Benefits - NOT ENTITLED TO ANYTHING! :(

Yeah I went to citizens advice but because of the new goverment benefit cap means I can't have a penny because my other half works over 24 hours, I told him last night if I go into labour and I can't pay for my phone bill and get cut off don't be annoyed I couldn't get in touch (think that made him realise that he needs to help)

Well he fully well knows where the door is if he doesn't want to help out, I'm not having him here not helping and getting away with it, because at the end of the day baby comes first :)

At least ur standing up for yourself & laying down the law!

He'll have to start supporting you... Hope u get sorted soon.

We're not entitled to anything because we both work n struggle to make ends meet. It would b nice if working people were rewarded in some way also in times of need

But nope!

As long as the politicians are happy with there income and lavish houses and expenses that's all that matters these days - rest of us have to struggle and get by

Hey there, I haven't read all the above comments so I apologise if this has been mentioned but have you thought about taken them to a tribunal for unfair dismissal? They cant just tell you not to come back without a valid reason and following the correct protocol! As you said you were there 26 weeks prior to getting pregnant I am guessing you had passed your probationary period? I know how you feel about the jsa as my OH wasnt entitled when he was out of work cuz I worked so I had to pay all the bills and support him! Try to go for contribution based jsa instead as thats based on you NI payments from the previous year xx

Remember there are no-win-no-fee law firms out there, might be worth speaking to one of them about whether you have an unfair dismissal case.

:hugs:

At the moment there are no fees for bringing a claim in an employment tribunal (not yet anyway - due to be introduced in July) and you don't need a lawyer to being a claim, so what CAB told you is incorrect. When were you fired? You only have 3 months to bring the claim from the date of dismissal. if you are still in time you need to complete a ET1 form and, if you have time I would recommend calling ACAS - see https://www.gov.uk/employment-tribunals/taking-a-case-to-an-employment-tribunal

Is this the 500 £ grand or similar ? (sorry my Lo is 5 hahah) Just wanted to say that I didn't qualify for mine until AFTER I had baby either same as another lady mentioned...I think because before I wasn't in receipt of benefits etc and AFTER the birth I was getting ctc and wtc so I qualified then... it's a funny bloody system isn't it x

I'm in the same situation. I lost my job when pregnant, and then gave birth to Joshua. I tried claiming unfair dismissal, but new laws state if you haven't worked somewhere for12 months they can get rid of you, this is to protect employers from unfair dismissal cases. I went to a no win no fee lawyer, and there was nothing they could do to help. I then claimed maternity allowance after losing Joshua as I wasn't ready to search for work. The week my maternity allowance was ending I managed to find work. I then worked start of September till Christmas Eve. I was hoping to be kept on, but knew being pregnant it was a slim chance. I then signed on to jsa and to no surprise haven't been able to find work. I also can't claim income support because of what my partner earns, I'm on the 'wrong type' of jsa to claim sure start grant, and because most of my test period I was on maternity allowance, I can't claim it this time, so I literally don't have a penny to my name. My partner isn't great with money and I've just found out about a few debts he hasn't mentioned. I honestly have no idea how we're going to cope. He's struggling to pay all the bills at the moment, and I use my jsa to pay my phone, our tv rental and the food shopping. When my jsa stops next week, we can't afford to eat. Still got the pram to pay off and a few other bits we need. It's scary. I've worked and had my own money since I was 16, and guess I just assumed I'd get maternity allowance. Terrified about how we're going to cope :( if you've worked the 26 weeks there's no reason why you shouldn't get maternity allowance though, so you should be in a slightly better position x

Do they still do crisis loans? I thought under the new system they didn't anymore, and instead they give out vouchers? Could be wrong though!

Even if you don't want to leave him hun you could always kick him out, although I know this wouldn't reflect well overall on the relationship :( , this would mean you'd be able to claim something I think? It's a sucky situation but he needs to realise you're serious!
xx

As far as last year they did because my mum was advised by them to try but got offered a job so didn't need to but it may well have changed after all these changes they have made :flower:

Do they still do crisis loans? I thought under the new system they didn't anymore, and instead they give out vouchers? Could be wrong though!

