Best story book for learning to read

BethK

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a really good book for my daughter. She was 4 last week and loves to sound out words. Problem is her story books (Gruffalo level) have complicated words in and the font is quite small.

I've looked for flashcards and first reading books but the flashcards have pictures on so when she see's the picture of a cat, she says 'cat', rather than read c a t, if you know what i mean.

Any recommendations on any simple 'the cat sat on the mat' type books or flashcards with the word on one side and picture on the other?

I LOVE Dr Suess books for reading!! I never really read the books myself when I was young but DD has started to read this year and they are brilliant! They are colour coded too, the green back books are the easiest. The pictures give clues and the rhyming words make it easy for them to sound out and predict words.

Thanks Tayla!

I have the Dr Suess books but hadn't thought about using them to help her learn to read.

Probably as they're quite long so i was thinking books with simple short sentences like 'The cat sat on the mat'.

She's only just 4 so has just started taking an interest in letters making words but she's not in school yet.

Your near me, I'm down the road in Bristol. My son has autism so learnt to read late. But he did learn to read. The are several books he used to help him. His school did the kipper books so we brought him the home set. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kipper-Collection-Books-Phonics-Stories/dp/B0056EW5WG We got them in the works originally when they do 4 for £5 or something like that.

We also got him the jolly phonics workbook set as that was also what he was learning at school.

There were also some good books we got from the library. They had big writing one side and little writing for the child. I can't remember for the life of me what it is called now.

As for flashcards I have no idea. We did have a blackboard we wrote words on to encourage him and also magnets we did words with also.

If you go on the book people website and type in songbirds Julia Donaldson they are a set of books by writer of gruffulo written to help teach phonics. I got set for£16 and there are 30 books all going up in sets of diffulculty. We used in school as well. They are great for sounding out

Sorry just checked its 36 books
My lo loves them. Is £16.99 on website thebookpeople.co.uk

That's brilliant thank you!
Just ordered the songbirds books :)
The kipper books look great too, too expensive on amazon so I got the songbird ones but I've found the level 1-3 kipper set at book people so I'll get those next :)

Thanks for your help! X

Your welcome. My lo loves them as nice length. We used them at school when I was a teacher to and perfect for sounding out

I'm not on computer at moment but later can post link to games and resources for teaching phonics if you like. There are sets of words you can print off and games for deciding which is rubbish word or treasure word. The web address is www.letters-and-sounds.com. ln the side bar on left side it has phases. Of you go from phase 2 and up its all sounding out

Thank you so much, we've been wondering how best to teach the phonics as some letters have more than one sound.

That website will really help, thank you :)

Its one we used to teach at school so will fit in with how most schools teach. With word cards in tescos they have some for £1.99 which have picture and word one side and then other side just word. I don't know if they would match what you want for flash cards. My lo loves her. We have a set of magnetic letters and magnetic board that my lo loves to. I have been stocking up as want to encourage as I'm dyslexic so chance is that lo is to so want to in courage her interest

We have some kipper books & the songbirds

There some free e-books on Oxford owl

https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk

There is also an iPad app for kippers books, they use it at Omar's school.

Reading eggs is also good, you can subscribe for a free 1 month trial
https://readingeggs.co.uk

Another book we used was Fat Cat on the Mat.

https://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&productId=373877&cm_mmc=googleBase-_---_---_-Fat%20Cat%20on%20a%20Mat%20and%20Other%20Tales&utm_source=google&utm_medium=basefeed&gclid=CjgKEAjw8MqcBRCsv5Kf8NCUwlgSJADL4ihhMwLdk2CN-uNnWaGPbdAYMUrhezdFpUtEdpnMjZnxX_D_BwE

I'm a reception teacher. In my school, and at home with Daisy, I use the Songbirds reading scheme, written by Julia Donaldson. You can buy a compilation of all the books in one band from WH Smiths fror about a tenner.

Thanks everyone, I've bought the songbirds books and as soon as my daughter is in bed I'll get her iPad and look at the kipper ebooks :)

Thanks x

Dunno about story books, but the best book I've found for teaching a child to read is this one :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Teach-Your-Child-Read-Engelman/dp/0671631985

I taught my daughter learned to read with it when she was 4 and a half perfectly. She was reading like a champ by the time she started school.

DS1 didn't do so well with it to be fair, but then again he struggles a LOT in school and is in special classes for a few things, so conventional learning isn't quite his thing. Plus he is an August baby, so he was only just turned 4 when he started school, so it threw him off a bit.

DS2 is currently using this book to learn to read (he's 4) and is making great progress. He starts primary school in September and I'm hoping he'll be like DD was, and will have mastered basic reading before starting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->