Benefits of bf exadurated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

minnieoxox

Reaction score
I'm sick of being pressured into bf. I have made my decision to ff and that isn't going to change, the thought of bf makes me very uncomfortable and just isn't for me. I understand there are some benefits to bf but i am pretty certain these are completely over exadurated! Does anyone who ff's actually feel that their children are less healthy or more insecure than any bf baby?!

I dont think the benefits of BF are exadurated. I think there is evidence to the research. BUT your baby has to eat and you really only have 2 choices so you have to do whats right for your child. Who knows, maybe next baby youll change your mind?

BTW- I FF my DS, FF/BF DD1 and BF DD2 so ive been on both sides. :hugs:

I have amazing bond with my son who was exclusively FF, he's healthy in general, other than reflux he didn't have any health issues when he was a baby. I don't think his reflux was due to FFing, my aunt has 4 kids, all were exclusively BF until 2 yrs but they all suffered from reflux.

He's a very smart kid, he's above average & very advanced for his age. I know bfing is best & I don't think the benefits of bfing are exaggerated , but it didn't work for us as I didn't have any milk to bf, we moved on & FFed him from birth. It didn't do him any harm.

Good luck Hun xx

There is some scientific merit in the research, but also often it's misinterpreted by various agencies reporting upon it (be that health promotion organisations, the media, various pressure groups etc). I always love the Fearless Formula Feeder's page for her picking the research apart and looking at it as to what it's ACTUALLY saying compared to what the newspaper headlines about it all screech so to speak.

I'd argue that a lack of nutrition from a lack of supply or latch or whatever other physiological reason preventing breastfeeding (that they'll all sit one forum up and deny happens), or a mentally unhealthy mother because of being backed into something she's uncomfortable with is by far more detrimental to long-term prospects personally!

I dont think the benefits of BF are exadurated. I think there is evidence to the research. BUT your baby has to eat and you really only have 2 choices so you have to do whats right for your child. Who knows, maybe next baby youll change your mind?

Do you feel that your first baby was less healthy or more insecure than your 3rd? just out of curiosity. xx

No i dont think they are, you cant deny the fact that breast-milk contains antibody's and formula doesnt. That breastfeeding produces oxytocin which is the love hormone so it can help with bonding, you can get it from other things so that can be made up for. You also cant get around the fact that breastfeeding lowers the risk of certain cancers because of the hormones and chemicals at play while your breastfeeding.

Do you feel that your first baby was less healthy or more insecure than your 3rd? just out of curiosity. xx

Im going to be honest and say yes. BUT i cant comment if its from FF.

He has different circumstances than DD1 and DD2. He is vaccinated, he is in public school and was in daycare when little and he is sick more often. However, he was my first and I did things by the book with him and i didnt know any better. By time I got to #3, I switched completely around... BF, non vax, Homeschool/no daycare, and she honestly is hardly sick and shes VERY clingy (at 4, almost 5 she still sleeps in my bed). DD1 is a mix of both of them.

I don't think the benefits are exaggerated, but I also don't think formula is going to doom your child to poor health. Also, you never know how you'll feel about breastfeeding until you have your baby. Plenty of women are uncomfortable with the idea of it and then change their mind after birth. You might be surprised at how naturally it comes to you. Whatever your decision is, there's no need to believe that you aren't doing your very best.

It's no good asking individuals. Most people will say I FF and my kids are fine. Because actually most kids are fine. However, medical research based on much higher numbers of people does show that there are some health risks if you choose to formula feed. They are not necessarily massive risks, but there are risks all the same. Breastmilk is a baby's natural food after all. If you choose to formula feed then your baby will not get the same protection that would have been in your breast milk. However, if you choose to formula feed it does not mean you won't bond with your baby, it does not mean you don't love your baby and it does not mean your baby will not be healthy.

I don't think the risks associated with formula feeding or the benefits of breastfeeding are being exaggerated. Numerous studies prove that breastfeeding is the healthiest choice and this is hardly surprising as it is natural that human babies would do best on human milk. Comparing one kid down the street who was BF with another kid down the street who was FF is not scientific - those kids could have completely different circumstances regarding their health.

However, you do have a choice. And if you choose not to breastfeed then you have every right to make that choice. If you are certain you won't change your mind then people pressuring you is not acceptable.

I breast fed Izzy for a week, expressed for a week and comi fed for a week. I got bleeding cracked nipples and mastisis and due to me not feeling comfortable definitely in public and having so many visitors i got to the point where i would dread Izzy waking up.
I also then needed to go on medication wi.ah cannot be taking whilst breast feeding so i had to stop. I cried when she was given her first formula feed and i still have days now where i feel guilty but i was not happy breast feeding and an un happy mommy is an un happy baby.
You do what you feel comfortable doing.
When your baby is ten a teacher won't be able to pick out in class which child was ff fame which was bf.
I also think some things are exaggerated. They say it raises iq, i believe if a child is going to have an iq of 98 bf may raise that to 99 but its all down to the parenting after all.

Maybe just give your little girl a day of colostrum, many of my friends regret not doing that.

Im going to ban visitor for five days with my next baby so i can get comfortable with bf.
Sorry for rambling x

I believe a lot of the research on breastfeeding is interpreted in a very biased light. Some of the benefits are definitely exaggerated, or at least the information is presented in a way that is not entirely honest.

