BF mommies question

lanaross

Mom to Bella and Greyson
Reaction score
Has your baby ever slept through the night if you exclusively breastfeed or used to? I have 2-3 wakings a night which isn't too too bad, but I am very curious will it ever stop before we introduce solids/formula. With my daughter I BFed until 7 months but I started adding formula at around 3 months mark and she started sleeping through consistently. With the baby I am not planning to add formula for a while but this formula thing is at the back of my mind all the time, especially at around 3-5 am :)

EDIT: Ladies, this is not a decision whether or not to switch to formula -- I am not switching and not really considering it (although I absolutely reserve the right to whine about it :). This is just a genuine interest whether or not exclusively breastfed babies sleep at night :)

Willow was EBF and slept through at 14 months, Fox can do 6 hour blocks at night and he is EBF.

River was formula fed and she didnt sleep through until 7 months. Formula isnt a magic sleep cure.

yes I totally know that, just can't convince myself of it at 4 am :)

He is not having formula until at least six months, unless my supply will be affected again. But still I am just dying to know if BF babies ever really sleep through without any additional food.

I know BF babies that slept through at 8 weeks. Its luck of the draw.

My LO STTN between about 2.5 to 4 months but she's never slept through since. Formula doesn't guarantee that a baby will styn. My LO sleeps badly and she even eats lots of solids. Sometimes it just takes time.

A friends little girl has been formula fed since birth, weaned from 17 weeks and still wakes up alot over night at nearly 2

By 3 months Sophie was sleeping from 8pm to 8am with one wake up at 4am which I thought was amazing! However that didn't last long. She wakes more than that now...7pm to 5:30am with 2-wakings, she's on lots of solids and formula now.

My 14 month old still does not sleep thru the night and he is still breastfed. I am waiting for the day it happens because it is tough getting up multiple times every night.

DD #1 I exclusively pumped for and she STTN from 6 weeks, DD#2 is ebf and she has been sleeping 7 hours straight at night for since 4 weeks and last night did an 8 hour stretch.

From birth phoebe did 6 hour stretches. She did 7 hours at a couple of weeks. And has done 9/10 hours a handful of times since

now tho.....its the 4 month sleep regression!! Lol

My son was bf until 15 months old, he woke every 2hrs as a newborn and sttn at 2yrs ish.

My dd is also bf and has done 6hr stretches at night since birth, so completely different to my son but on the same stuff :)

I ended up switching son to formula at about 4 months old (due to having to work :cry: ) and he didn't sleep through the night until he was about 8 months old.

My daughter has been EBF and only started solids after turning 6months old. She's been sleeping 5-7hour blocks since before she was 8 weeks old. Not long after her 8 week checkup, she started sleeping 10-12hrs at night without a boob feeding. Of course she made up for it during the day roughly eating every 2-3 hours but we were sleeping at night so I was fine with it :thumbup:

I don't think it has anything to do with what they're fed. At my daughter's 8 week checkup, apparently before she read the nurse's notes on how she was sleeping, what she weighed/height measurements, the dr came in the room telling me I needed to start her on formula to make her sleep better. :saywhat: Me and hubby looked at each other like "huh????" Then she read how well she was sleeping and told me nevermind. I later found out from a breastfeeding counselor this same dr was telling EVERY breastfeeding mother the same thing apparently whether it was needed or not. Needless to say I switched drs. A lot of new mothers were upset to find they'd been duped into switching to formula even though their baby was flourishing and everything was normal (counselor told me this).

To me, breastfeeding is much easier than messing with all that bottle crap. Sure growth spurts suck but instead of listening to a crying baby while you get their bottle ready, just whip a boob out. :winkwink: I hate washing bottles btw :haha:

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :flower:

My girl is EBF and has STTN twice (from about 11pm to 7am) her normal routine is 2 feeds through the night.

I have had a few suggestions from well meaning folks that I give formula before bed to which my answer is "no way!" I am sure this would make zero difference anyway and I agree with PP it's soooo much easier feeding from the breast especially during the night.

I exclusively bf'd Sofia until she was 10 months old at which point I started weaning slowly and replacing with formula as I had to go back to work.

At around 6.5 months she started to sttn around 11-12 hours every night. She had only one night feed for a monthe before that at around 2:30-3:00 am and she just dropped that night feed by herself.

No! The most Rose has slept is 4 hours that was last night actually and was heaven, I can get by on that! Usually it can be every 2 hours. She can go a lot longer during the day though..

My BF daughter didn't sleep through the night until 12 months, but that's because she had feed to sleep association rather than actual hunger. Once we got past that there were no night wakings.

My friends little boy (EBF) was sleeping through the night from about 8 weeks!

It's all luck of the draw.

all four of mine slept through whilst ebf best was at 11 weeks, worst at 16 weeks

they only had formula after that so it is possible

I do feel blessed

my sleeping at night definition is 7-7 no wake ups

keep going it will come

It's just luck of the draw I they sleep or not

Switching to formula is not a guarantee and honestly if rather pull baby into bed to nurse then get up make a bottle feed baby ect

All of mine have been/are exclusively breastfed. Daisy didn't ever sleep through and woke to feed every two hours until she was 13 months (and at almost 4 she still doesn't sleep through!) but Tommy slept through the whole night from 6 weeks old. He has only been up in the night on two occasions when he's been poorly since he was 6 weeks! Eddie is only 6 weeks now but is up so often that I can't imagine him sleeping through any time soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->