Best Birth Control While Breastfeeding?

Shanslee

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I intend to breastfeed, and I'm starting to look at options for birth control during that time. I understand that there are some options that don't go well with breastfeeding, such as birth control pills that contain estrogen.

Looking at the options that might work, there are some that I have to rule out immediately...the IUD, for instance. I had one a while back and I loved the almost-guaranteed protection, but my periods were so painful that it was a relief to have it out!

Does anyone have advice on what worked best, or any recommendations on what to try -- or what to avoid?

I have the copper iud and I'm exclusively bf. I still haven't had a period so I have no idea if the iud will make them worse. My daughter is nearly 10 months so you might be the same and not have to worry about periods.

My doctor also told me that bf is a pretty good birth control on it's own and even said not to worry about the iud until I stopped but since my my mum got pregnant whilst bf I didn't want to risk it!

I had the implant put in last time. It worked well and didn't effect my milk supply but it made me very moody!

I have a copper IUD as well. I think it is the easiest form of birth control. It also doesn't have any hormones. Yes, last time I had this before I was TTC, my periods were a little heavier. It is worth it to me though!

Thank you for the advice. :)

Going with the copper IUD again is tempting, because it was really so easy to rely on...but the painful periods were just so annoying.

The implant is an option...my only concern with that is the moodiness, like you mentioned, LoraLoo. I tend to respond very strongly to any hormonal medications -- the wrong type of birth control pill can make me downright NUTS. So I'm a little concerned that the implant might turn me into a crazy woman and I would have to take it out.

Thanks again for the advice!

I had the implant, this was my 3rd. It did effect my milk supply and turned me into a horrible hormal raging beast (I'd been a delightfull happy dream all the way through pregnancy and up until I had it fitted) I got headaches all the time and bled constantly. I hated it. I'd say unless you've got the time and patience to let it settle then and see if it will work for you then avoid it. this can take up to 6 months apparently, although I had my 2nd one for 1.5 years and that never did and I bled constantly. They're brilliant if they work but horrific if they don't.

I had the implant, this was my 3rd. It did effect my milk supply and turned me into a horrible hormal raging beast (I'd been a delightfull happy dream all the way through pregnancy and up until I had it fitted) I got headaches all the time and bled constantly. I hated it. I'd say unless you've got the time and patience to let it settle then and see if it will work for you then avoid it. this can take up to 6 months apparently, although I had my 2nd one for 1.5 years and that never did and I bled constantly. They're brilliant if they work but horrific if they don't.

Thank you for sharing this. The more I have learned about the implants, the more I am leaning against it. With my luck, my hormones would take a dive off the deep end of the crazy pool.

I had to stop bf'ing a month ago, but from 6-weeks pp till about 5 months I was on the mini pill and had no issues at all. I also never got my period while bf'ing though.

While I was BF I had the implant and I loved it, my only issue was not getting a period, I was taking pregnancy tests all the time for the peace of mind. After that I got the copper IUD put in and also loved that, the only reason I got it removed was to TTC. But the implant did not affect my milk supply, had 300 oz in the freezer at the time i finally decided donating was a good option :haha:

I am nursing my 5 month lo and am on the mini pill. I've had no period yet but like someone else my mom got pregnant while bf. I don't want to take any chances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->