Biting

MissMamma

Mummy
Reaction score
Any tips to stop biting? Please!

to follow on from my earlier thread [i know, post overload from me today!] Raphaelle is bottle fed half the time, i am thinking this could maybe have something to do with it?

Not sure if it is related to the FF and maybe some sort of nipple confusion? I'm sure the bottle teat does not yelp in pain if he bites it :haha:

I have found just putting boob away and putting LO down is the best way. IF he is still hungry, I will try him again. Sometimes he is happy to continue playing, and I just think he does it when he has had enough.

They quickly learn that biting = no more milk.

I would flick my daughters cheek, say no and take her off. After a couple weeks she got the picture and never bit me again. She was 7 months at the time

When does she bite? If it's towards the end, she could be bored and having a chew, or frustrated with the slower flow. It helps if you know roughly when it happens because you can watch her like a hawk at that time, and you'll see a subtle change in position. It's not possible to be properly latched and bite because the tongue covers the teeth when actively feeding. If you see that shift, quickly unlatch and offer a teething toy. If she gets upset, and you were close to the end of the feed with one side, maybe offer the other instead. The faster flow might help.

If you do get bitten, I'd try to stay calm, but make it clear you are finishing the feed. I would put Alice down, and say 'Biting hurts mummy.' If she's happy to finish, she was probably just bored, if she cries, try relatching, and you'll probably find the feed carries on normally.

Also, if you ever find she bites and won't let go, don't pull her away. Pull in to your breast to cover her nose. It sounds terrible, but she will naturally open her mouth very quickly to breathe, then you can move her away.

Generally, it's a short lived phase, so try not to stress too much. Hope that helps!

i'm not 100% sure when she bites, i've never really noticed. she only has milk before bed and sometimes in the mornings now but if she bites i dont want to put her down because its her last feed before bed and she just cries :/ but if i try relatch her she just bites again! and thank you for the tip about not pulling her away! God my nipples were hurting from being wrenched from between clamped teeth! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->