BF'ing while LO is in a sling/carrier?

mara16jade

Mommy of 2 little boys
Reaction score
I've heard that this is possible. Has anyone tried it? It just seems like lo's head is too high, and the boob would be out of reach.

I have the Boba 4G carrier.

If you've done this, can you describe how you position your baby so he/she can reach?

I think this would be illegal.

I bring a pump with me while I'm in the car. :)

Oops, I think I used the wrong word. I didn't mean the car seat, I meant the sling/carrier thing. :dohh:

I'm not sure it would be possible with a Boba. With a woven wrap or a ring sling it looks kind of easy though. Never tried myself as I never needed to (yet). There are a lot of videos on youtube showing how to do it :)

Never used a boba but I have used many others, woven wrap, ring sling, mei tai and I'm always feeding on the go!

With the slings I use, I seat LO a little lower - by tying the waistband of the sling lower on me - so they are more at boob height and then re tie them when they are done.

I find feeding in the sling a complete lifesaver so if you're struggling with the sling you have, perhaps look into trying a different one? Do you have any sling libraries near you?

It definitely takes a bit of practice whatever! I'd recommend trying it out at home lots to begin with :thumbup:

I've only done this with an older baby (didn't have the opportunity with a younger one, we didn't get a ssc until the moby was outgrown and didn't figure out nursing in it until much later). If you have it in a normal carry position, the breast will be too low for a lot of women (though some women with reeeeeaaally long torsos or whose breasts are easy to prop up can pull it off). When I was first trying, I really couldn't manage it because I was so focused on adjusting the waist strap to be lower on my hips. The trick for me (that I learned on here and finally saw in person not too long later) is to focus on the shoulder straps instead. Put baby in the carrier, support his bottom with one hand, and with the other hand slowly loosen the shoulder straps and adjust baby until lo is sitting in a loose low position farther down on your hips. When I do it right, baby's crotch is pressed against the hip strap of the carrier instead of my belly because he would be sitting on the outside of the hip strap. I wish I'd taken some pictures to post because it really doesn't make sense unless you see it. Slightly less safe position, so lots of caution until you see how the fit is going to be that way with a young one.
ETA: Though the best piece of advice I ever got for carrier nursing was some no-nonsense mom at a park that just said "Forget this noise and get a damn ring sling. You're welcome."

Thank you, what is the ring sling? Or....which one is it?

I love my Maya ring sling, but I've used a few homemade ones from other people and they all work quite well.

https://www.mayawrap.com/u_maya_wrap_101.php

Here's the Maya instructional videos (though they'll work the same for any ring sling if there is a cheaper one you find)-- there's one for bfing. I found once DS1 was old enough, I could just put him in a very low hip carry and nurse easily. But he also fit in the side-lying nursing position for quite a long time and he's always been 97-99th for height/weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->