BF mommies question

Lo has been sttn since he was 6 weeks. I give him a dream feed at about 10ish then he sleeps through until 6 or 7am. He got himself into a good routine and has been fab since. (I am touching wood now it would be typical that tonight it all goes wrong lol!;-) x

I know BF babies that slept through at 8 weeks. Its luck of the draw.

The thing is he is just genuinely hungry. He's not waking up to play or just to scream, he goes right back down within 20-30 minutes of eating and by eating I mean completely emptying my breast, so obviously not just to comfort suck. It just feels it will never ever happen to me, I will never sleep again.

You will sleep again. Every baby is different. My first slept 12 straight hrs at night starting at 12 wks. This second baby who is now 4 1/2 months, sometimes she goes through and just wakes in the morning, sometimes she's up once, and I go in and feed her. Not sure if she's hungry or it just helps settle her back to sleep, but I do tend to her.
Eventually it will happen :)

Aisling had your typical newborn sleep pattern but by 2 months started sleeping 5-6 hour stretches. At 3 months she began sucking her thumb which in turn led to sleeping 8+ hours straight :)

She does tend to fill up before bed and after waking. During the day she doesn't eat as often, maybe every 3-4 hours.

I BF Aidan and he sleeps from about 11pm - 6am. My SIL's girls are both formula fed and they wake roughly 3-4 times throughout the night. Every bub is different, I don't think how long they sleep has much to do with what they eat. Some babies can just go longer stretches :)

I breastfed till 10 months and he only slept through the night when we started co sleeping, but he still woke up and got milk 3+ times...I just got to sleep through it.

A good night she's up every 4 hours, a bad night every 20 minutes. On a good night she is hungry and will have a proper feed each time she wakes. We started weaning at 5 months on the advise it would help her sleep (from our health visitor). It doesn't!

Personally I think it's all down to luck of the draw. I think that possibly you were lucky with your first one. My little guy is 4 months and has never slept through the night. And he is combi fed. He is breast fed throughout the day and then has a 7oz bottle at 7pm and then another at 11pm. He then usually wakes at around 3am for another feed and then again in the morning between 6-7am. I think every baby is different and it's very hard to tell how they are going to be.

Well done for you being able to ebf so far, you are doing great so keep up the good work and I'm sure with time your lo will go longer and eventually sleep through x

I know BF babies that slept through at 8 weeks. Its luck of the draw.

The thing is he is just genuinely hungry. He's not waking up to play or just to scream, he goes right back down within 20-30 minutes of eating and by eating I mean completely emptying my breast, so obviously not just to comfort suck. It just feels it will never ever happen to me, I will never sleep again.

He's still only 3 months though, and young babies grow sooo much sooo quickly. It's not until they get a little older that they slow down in growing so fast. So its still completely normal for him to be getting genuinely hungry throughout the night.I know it feels like its going to last forever, but most babies do slow down in the night feeds once they get a little bit older and aren't growth spurting so much all the time. There may still be night feeds, but it hopefully will get to where its just 1-2 a night, if that.

I really think the biggest reason why Aisling sleeps through (besides us just getting lucky!) is that she stays up late even though we go to bed early. Most nights we go upstairs between 7-8pm. I'll nurse her in bed while my husband and I either watch Netflix or read. She will nurse for an hour or more, then we can transfer her to her snugabunny or her crib. Last night was a major exception, she fell asleep way earlier but she still nursed for over an hour beforehand. On average, most nights she is down for the night between 10-11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->