Best time to do a dating scan?

OliveLove

Reaction score
Hi, I recently found out that I am pregnant, but I am unsure of the due date. I am basing it on my LMP, but I usually ovulate early in the cycle. When would be the best time to go in for a scan to see and hear the heartbeat?

Thanks!

I believe I O'd early on the cycle I got pregnant. However its only a matter of a few days different to my LMP dates.

You could have a scan at roughly 10 weeks and get a better idea about your dates but I think you might as well wait till 12 weeks once the baby has properly stretched out and can be measured fully

Dating scans are done before 10 weeks after your lmp. Bloods need to be done for genetic issues so you'll need to know before 12 weeks

I have my dating scan scheduled for 7 weeks. Im told that's the earliest my clinic will do them. With my last two pregnancies, I was 8 weeks along.

I will be approx 7+5 at my dating scan which I booked privately. The only other option was to wait till 12 weeks through the nhs

Dating scans aren't anywhere near as accurate after 8 weeks. All babies grow at the same rate until 8 weeks and then after that the scan can be off by a week either side.

Mine was at 6w5d. I measured behind two days but am certain of my dates. They are accirate within 4-5 days

I had mine at 6 weeks and 4 days. I was only a day off from our calculations and there was a strong hb. I think anywhere between 7 and 9 weeks is what the norm is for my office. My doctor agreed to see me just a few days early because of my anxiety.

I had a scan at 7+2 and measured exactly on my dates so for me it was very accurate. Mine was more of a reassurance scan though as I was sure of my dates but wanted to see everything was as it should be

I got told that 8-11 weeks is the best time. Before that it can be very difficult to get an accurate measurement as baby is so small. It sort of looks like a fuzzy blob on the screen so it's difficult for them to see exactly where to measure to and from. On my early scan the tech showed me what she meant by measuring 3 times and getting three different measurements. After 8 weeks it's more baby shaped with a smoother outline and so easy to measure from the top of the head and be more accurate. After 11 weeks all babies grow at different rates so it's harder to date then.

As I was sure of my dates all my early scan did was worry me as I was measuring behind, even though the tech and midwife tried to convince me all was fine! The scan at 8/9 weeks was much better, dates bang on and baby was more baby shaped and wiggling. Much more reassuring.

If I was unsure of my ovulation date I think I would book a scan for around 8.5-9 weeks from lmp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->