Birthday present problem

missbabypo

Mummy to Riley and Bump!
Reaction score
DS1 is 6 next month and is having a joint party with one of his friends. The plan is to invite their whole class and any out of school friends they have.

I know this may sound presumptuous but in theory that means he could possibly get 30 extra presents that he wouldn't usually get. Because of this we are thinking of just getting him a few bits that he really wants and having a night out at the circus instead of buying the usual 'filler' presents that we use to bulk up the pile.

Is that mean? Obviously we have the price of the party to pay for, as well as another smaller party at my nans house just for family. I just don't want to be over run with 'stuff'

That's exactly what I would do. When my boys have had birthday parties, they get loads of gifts from the friends and family that come to the party, so I just usually get a few things I know they'd really like. I'm sure most of the gifts will be inexpensive, as most guests try to stick to $10-25 range from my experience, but they are still young and don't care about costs of gifts, luckily. I'm sure your son won't care how many gifts you personally get him, as he'll be having a blast at the party with his friends and I'm sure there will be plenty of gifts from his guests.

Oh I know they will be inexpensive gifts but it's still an extra 30 gifts to find space for lol. He really wants a WWE belt, some batman lego and a transformer so we are thinking we will get him those things, take him to the circus and let him buy a light stick etc there.x

I think that's fine! I typically get my boys 3-5 gifts, depending on what they are wanting or if its things i see that I know they will love. And yes, the 30-some odd gifts are a headache to work into the toy rotation, lol!

I'm dreading even getting them home to be honest lol x

I'd definitely limit what I bought if he's likely to get a good number of presents. I always find it a nightmare finding space for DS's presents from friends and he's never had more than 8 at a party so I can only imagine what it would be like getting 30!

I'd get him one or 2 things but tell him the party is costing lots of money so he can't have parties and big presents.
As I was growing up if I wanted a party I would get a token birthday present my parents couldn't afford big parties and big presents it was very much one or other.

It's not mean at all! I don't like buying many filler presents, and definitely not for birthdays, and my LO couldn't care less!

For Joshua last year, he had a party where 14 other children came. For his present off us, we bought him one main present and a couple of bits & pieces (books, cars). From grandparents/aunties, we asked for money to put in his bank account. His party + cake did cost £200 mind you!

His birthday is the 14th December so we have that closely followed by Xmas....January = sort through everything else!

SO I went to Smyths today to get some of his presents (20% off woohoo). He has 2 transformers and a wwe light and music belt. I want to get him a puzzle and some little wrestling figures and then I am done.

I would limit filler presents too but bear in mind a lot of them might not buy a gift but put money in a card for your son, as lots of people would rather do that than risk getting duplicate gifts/things the birthday child doesn't like/has already, seeing as a lot of them won't know him well enough to choose something really special. So the way I would play it is get him the main things he really wants then see what the party brings :p:

That's what we have done really. He wants the belt and a transformer so we have got him that and will get a few other bits and thats it. I'm really trying to cut back on what we buy the boys for birthdays and xmas anyway as we have so much 'stuff' that they really don't need any more lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->