Birthday party before your birthday?

marina294

Mum to 2 DD's
Reaction score
Hiya both my DD are born in August youngest 5th eldest 24th. This year the elest falls on August bank holiday so i started planning a joint party as youngest wont fully understand her birthday has been. My family hardly make our gatherings so it would have been mainly the inlaws so i usually just do a tea party with a few games. DD1 has been going on about a party for months . However SIL booked her and MIL a surprise trip away (was mil birthday in june) that weekend as it meant she wouldnt have to use up leave. She forgot it was DD1 birthday. Considering they wouldnt be coming and BIL also booked a holiday we decided too book a week away ourselves in our caravan and take all the decs and do her a little tea party. Now MIL and SIL think im doing a party week before we go so they can give the girls there gifts as she will also be missing DD1 birthday tomorrow through no fault of her own.
However i feel DD1 understands more this year and will be a little confused by having presents and a party and cake then us giving her presents on her actuall birthday and i dont know but even doing a cake and singing happy birthday before just doesnt feel right:wacko:
am i just over thinking things?

I wouldn't worry about it, just explain to lo that party is on a different day for family to come. We did the same this year with the boys' birthday party not being on their actual birthday. I had it in between their birthdays, as a shared birthday party. We still did cake and a family day out on their actual birthdays, and I just explained to older son that the birthday party was on a different day from his birthday so that everyone would be able to come and see him on that day. He was fine with that explanation.

^ i agree just explain to LO :flow: most birthday parties in my experience aren't on the actual day due to various reasons ranging from day of the week it falls on to other commitments. Enjoy :)

i honestly wouldnt worry.

LO knows when her birthday is as thats when the birthday fairy brings her presents.
she gets presents from family & friends a week either side of her birthday, the same as Christmas really x

I wouldn't worry about that either tbh! I think if you explain it to her she should be fine. This year Charlie will be 5 on 16th August but his party is on the 10th as they all start school on the 13th and I wanted to have it before they start. He'll be having a family one on the 16th at home as well. :flow:

I wouldn't overthink it hun, your DD will just be excited for presents and cakes she's not going to moan of she gets it twice!!

Bens birthday is 23rd Dec so usually his party is a week or 2 before do not to stress people out with it so close to Xmas! Then we have a small family tea party on his actual birthday with me, and close family (there's only about 4 of them!!)

Definitely overthinking. My DS's birthday is January, so we have to work around weekends for his party with family/friends. This year, when he turned 3, he had a small celebration with me and Hubby on his birthday, a lunch and presents with my In-laws a couple of days later, and a party with his family and friends a couple of days after that. No confusion there, just lots of fun celebrations for his birthday.

thanks all for putting my mind at rest will be doing it next weekend before everyone goes-:flower:

Having two parties is something we've always done. It's never been an issue but you will need to explain which day their actual birthday is. DS is 7 this year and had his school party 1 month early-this is the first year we've had to explain that although he's had his party he's not actual 7 yet.
I quite like doing more than 1 gathering ( we do the same over Christmas too) as it spreads out the presents. The only thing I don't like is making 2 cakes!

We always do a bigger party with family and friends the weekend before and on their actual birthday we give them their gifts from us (well most of them we give them the bigger gift at their party) and let them choose what they want for dinner/take them somewhere special etc. just the four of us :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->