Best sling/carrier for very active mom

A

anothersquish

I am looking for a very safe and secure carrier for baby to be in whilst I am "doing" things (by this I mean things like mucking out horses stables and the like) although I can avoid bending over too far it needs to be something that will hold baby securely and closely to me without me having to adjust it or feel like baby will fall out if I do anything other than stay 100% upright.
Its important I find the right one else baby will be left in his pram hidden in a corner whilst I do things when my OH cant keep him at home which I REALLY dont want...I seriously HATE the thought of leaving him sat there, potentially partly out of my sight so he isnt in any drafts. If hes strapped to me then he can easily be kept warm and hes constantly in my line of sight (besides Im a natural baby wearer!)
So suggestions? I have decided Im not going to be too scared of the prices, I just need to go with something secure, preferably that can be worn front and back and that suits taller people (I am 5'8 OH is 6'3, I will be using it most though) Im not fussy about it being pretty or coming in a million colours. Just practical and comfortable to wear for several hours at a time.

I like the babybjorn. It is £55 in boots but you can get one in excellent condition from ebay for about half price. I think that they also sell them at nct nearly new sales.

It is really easy to use. Only a few things to undo/do up when you put them in. Brilliant for walking in and some chores around the house. I can't wash up with it - shame!

I got a Tomy one and regretted it as it was too complicated.

We had some professional sling wearers come to a group i go to and they had Mai Tais (or whatever they are called) which also look good but you do have to faf around tying them. They also had beautiful really long ones which they wrapped really cleverly. They looked so snug but they took a couple of minutes to wrap up.

Mei Tais are great and much more comfy than a Bjorn, if you are bothered about tying it (I'm not, I love it) then you can get a Connecta, just the same but with buckles.

A Mei Tai will be very comfy and will last 'til your baby is a toddler, my Bjorn made my back ache by the time Freya was 3 months. You can use them on your front, hip or back as well, so very versatile.

There are so many different types of slings, maybe before you decide you could try a sling meet ( www.slingmeet.co.uk ) to try them out?

:)

I think the ergo would be perfect for your needs - like a Mei Tai, but slightly more sporty and durable, and less, well, pretty ;) I used to have horses and I could imagine mucking out stalls with my LO in one too :)

A

Yeah, i'd recommend a cloth/woven carrier as they support LOs so much more. I use a Moby and I can bend over fully with Imi in it and she doesn't wvwn move. But even now at 3 months, when i tried her again in our structured carrier she wasn't secure and moved around all over the place!

Also, with the bjorn I felt very much like Freya was stuck out on my front rather than being more secure. I agree that a wrap is probably better for a young baby, and maybe if you are going to be doing active stuff while baby is still small then get a wrap for the first few months and a mei tai or something similar for when he is a bit bigger to use as well as the wrap. :D

Thanks for the suggestions and for the link, going to have a look. I will be doing MOST of the carrying when baby is very small, less once hes around 4 months old as my horses will be living out again by then so its more important to have one thats very good for newborn to 3 months.
Is there a particular wrap that would be reccomended? I ended up liking the connetcas despite initial reservations looking at them, I like Mei tais but not so sure on messing with the tying just because I may have to take it on and off several times in the space on a couple of hours so something with buckles/easy fastenings would be preferable to something that ties on.

Should add that I will probably want a warm, more flexible type wrap, a fleece one perhaps?
If anyone has any links to places that sell wraps in different materials Id be most interested, sorting out how to put a wrap on will probably confuse me for a few times but if baby is secure and wont need taking in and out so much its worth it. Plus I like that there are so many different ways of tying a wrap as per the different age of the baby AND they can be tied so baby can nurse at the same time ...big bonus!

Heya, I have a moby for when ym baby arrives because same as you i want something secure. I also have a meitai so i have choices.

Moby takes a lot of wrapping but once its on you can leave it on and take the baby in and out.

If you like the idea of a moby but dont like the idea of the wrapping you might find a close to me more appealing as it has a fixed waist strap so is a bit more 'instant' to put on.

Heres a you tube clip of how you put it on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-0eCD0zEp4 Personally i decided against this one because i like the idea of wrapping and i felt the baby would be more secure in something which is fully adjustable without any fixed straps

If you dont mind wrapping but you would like something fleecy then the calin bleu might be for you

https://www.calinbleu.com/baby-slings-soft-micro-fleece-c-1_2.html

Hope you find something you like xxx

Yeah I have a fleece calin bleu and I'd def recommend it, there are some wraps you can do which mean you can easily get baby in and out without having to keep undoing and redoing. I got mine 2nd hand off another forum for half the price x

Here's some bargains! I've got the first one, the pumpkin fleece: https://www.bigmamaslings.co.uk/zen-cart/sale-stuff-clearance-items-c-64_85.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->