Birth of Oliver Samuel and our short stay in NICU

fluffyblue

Loving being mommy
Reaction score
Well after going through WTT, TTC, Miscarriage Section and Pregnancy Forums I can now finally post in here and my BNB journey is nearly over !

Oliver Samuel arrived by elective C Section on 17th January 2011 at 10.06am weighing 8lb 6oz.

We arrived at the hospital early to be booked in and were surprised to see we were top of the list which was nice as an early birth was guaranteed. We went to a shared ward where I got gowned up and off we went, the surgery went well, I had a spinal which worked first time.

At 10.06am Oliver was brought into the world - quiet at first but then the lungs opened. Such a wonderful sound...

He weighed a healthy 8lb 6oz and was long and a gorgeous colour. We went back to the ward, of course I couldnt move so hubby was the man of the moment. A few hours later hubby left and the nursing staff took over, Ollie was crying and I was deadly tired so they took him to feed him, to cut a long story short he only took 15ml in 6 hours and was repeatedly sick. They took him down to NICU to see the doctors and that was it he was in there for the next 5 days.

Over the next few days the little mite had xray after xray to rule out a blockage of the bowel, he had a barium swallow which all came back clear, there was an irregular shape which showed up on one but again this was inconclusive.

Then they slowly reintroduced his feeding via a nasal tube, low at first but building up over the week to 70ml feeds every 4 hours, such a lazy bones he was just lying there in his little incubater being fed via a tube !!

On Friday after a stressful week up and down the stairs at the hospital, I was allowed to stay at the hospital due to it being quiet which was a godsend as I couldnt have left him there alone. I finally demanded that the tube be took out and he be allowed up on the ward with me to start breastfeeding and hey presto 24 hours and lots of feeds later with no vomiting we were allowed home. I will never forget his time in NICU but boy was I glad to leave.

So here we are at home with my darling son. After 5 miscarriages, unexplained secondary infertility and an ectopic pregnancy Oliver is thriving and doing really well.

Thanks for reading and hope you are still awake xx

Attachments

• olly 1.jpg
    olly 1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Olly 6.jpg
    Olly 6.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Olly 2.jpg
    Olly 2.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 8
SO pleased you have him home with you now :happydance:

Congratulations :flower:

Congratulations! :D So glad to hear you're home now and that he's doing well :hugs:

huge congrats hun, so pleased u finally got to bring a beautiful baby home xxx

Huge Congratulations on the birth of Oliver. He is a gorgeous little boy!!
Your story gives me hope. x

Aww he is gorgeous glad all is well and you are both home now xx

Oh wow congratulations! What a long and winding road for you, so pleased that you've finally ended up with a gorgeous baby boy! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->