bf twins

I know just what you mean. My MIL tried to tell me that formula was much more nutritious because it had vitamins added to it!

I used the pill form and got it at a health food store. It wasn't expensive at all and was well worth it.

I learned so much from this thread as well. I didnt ask for help with DD and milk dried up in 3 weeks:( I was so upset and just gave up. I think the stress of a newborn and hormones I just went with what I thought was easier and I wish I had help out a little longer.I dont want to this time around!

Thanks for the tips ladies!

We will be here, Daisy.... :)

Kristin, breast feeding the babies have kept me from introducing them with others and visiting, too. The beginning stages I was always half naked, hooked to pump or with a baby nursing. It was non stop, so I wasn't about to have people over to visit. That added to my stress, made me feel guilty, but it was more than reasonable for me to keep people away. It is still very hard for me to visit, all these months later. I nurse in front of others, they don't see anything, but while I am nursing one there is always another to entertain... Doesn't make for good chit-chat time. It's sort of like I have ONE MORE person to "take care of" in a way.... Because I like to give people I visit with my full/special attention and I can't do that for a while. I also can't feel free to do what I need to for the babies with others around, like lay down topless to nurse if necessary....

I also understand how crazy it can make you feel when others mention going on formula when they know that is not your plan! I REALLY understand. I could tell you stories..........

Good luck to all! Peace and Milk be with you! xoxo

I only just saw your PM hun and I've replied to you. Hope you find the tips useful. If you have anymore question or just want a chat, do not hesitate to PM me again. Let me know how you get on. xx

Kristin - I lost my appetite after my section with my first. Was about 4 weeks I think..maybe even 5. I only got a thirst when baby was nursing.

My little boy lost more than 10% of his birth weight but feeds every 2 hours he slowly gained weight again.

I don't have small boobies but I struggled pumping too so don't let this give you an indication how much is in there. Also you will have a good boob & a bad boob so make sure you rotate the babies at each feed.

Keep at it, BF first then pass them to hubby for their top up with formula & you can pump to keep going if you need to.

I'm not going to say these early days are easy.. it was hard with one. God knows what its like with 2.

Your doing a fabulous job. Keep it up :)

Mel xx

It's really normal to have them feed a lot in the first 8 weeks. They are building your supply.

Keep your calorie and fluid intake up. Oatmeal and brewers yeast tablets helped me a lot. Sleep is important, too. Your body produces prolactin while you sleep. See a lactation consultant to make sure you have a good latch, too.

I never used the herbs, but a lot of people think fenugreek helps. There is another med that has a side effect of building milk supply called Domperidone. I've known a number of women that have had it prescribed.

Thanks everyone! I'm going to try the fenugreek, picking it up at the store tonight, and see how that goes for me.

Miss MellyG: My one twin started at 6lb10oz and by the last day in the hospital he had lost more than 10%. The last appointment he was back up to 6lb1oz but at that point they wanted him back to birth weight. I go tonight to the dr and hopefully he has gained enough, he sure looks like he has :)

knitbit: I started eating oatmeal for breakfast as of today so hopefully that will help too. I'll keep that medication in mind in case all this doesnt work so I can ask my dr about it.

Thanks!

I read that the fenugreek capsules are more potent than the tea...but if you're having trouble drinking water that might help you get more fluids. Are there any fluids that do sound good to you? Milk? Juice? Chicken broth? Tea?

Also I used to do deep breathing while they were nursing (or pumping) , imagining that on the breath out my milk was flowing out. I think it helped with my let down.

Very true apple! Relaxing and thinking baby thoughts helps a lot with letdown. If you are pumping, looking at pictures and smelling something "baby" is a great way to allow your body to do it's thing. After a while it gets easier.

Oh and for the oatmeal, I used the regular rolled oats, not the quick oats. One part oats to two parts water in a bowl with a lot of room (the oats swell). Add raisins if you want and then zap in the microwave for 1.5 minutes. Much better than the instant stuff and just as easy!

I read that the fenugreek capsules are more potent than the tea...but if you're having trouble drinking water that might help you get more fluids. Are there any fluids that do sound good to you? Milk? Juice? Chicken broth? Tea?

Also I used to do deep breathing while they were nursing (or pumping) , imagining that on the breath out my milk was flowing out. I think it helped with my let down.

I went to a health food store and got the capsules today and the guy at the store said that a lot of people use both the capsules and the tea bc there is other supplements in the tea that are supposed to help enrich the milk. of course they had just sold the last of it about an hour before I got there but they are getting more Friday so i'm going to go get some this weekend. I drink at least a glass of milk a day and I try to drink at least a cup of tea....i think my issue is I like soda too much and it makes it hard to drink other stuff...i'm trying to cut it out though bc I'm sure the caffeine doesnt help.

Good...connor gained 5oz over the last 5 days! He still isnt at his birth weight but the dr was happy. So we dont have to take him back again until their 1 month check up

Glad to hear good news!

You should start noticing an increase in your supply by tomorrow and by Friday you should really be able to tell. Yeah!

Glad your little man has gained weight! Great news! :)

Little tip for when you pump - sit near your babies & watch them - ie don't be distracted by the tv etc.

You'd be surprised actually how much more comes out! If they aren't near you at the time look at photos of them breastfeeding. Its bizarre but this actually stimulates the milk supply!

Mel xx

I do notice an increase today :happydance: and im getting it from both sides too, not just the right side! Its still a small amount from the left but much more than before. In 2 times pumping i've gotten more than I did over 2 days of pumping before :D

Yeah! :happydance:

Tomorrow will be even better. I'm glad you stuck with it and gave the herb a try.

it'll be even better once I get the tea this weekend! :D

Woohoo I'm so glad it's working out for you. I've already got fenugreek capsules in the house ready for if I need them. Maybe I'll get some of that tea too. I tried Weleda nursing tea last time ... what kind are you getting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->