Birth plan

claire1978

Mum of 4
Reaction score
Has any of u wrote urs or will u be?

I never did with my other 3 children but i have more insight now and different views and as im vbac this time i have a few things that i think may be worth while to document just incase i dont get a chance to say or i forget

so is it useful to write it all down? and what sort of things did u or are u thinking of writing?

I never wrote one with my first or this one, labour cant be planned :( I have wrote in my notes that I want home as soon as possible though as I dont eat or sleep while in hospital and would find I would cope better at home with food and sleep :haha:

Ive never wrote with my girls but this time I feel the need to write it since I don't have justone dr and I go to an office of like 5 :( I hate it I miss my old dr anyways I'm juat going 5i write a few things likr I don't want to be cut and to let the cord pulse out nothing big

There is no point, I wanted a natural birth, but now have to have a planned c-section as baby in breech. I have had friends who made grandiose plans, only to have a 2 hour labour & give birth standing up in the waiting room. You can't plan labour.

I didn't with DD1 but I knew what I did and didn't want. Didn't get what I wanted in the end - but I did stick to some of what I didn't.

This time I have written it in the birth plan section of my notes. It's not a plan as in 'this will happen, then this' etc.

I've just said def no pethidine, home asap and if I have to stay I'd like a private room, if I need a c-section then I want an epidural and to have DH there in the theatre. It also gives you the options to say if you want vitamin k, if you are happy for students to be in the room etc.

I do remember them asking me lots of these questions when I was in labour last time, as I hadn't filled it in myself.

Ive got some preferences, if they happen great, if they dont then no worries.

The main part of my preferences is that i accept anything necessary to keep my baby safe.

I have written bullet points, if they don't happen no probs but you never know some births DO go to plan so in that instance I want my birth plan put into place.
Stuff like I want delayed cord clamping, I want skin on skin ASAP for as long as I want, and if I have a c section and this isn't possible I want baby putting on partners chest. I want as natural as possible labour, I don't wan to labour on my back, and I want as minimum ppl in room as possible. Etc etc...

im pretty easy, im not going to 'plan' as such, I just want to make it known that I don't want an epidural at all so I don't even want to be given the option (in case im in too much pain and agree to it lol) x

This is my first and I've been researching birth plans like crazy. I like that they have templates you can fill out and print out online now. I'm not too picky but there are certain things that I want or would like done such as daddy cutting cord, skin to skin right after birth, circumcision, and breast feeding!

This is my first and I've been researching birth plans like crazy. I like that they have templates you can fill out and print out online now. I'm not too picky but there are certain things that I want or would like done such as daddy cutting cord, skin to skin right after birth, circumcision, and breast feeding!

Oh yeah, skin to skin straight away and dh cutting the cord is on mine too.

Maybe I should put on there not to offer him the chance to look at the business end too :haha: There are some things I don't need to share with people who don't need to know!

I'm not bothering... Gonna go with the flow and hope for the best!

If you have preferences there is always a point in writing one, even if its just brief bullet points. If you are then not in the best shape during labour then the midwives don't have to bother you by asking what your preferences for x, y and z are as they have it there in front of them :) xx

Oh yeah, skin to skin straight away and dh cutting the cord is on mine too.

Maybe I should put on there not to offer him the chance to look at the business end too :haha: There are some things I don't need to share with people who don't need to know!

Oooh good call! I don't want to even see down there while baby is coming out let alone my husband!

A few bullet points:
I do not wish to breast feed so please do not put baby on my breast (this happened to a friend of mine)
I would like OH to announce the sex of the baby
I would like to avoid the epidural unless medically needed

Oh and no students are doing my stitches (should I need any)

I've written mine out... To be fair I only did it as I was bored during the weekend:haha:

Having spoken to most, I am resigned to it not going to how I wrote it, but hope that some is taken to account such as immediate skin to skin contact etc

I think a birth plan/preferences is important if there are certain things you do or do not want. I had one with my first and for the most part my birth went perfectly. I stayed at home as long as possible, so by the time I got to the hospital, I was in no shape to be telling the nurses what I do and do not want. Things that will be in this birth plan: no IV, intermitant fetal heart monitoring, no epidural, immediate skin to skin and breast feeding, delayed cord clamping, delayed eye drops to the baby and if baby has to leave delivery room my husband is to go with him. My main objective is to have a safe delivery, with the least amount of medical intervention. But, if intervention is needed for the safety of baby or myself, do what is needed to be done. Thats all i can think of off the top of my head.

Thankfully my doctor whole heatedly agrees/believes this "plan" should be standard. I am extremely excited for he birth of this baby and really looking forward to delivery:)

Im not doing a birthing plan as such as I'm a scheduled c section but there are things I am insisting on such as skin to skin with daddy while I get stitched up and keeping the baby with us unless medically necessary or if we say so. And breastfeeding only so no bottles etc. No harm in putting down bullet points of things, then at least its written down in black and white for all Dr's and nurses to see :)

My doctor did mine when in with him... I have a great consultant and my only wish is to have as little drugs as possible and to have skin to skin as immediate as possible (I am having a section)

He wrote those and my mw confirmed it all yesterday at my pre surg appt...

I think it's important to just for a few things if they're important to u incase u have a different mw or doctor on duty etc

Was going to with my first but realized that it really wasn't necessary. I just made sure my OH knew a few key things that I wanted or didn't wanted. No pitoccin, c section or assisted delivery unless it was an emergency. That was really it for me. Luckily everything went smoothly and I was able to communicate this myself.

ETA: Forgot to add that I wanted skin to skin (if the baby was ok for this) and wanted to BF immediately!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->