Benefits of bf exadurated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my own experience, having both BF and FF no I don't think the benefits are exaggerated. When Eamon was BF, he'd never had a lick wrong with him. As soon as he was given formula, he got constipated... and I'm still fighting the same battle today with him. I regret stopping BF at 11 months very, very much as I know had I not made the switch he would not have suffered for it.

He also went from perfect immunity-- never been sick in his life-- to getting colds every two weeks and the like. So for Eamon, BM was infinitely superior. He was miserable on formula but I had to keep him on it as he needed the calories and my BM had long dried up when I wanted to change him back :(

So the moral of my story for my boys... don't mess with nature! I know countless babies thrive as FF, but my son definitely didn't.

There is some interesting research out there. A recent study looked at how gut bacteria grows differently when exposed to breastmilk as opposed to cow's milk or formula. It was an interesting study, and the researchers had a really nice take on it - along the lines of "If we could work out why this happens, then we could make formula better by replicating the effect." Which is what I think research into breastmilk *should* be doing, rather than tired studies, beating the dead horse of trying to show (again) how breastfeeding is infinitely superior.

I could type up a huge post about the very dubious research which supposedly "supports" this idea that breastfeeding is The One True Way Which All Mothers Should Follow", the science of "risk", research methodology etc... However, I've got a baby who I want to spend time with, so instead I shall refer you on to a couple of posts by the amazing Polly Palumbo, who writes the fantastic blog "Momma Data". And dizz already mentioned the Fearless Formula Feeder, who has also done great blogs on this subject (and a book, in fact!) and is well worth a look at if you've never been over that way.

https://www.mommadata.com/2012/10/tossing-formula-out-along-with-facts.html
https://www.mommadata.com/2012/10/fact-checking-breastfeeding-media-other.html
https://www.fearlessformulafeeder.com/

Eala you always manage to say what i want to say but you manage to say it better than i ever could.

Personally I dont think the benefits of breastfeeding are over exaggerated- it is what we are supposed to feed our young on after all. It HAS to be better for this reason. However I do think the hyperbole of the evils of formula is over exaggerated. You're not a bad mum if you do use formula, your baby will grow and be healthy but in making the choice to formula feed you have to make an informed choice to take the risks.

My daughter is formula fed and right up until she went to daycare she was fine.. since then however she has had cold after cold ear infections and also a couple of stomach bugs. Maybe breastfeeding would have set her up better- but the simple fact of the matter for me is that although inconvenient- colds ear infections and stomach upsets are all minor childhood illnesses. I would have LOVED to have breastfed- but it wasn't to be. Formula although not having the "benefits" of breast milk certainly didn't harm my child irreparably.

Can't see why the benefits of breastfeeding would be exaggerated? Why would that happen? Who does that benefit, just don't see the point.

It's not like anyone stands to make profits by talking up the benefits of breastfeeding. Although there was some interesting recent research by UNICEF UK that suggests if more women were supported to breastfeed the NHS could save 40 million pounds.
https://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/o...stfeeding-nhs-savings-unicef&cat=lifeandstyle

There are a fair number of problems with that "study". Again, FFF for one has already said it (better than I could) so here's the link:

https://www.fearlessformulafeeder.com/2012/10/the-two-headed-chimera-of-infant-feeding-studies/

As for no-one making profit from BF'ing... seriously? Just off the top of my head... Boppy, Lansinoh, Ameda, Medela (or any pump manufacturer, especially in the USA where mat leave is so short), any company who makes nursing bras, or nursing tops, lactation consultants, organisations who charge for breastfeeding classes... Need I go on? Just because it's not those big, evil formula companies who are making the money from it, doesn't mean it's somehow a totally squeaky-clean, "no money involved" affair. And yes, there are plenty of women who get by without involving any of the above. But there are a heck of a lot of women who do use at least one of the things I've mentioned. The companies who make these products or provide these services sure aren't doing it out of the goodness of their collective hearts...

As for why have the benefits been exaggerated, well, I'm not sure anyone knows. The WHO and various governments around the world like to be seen to be promoting "health" in general, and perhaps seems like a fairly easy bandwagon to jump on? Make a lot of fanfare about how breast is best (as "proven" by study X, Y, or Z, quick, ignore the fact that those studies have methodological holes the size of a moon crater) and it makes it look as though the Governments are doing something positive. The fact that they then don't back up this fanfare with meaningful, genuine support, regardless of post-code, time of birth, or whatever, doesn't matter to them. They can still tick that box which says the Mum was breastfeeding when she left the hospital, and that's them happy.