There are benefits to breastfeeding but most of those benefits are quite minimal in the grand scheme of things IMO.

I'd still do it again though (or try, anyway) for my next child. Mainly because I wanted that experience. For ME. I won't say I enjoyed it when I was breastfeeding because actually it was pretty traumatic most of the time, but I longed for the experience.

That's me though. I think for a mother who really honestly doesn't want t do it, feeling like you have to might just breed resentment. So go with your gut. Your baby will thrive either way. And breastfeeding doesn't make a better mother.

As with anything that is good for you, it isn't that far of a stretch before a list of benefits turns into dramatic hypebole.

A benefits campaign turns into a risk based campaign with threats and accusations fairly quickly.

Breastmilk has lots of natural antibodies and nutrients and is obviously the food nature intended for our babies.
It isn't a magical elixir that will insure a cancer, illness free life with guaranteed admission to an elite university.

Holding your baby close to you and feeding him/her is a very bonding experience from bottle or breast.

It doesn't affect anyone's life except yours whether you BF or FF. It isn't anyone's business. There is sooooooo much more to being a mother than breastfeeding. In the early baby days, it's all about feeding, pooping and sleeping. That will all change. Feeding will always be important of course, but it won't always be the level of intensity that it is in the early days. It's tiring and demanding from the breast or bottle so it's easy to let it become an obsession.

You have years and years to provide your child a healthy diet, intellectual stimulus, a safe and healthy place to play, learn and grow. Infant feeding is a blip on the radar by the time your child is older and you've been through potty training, first steps, preschool, summer camp, that first lost tooth, hours in the evening helping with homework,...etc.

Please try to enjoy your precious baby. They are only little for such a short time and it is awful to spend that time in grief, guilt and second guessing yourself. I know. Some of us desperately wanted to breastfeed and not being able to do it, or do it for as long as we wanted to was devastating. Thank G_d that a product such a formula exists when breastfmilk isn't available for whatever reason.

Wishing you all the best.

There are benefits to bm of course and whilst i do think some of them are over played there is no denying they exist. What has always amazed me is that formula lacks so much that bm has and yet allows children to grow and develop normally and lead normal lives with only slightly poorer health outcomes than bf'ed kids (with most kids fine however they were fed). That's pretty amazing really and shows what a great invention formula is. We should be so grateful we have it rather than bashing it and making people feel bad for using it.

Thanks for all the advice and info.. :hugs:
Defiantly made me feel better about everything. I know I am doing what is best for me and my baby and I won't be pressurized into anything else. I will think about expressing colostrum and mixing it with formula though, I didn't know I could do this. :D

I was bf for a year, my husband was ff from birth. He is way healthier than me! However you need to look deeper than that - my Mum smoked all through pregnancy and for all of my childhood, right in front of me. She also never set a good example with food, I ate an awful diet until my 20's. my husband was never around smokers and they ate a healthy diet and were encouraged to exercise.

I don't believe the benefits are exaggerared at all. What I do believe is that most people bf/ff for one year which is a tiny amount of time in a life! I think the foods you encourage your child to eat after that will probably have a much bigger impact on their lives.

Yes, that is a very valid point - no good BF for a year and then taking them for a Maccy D's on a daily basis from then on!

Yes, that is a very valid point - no good BF for a year and then taking them for a Maccy D's on a daily basis from then on!

Agree with this. My brother was exclusively BF for 2 yrs, he never had a bottle or formula, now at 19 yrs, he's overweight as he eats all types of junk all day. He also had asthma when he was a kid & he used to wear glasses (had eye correction surgery few months. He used to end up in the hospital every time he used to get a cold. he struggled at school but he's doing fine in college.

I was exclusively BF for 1 yr & never had formula. I have a good immunity, but I also had weight issues until I was 20 yrs. my IQ is above average, I scored well in school & I was a manager at the age of 26.

One of my brothers was combi fed until 6 months (supply & latching issues) then exclusively FF. he never had weight issues, he was very active as a kid & his diet was always healthy. & he's very smart, he's 26, he's a mechanical engineer & he's very successful.

My eldest brother was bf for one yr then he was on formula, he also had some weight issues & he was average at school.

We all had BM & we were raised in the same house when we were kids but we are so different xx

exactly. I was so overweight growing up. Look up breastfed baby and you would not expect to find me. I have asthma & eczema which were really bad growing up. I was sooo bad at sport! I am pretty smart but not in an exceptional way. If the only information you were given about me and hubby was whether we were bf/ff then you would 100% choose to ff!

There is some scientific merit in the research, but also often it's misinterpreted by various agencies reporting upon it (be that health promotion organisations, the media, various pressure groups etc). I always love the Fearless Formula Feeder's page for her picking the research apart and looking at it as to what it's ACTUALLY saying compared to what the newspaper headlines about it all screech so to speak.

I'd argue that a lack of nutrition from a lack of supply or latch or whatever other physiological reason preventing breastfeeding (that they'll all sit one forum up and deny happens), or a mentally unhealthy mother because of being backed into something she's uncomfortable with is by far more detrimental to long-term prospects personally!

I love the fearless formula feeder as I am both a ffer and a stats geek. Bad science pees me off. But someone said more eloquently than I ever could how marvellous it is that formula exists and that it can sustain. And personally I'm very greatful I can buy it in tesco rather than having to source a wet nurse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->