BF 10mth swap to formula - which one

delongi

Reaction score
I'm going to post this in BF/Formula and Baby forums so apologies if you see it multiple times.

LO is 10mths and has been exclusively BF. I express during the day at work (Full Time) and he has a bedtime BF.
he has 3 meals at nursery.
my daytime supply is dropping and HV said to swap him to formula for the 2months till he can drink cows milk.
She also suggested vitamin drops.
Looking at the formula I'm confused.
HV suggested either follow on milk (more concentrated?) or first stage (closest to BM).

Which one do i get? LO drinks from sippy cup but isn't a huge fan so do i go for the follow on so its smaller volume with all the nutrients or do i go for stage 1 cause its closets to BM?
Although I'm sure BM makeup changes as baby grows so the my BM for a 10mth wont be the same as stage 1?

Sorry am sooo confused

I was in your position too when i went back to work...i bought a couple of each packet (the readymade packs) and let isabel have a different one so the nursery staff could report on any she seemed to get on with or not get on with then i ended up just selecting one myself to stick with as she didn't seem to mind. In all honesty they pretty much all achieve the same so brand doesn't matter and with regards stages, I figured I'd prefer her to have the stage 1 til she was 12 months and went to cows milk but really i don't think it matters so long as LO is having a varied solid diet to compliment milk intake (if not having a varied diet at present then follow on milk is likely to be better option as has added nutrients like iron)

my milk went off once expressed (which is a problem for some women) so i carried on expressing twice a day whilst she was under a year and binned the milk then dropped to just at lunchtimes when she was a year so my supply was maintained to feed her in evenings, morning and weekends :thumbup:

What makes you think daytime supply is dropping? If its a result of getting less from pumping then ignore that as pumping never achieves what a baby drinking directly can. It's important to still pump to maintain supply though as it gives signals to your brain to continue producing milk throughout day

supply is dropping (or i think it is) because i've been pumping since coming back to work 4months ago and i used to get 10oz plus easily and now i'm down to 5oz
i'm just planning for the worst - at the mo LO going to nursery with the previous days expressed milk plus some defrosted EBM to get him through the day

supply is dropping (or i think it is) because i've been pumping since coming back to work 4months ago and i used to get 10oz plus easily and now i'm down to 5oz
i'm just planning for the worst - at the mo LO going to nursery with the previous days expressed milk plus some defrosted EBM to get him through the day

I thought that - I went back at 4 months and could get less and less - but she needed less and less and still got plenty in the evening and we're still going strong now. Don't give up if you don't want to, it's fine even if she only has 5oz during the day and has it morning and evening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->