I sometimes think the benefits are exaggerated through pure ignorance, or a lack of ability to understand how to translate "risk" into real terms. You get given a percentage of how much more or less likely something is to happen to a BF baby or a formula-fed baby, and people start shrieking about how terrible formula is. If the media outlets who reported these studies had any staff with scientific/research training, then they'd know that it's not as cut and dried as that. So yes, a study may show that formula fed infants are X percent more likely to get an ear infection. But out of 1000 BF babies and 1000 formula-fed babies, that might only mean that 2 BF babies will get ear infections and 3 FF babies will.

Anyway. I am rambling when there is housework to do. Seriously, read the Momma Data blogs. She explains it far better than I can.

I find it a bit hypocritical for someone to talk about agendas when their own site is specifically to "defend" formula feeding - if that's not an agenda, I don't know what is.

So why do other people's agendas lead to exaggeration but not hers? Or put another way, if we were to question people who encourage breastfeeding, then shouldn't we also question people who question those people? Biases and exaggerations aren't exclusive to any one side.

I just dislike it when people turn to some conspiracy theory about hidden agendas to bolster their arguement, base on conjectures, without any factual evidence whatsoever. This happens, whether it's about drug companies, formula companies, the government, or the medical community. So what if companies make profits from trends? There are companies that make products for safe co-sleeping, movement monitors etc, are they in a conspiracy about SIDS deaths? Do government agencies have hidden agendas about safe sleeping guidelines?

It's fine to question the methodology or the way the results are written - though I have yet to come a cross a leaflet that says "if you formula feed, this will happen etc", it's very clear to me that these are all about relative risks - but it's another thing to question the intention behind the science without factual evidence of collusion, corruption or misbehavior.

Why does it have to be like "I'm choosing to formula feed so let's minimize the benefits of breastfeeding" or "I'm breastfeeding so let's talk about how terrible formula is"?

Formula is best for some people and some situations. I do think everyone should at least try to breastfeed, even just once, but at the end of the day if you don't want to it's your decision and as long as you're happy with it, then that's all that matters. If you're 100% not going to breastfeed then why does it matter what the benefits of breastfeeding are or aren't?

I'm really not trying to be rude, I suppose I just don't understand the point of this thread. If you were trying to decide whether or not to breastfeed, then this would make sense. But otherwise, I don't get it. :shrug:

I'm researching and putting probiotics in his formula now, just trying to get some kind of help that he could have gotten with my breastmilk.

Had no idea about this. Will look into this myself :)

Why does it have to be like "I'm choosing to formula feed so let's minimize the benefits of breastfeeding" or "I'm breastfeeding so let's talk about how terrible formula is"?

Formula is best for some people and some situations. I do think everyone should at least try to breastfeed, even just once, but at the end of the day if you don't want to it's your decision and as long as you're happy with it, then that's all that matters. If you're 100% not going to breastfeed then why does it matter what the benefits of breastfeeding are or aren't?

I'm really not trying to be rude, I suppose I just don't understand the point of this thread. If you were trying to decide whether or not to breastfeed, then this would make sense. But otherwise, I don't get it. :shrug:

TBH I mostly posted because I was ranting, my mum had been going on at me how good breastfeeding was and that I wouldn't bond with my baby and she would be ill and insecure.. Which really upset me. Probably a little pointless, but have gotten lots of info and advice from it, so it has actually been useful. :D

Personally its too hard for me to decide whether or not the benefits of BF are exaggerated because the results of the studies are not presented in a clear, accesible format.
The use phrases like "4 times and likely", "half as likely" etc, but what does that actually equate to in numbers?
I would like to see the information presented as (for example):

10,000 EBF babies and 10,000 EFF babies where included in this study.

X amount of the BF sample contracted at least 1 ear infection in their first year of life, with a range of x-x many ear infections. Meaning that the average number of ear infections per infant for the BF sample is X.
X amount of the FF sample contracted at least 1 ear infection in their first year of life, with a range of x-x many ear infections. Meaning the avaerage number of ear infections per infant for the FF sample is X.