Even if you don't want to leave him hun you could always kick him out, although I know this wouldn't reflect well overall on the relationship :( , this would mean you'd be able to claim something I think? It's a sucky situation but he needs to realise you're serious!
xx

As far as last year they did because my mum was advised by them to try but got offered a job so didn't need to but it may well have changed after all these changes they have made :flower:

I think it's just started now, coming in with the universal credits. I vaguely remember reading something about it now being a discretionary fund? No idea, lol!

EDIT -

https://www.gov.uk/crisis-loans/overview

Yes, no more crisis loans :(

All I can do now is wait and see if I am entitled to maternity allowance - I worked it out to be 26 weeks exactly but depends how they count it, for example I started 2nd April so counted that as the first week but they might go from the week after being the first week if so will end up being 24 weeks.

If I can't have that then I will question them about it, because I do believe I have worked the 26 weeks as stated in the information about it.

If not then I will have to wait till baby arrives and claim child benefit, tax credits and working tax credits for the OH and apply for the sure start grant again and then try and get back into work as soon as possible which I didn't want to do straight away as I want to bring my son up and not miss out on his first things he does.

I'm in the same situation. I lost my job when pregnant, and then gave birth to Joshua. I tried claiming unfair dismissal, but new laws state if you haven't worked somewhere for12 months they can get rid of you, this is to protect employers from unfair dismissal cases. I went to a no win no fee lawyer, and there was nothing they could do to help.

Just in case anyone else reading this thinks they might have a claim, if you can prove that the dismissal was for a reason such pregnancy, it does not matter how long you have worked for the employer as it is an automatically unfair reason for dismissal. So the 12/24 months continuous service rules don't apply.

People that have never worked in their lives get everything paid for but people that do work and pay taxes lose out whenever they need help! The systems all backwards!

People that have never worked in their lives get everything paid for but people that do work and pay taxes lose out whenever they need help! The systems all backwards!

I completely agree when I went to the job centre, I said to them the working person always comes out worse off and she looked at me blank and said I don't understand what you mean, she fully well did know what I meant - they obviously can't express their opinions in the job that they are in!

I'm in the same situation. I lost my job when pregnant, and then gave birth to Joshua. I tried claiming unfair dismissal, but new laws state if you haven't worked somewhere for12 months they can get rid of you, this is to protect employers from unfair dismissal cases. I went to a no win no fee lawyer, and there was nothing they could do to help.

Just in case anyone else reading this thinks they might have a claim, if you can prove that the dismissal was for a reason such pregnancy, it does not matter how long you have worked for the employer as it is an automatically unfair reason for dismissal. So the 12/24 months continuous service rules don't apply.

I'd worked there 7 months, saw two different lawyers, who both said the same thing. Because I hadn't worked there 12 months, there was nothing they could do to help, pregnancy related or not.

Sorry to hear things are so difficult for you. Do you have any legal cover under your household insurance policy? May be worth checking as they may be able to help you bring a claim against your former employers, at no cost to you.

Unfortunately I don't because I am living with parents, as we can't afford our own place on one wage and a baby on the way :(

This makes me so mad, we are surrounded by families that have never worked a day in their lives, they get rent council tax paid, get drunk every night afford new cars and holidays and when someone who has worked needs genuine help they have no chance.
tell your oh to quit his job, bot claim benefits then you will be better off. (only joking by the way)
i just hope you manage to sort something out, i do think you will have a case, even if in probationary period you still have rights and employers still have to follow proper dismissal rules.
loads of luck to you x

Sorry to hear your in this situation hun. Hopefully you should get the MA. My sister had only worked some of hers as part weeks but still gets it so you should be ok so long as you had income for 26 weeks.

Lexi, has your OH spoken to the companies he has debts with? My hubby used to be a debt advisor and assures me that if it's a choice between eating and paying off debts food comes first. Maybe seek some advice about it if that would take the pressure off. He used to go through peoples budgets with them too as part of the service which might also help.

When I first told my OH about having to support me and not being able to claim any money for myself - he reacted the same way and was saying he should pack up working and then we would then be given everything on a plate, but it's just not in our nature

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->