Bleeding after c-section - how long

Abz1982

Mum to 2 nutters!
Reaction score
I was just wondering how long after a c-section the bleeding is meant to continue. I had a 12 hour labour followed by a c-section, and lost a LOT of blood.

I am still having a fair amount of red blood loss at the moment - like a period amount, but it is a deep red colour. No one has told me how long this is meant to carry on for.

I feel fine, apart from being a tad under the weather, but thats cos of all the dust from the decorators.

I bleed for 4 weeks after my C Section although the last week was very light but it can vary from person to person.

Mine only stopped last weekend, so it lasted nearly 6wks. Although it was VERY light by that point. Mine was always very dark red/brown. Heavy bleeding only lasted the first night.

HTH x

mine only went on for 12 days - which is quite unusual, but i then had a 6 week period, so i too think the bleeding can last up to about 6-8 weeks. if you are feeling extra tired etc, i found i was anemic after my c-section and a trip to the doc's and some iron tablets really sorted me out :D xxx

I bled really heavily for the first 2 weeks, midwife took a swab cause she said tha wasnt normal,turned out I had an infection,I still bled up until 10 weeks after my section though it did get lighter with time.

Mine is just starting to look like it might stop now, so thats nearly 5 weeks (and it hasnt stopped yet:dohh:)

I only bled for like 4 days after my c-section, but I did have sort of spotting for a couple weeks every few days.. they told me you SHOULD bleed for less time with a cesarean birth than you would with a vaginal delivery, but as you can see, some girls here have bled for quite awhile!

mine only went on for 12 days - which is quite unusual, but i then had a 6 week period, so i too think the bleeding can last up to about 6-8 weeks. if you are feeling extra tired etc, i found i was anemic after my c-section and a trip to the doc's and some iron tablets really sorted me out :D xxx

I do have Iron tablets as I lost 2.6ltrs of blood, but they dont seem to make me less tired............just make me shit bricks!

How long has it been since your c-section?

Honestly I was exhausted for weeks after it. I had an infection BUT even those with 'normal' recoveries report feeling exhausted and tiring easily for the first couple weeks..

I bled for 5 1/2 weeks, had like a 4 day break and had my period for 4 weeks. I bled for close to 10 weeks all together.

My lochia ended exactly at 5 weeks, but throughout the last 2-3 weeks it was spotty and on and off! Wasn't a constant!

I lost 700mls on my notes and am slighlty aneamic (9. odd) - I dont think 700mls is a lot though - 2 1/2 cans worth?
Mine has just started getting heavier, it resembles a proper period right now from being that rusty colour, and I am on day 8 post c-section.
I was told it wouldnt last as long as vaginal birth is all I know.

Im on day 12 and still have bright red blood though only when I go to the toilet not in between. I have been told to expect it for up to 6 weeks but thats all they have said. Take care :hugs: XX

Our son is nearly 3 weeks now and I still have bleeding and even clots every now & then... I'm just hoping it won't last for too much longer...

now onto day 16/17 and still bleeding but it's kind of mustard coloured now and very watery. Feels like coming to the end of it but I always speak too soon on these things!

My bleeding stopped completely at 2 weeks 1 day, so hopefully not much longer for you now, take care :hugs: XX

I bled for nine weeks after my section, was on iron tablets due to blood loss so not sure if this affects it in any way!!!

Then again I had complete placenta praevia so not sure if this would affect how long lochia lasts for!!

I reckon its different for every women and every pregnancy, but if you are ever worried about anything contact your health visitor just to put your mind at rest x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->