And the same for all the benefits they want to claim one feeding method has over the other.

This would help me greater understand. However I would still be wary of the accuracy of information dependant on who the studies were carried out by (ie, where they carried out by a formula company or LLL etc).
You would also have to take into consideration that all the families taking part in the studies will have different backgrounds and situations that may impact the study results. xxx

I'm not trying to be rude either, but I don't understand the point of questioning why someone's insecurity about formula feeding from birth is inadequate enough to post a thread, basically looking for support from other formula feeding mamas. I haven't been in the exact situation as the OP but I do know what it feels like to have pressure from family to breastfeed, even when they just mean the best. It really hurts and brings feelings of failure to yet another intensity for some, when really we need to be brought up and march on, so to say, because it really isn't the end of the world. It helps talking to others in similar positions to feel better about the choice, and even lack of choice, which brought them to formula feed. Hope you see what I mean, and again, I'm honestly not trying to be rude.

Surely it's a valid question?

You hear people say "breast is best" for the first time and are just supposed to accept it as gospal? Surely we have the right to question where, when, and who when it comes to the evidence to support this statement, and to question the validity, relevance and quality of study? Surely we have the right to give an opinion based on whatever knowledge we have on the subject as to whether we think the statement is exaggerated or not?
Personally I think its an interesting and extremely valid topic for discussion and just because it came from someone who uses formula rather than breastfeeds doesnt make it any less so. xx

I breastfed dd2 and shes really healthy, doesnt get ill often (touch wood)
dd1 was ff and she gets more colds/bugs (but not too often just more than dd2)
ds was breastfed for 5days before i had to stop so hes been ff since and he has really bad dermititus and reflux.

however i dont know if its down to the feeding method. ive herd lots of people say they bf and their babies have reflux/skin probs/not great immune system ect.

so breastfeeding may not mean your Lo will be in wonderfull health who knows it might do.

but i think yiou have to want to do it, if you want to ff then ff dont let anyone pressure you to do different.

If you do a google search for benefits of breastfeeding there are quite a lot of so called benefits out there on respected websites that just don't stand up to scrutiny. I'm talking asthma, exzema, obesity, diabetes, leukaemia, allergies, heart disease etc. In this sense the benefits of breastfeeding are massively exaggerated and it's not downplaying breastfeeding, it's about giving correct information.

However there are very real benefits such as the immuno boost, being less prone to ear infections and tummy bugs and many more that do stand up to scrutiny. Surely it's better to be given the truth of the very real benefits than perpetuate rubbish myths that just make mothers feel bad?

Saphira, you're right, there was no point to calling this thread pointless. This is why I shouldn't BNB when I'm in a bad mood. :haha:

I like to think that fact i couldnt bf isnt the reason ds has reflux and dermititus, cos id just beat myself up about it even though theres nothing i could have done. but in one of my threads many bfing mums Lo's have the same as my son so i try to focus on that. i guess its just your luck.

I find it a bit hypocritical for someone to talk about agendas when their own site is specifically to "defend" formula feeding - if that's not an agenda, I don't know what is.

No, her site is about supporting infant feeding CHOICE. She stands up for breastfeeders, formula-feeders, combi-feeders, tube-feeders, and everyone else. She (and people who generally frequent the site) believe that it is not as cut and dried as "Thou shalt breastfeed OR ELSE!" and question the research and policies which present this viewpoint.

That doesn't mean she is anti-breastfeeding, or questions studies for the fun of it.

Whether or not you want to believe that she is on some kind of anti-breastfeeding agenda, the fact that the UNICEF study (amongst others) has flaws doesn't change just because you don't like the person/site pointing out the flaws.

ETA: https://www.sheknows.com/parenting/...-vs-breast-new-book-on-how-we-feed-our-babies This pretty much explains her stance, just so we are clear.

Does anyone who ff's actually feel that their children are less healthy or more insecure than any bf baby?!

Hon, the plural of anecdote is not data. Stories from a few people about how their FF child is just as healthy as BF kids don't negate the fact that there are proven benefits to BF.

Of course, it's your choice what you want to do. The benefits of BF are really not exaggerated. If anything, formula companies want you to believe they are exaggerated because nobody makes any money off women choosing to BF (by which I mean you don't HAVE to buy pumps, boppies, etc to BF - I haven't - but you HAVE to buy formula to formula feed. Also the costs of choosing to buy a pump, breastfeeding accessories, etc, really don't compare at all to the costs of formula).

Of course, it's your choice what you want to do. The benefits of BF are really not exaggerated. If anything, formula companies want you to believe they are exaggerated because nobody makes any money off women choosing to BF (by which I mean you don't HAVE to buy pumps, boppies, etc to BF - I haven't - but you HAVE to buy formula to formula feed. Also the costs of choosing to buy a pump, breastfeeding accessories, etc, really don't compare at all to the costs of formula).

I know the cost of formula per month varies depending on brand bought and country but on average we pay 35€ a month for formula. She kills a couple packs a week on average, each going for 4€ a pack so I've averaged it up to 35€. We buy her bottles when they're on special, two with two extra teats cost 3€, and we do this every few months.

My Medela Swing pump cost 150€ plus storage bottles (around 2 for 12€). I also went through a ton of breast pads, which cost around 5€ for 30. Breast pads were a MUST for me as was the pump or else she wouldn't have gotten any breastmilk at all in those first weeks.

Taking just that into consideration it would have bought my baby at least 4 month's worth of formula and bottles.:lol: So, I don't really consider it to be that expensive to formula feed - and in my case, I had to support both the "evil" breastfeeding and formula feeding companies.:lol:

I know the cost of formula per month varies depending on brand bought and country but on average we pay 35€ a month for formula. She kills a couple packs a week on average, each going for 4€ a pack so I've averaged it up to 35€. We buy her bottles when they're on special, two with two extra teats cost 3€, and we do this every few months.

My Medela Swing pump cost 150€ plus storage bottles (around 2 for 12€). I also went through a ton of breast pads, which cost around 5€ for 30. Breast pads were a MUST for me as was the pump or else she wouldn't have gotten any breastmilk at all in those first weeks.

Taking just that into consideration it would have bought my baby at least 4 month's worth of formula and bottles.:lol: So, I don't really consider it to be that expensive to formula feed - and in my case, I had to support both the "evil" breastfeeding and formula feeding companies.:lol:

It still seems like the balance of costs works out heavily in favour of BF as FF goes on for a lot more than four months... Also you could have bought or borrowed a second-hand pump, or hand-expressed if really pushed. My point is that there is no way of getting around the cost of formula, whereas breastfeeding does not necessarily have any hard costs attached to it. Occasionally pumps etc are necessarily, usually they're an optional convenience.

It still seems like the balance of costs works out heavily in favour of BF as FF goes on for a lot more than four months... Also you could have bought or borrowed a second-hand pump, or hand-expressed if really pushed. My point is that there is no way of getting around the cost of formula, whereas breastfeeding does not necessarily have any hard costs attached to it. Occasionally pumps etc are necessarily, usually they're an optional convenience.

In the UK if you are on certain benefits and a low income then you can get what's called Healthy Start vouchers that you can use in shops to put towards paying for formula. These equate to about £7-ish a week I believe (not 100% sure as I dont use them myself) and a tub of formula that usually last a weeks cost between £7.99-£9.49 depending on which brand you buy. So in this instance FF may wourk out cheaper than buying a pump for expressing if breastfeeding. xxx

True, can't disagree with that. Breastfeeding could technically be completely free. I actually just found out a few months back that pumps are given on prescription in Germany! Why I wasn't informed this during my first pregnancy, I have no idea, but found this out during a random conversation with my gynecologist. That would have saved that 150€ err!

In the UK if you are on certain benefits and a low income then you can get what's called Healthy Start vouchers that you can use in shops to put towards paying for formula. These equate to about £7-ish a week I believe (not 100% sure as I dont use them myself) and a tub of formula that usually last a weeks cost between £7.99-£9.49 depending on which brand you buy. So in this instance FF may wourk out cheaper than buying a pump for expressing if breastfeeding. xxx

When the pediatrician was trying to rule out a cow's milk allergy with my daughter because of her skin condition we were given prescriptions for hypoallergenic formulas, none of which she accepted, but in any case formula feeding would have been completely free except for the 3€ pack of 2 bottles. Thankfully that was ruled out though so 35€ a month for formula it is and I don't think that's too much at all. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"