Blighted ovum - why waiting :(

jamielou

Mum to one!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I had a scan at 7 weeks 2 days and it was just an empty sac. Was awful as I have a tilted uterus so it was ages fiddling about then to find there was no baby. I think I was a bit numb and just asked when will i miscarry etc etc but they said I have to wait till next thursday for another scan (procedure apparentely) before I can either choose the tablets to induce mc or have a d&c. :( Why do i have to have another scan?? It seems cruel they want me to go back just to see the empty sac again, I can't move on till i know it's gone and the lady said i would probably not miscarry naturally anytime soon as the sac is measuring correctly, just no fetal pole anything else was found :(

Any advice would help

I am sorry that you are going through this.

I had a private scan at almost 8 weeks and the result was the same as yours. But they said I had to return in 5 days to be sure that the dates aren't off (even though the sac was measuring about the right size) and that it was a blighted ovum. On the day of the second scan I was then seen by the hospital and booked in for medical management 2 days later - so the whole process was completed in just over a week.

During the second scan I didn't look at the screen (you don't have to look)- I didn't see the point in upsetting myself as I had come to terms that the outcome was most likely a mc.

I also had the option to mc naturally but opted for medical help as just wanted it over to get closure and didn't like not knowing when it would happen.

I had a blighted ovum last year and opted for the second scan just to be sure. Oddly enough, seeing it the second time wasn't that emotional for me at all. I knew there wasn't going to be any change, so seeing it when I was prepared for it really wasn't that difficult (whereas I completely bawled my eyes out the first time I saw the screen).

Thank you all :( I wont be looking at the screen, it feels too painful. I feel like i have no right to mourn as there was no baby. I am still having pregnancy symptoms so don't think i will miscarry naturally anytime soon. How soon did you return to work after the surgery?

You absolutely have a right to mourn. It is also always possible that a baby did form and stopped too early to be seen and/or was reabsorbed. There's no way to know. If you need to grieve, grieve. You have every right to.

I had a D&C late Friday night/early Saturday morning. I rested over the weekend, worked a half day on Monday (for which my boss yelled at me lol), and then was back at work full-time on Tuesday.

I was not told this is what happened to me but at home I past an empty sac. I had been admitted to hospital and that was where I past my baby. She was weeks younger than the sac. 9 weeks later and I still find it hard to come to terms with.

Thank you all. I am back to work tuesday, dreading it as i have to do 3 days before i even get a date for the D&C. Want it over with now.

You have had a loss. I took a month of to help me with my loss

My pregnancy wasn't quite a blighted ovum, the embryo managed to grow to 3mm but never had a heart beat.

I found the between scans wait horrendous. I think it "policy" as a lot of women don't know there ovulation date. I knew my ovulation date, and I'd tested from 7dpo, with BFP at 10dpo so there was no chance my dates were out. And yet, even with knowledge of how long I'd been testing positive I was sent away for 9 days. If you google stuff you find stories of doom and gloom, and also positive stories of misdiagnosed miscarriages - both equally as torturous.

I opted for medical miscarriage which didn't work and I even up bleeding heavily a few days later, going into A&E and needing the op as an emergency. I don't work.... but I was putting up a tent in a field a little over 48 hours post op, and hiked 15k with a toddler on my back 3 days post op! So you recover quickly!!

Hi all,

I had a scan at 7 weeks 2 days and it was just an empty sac. Was awful as I have a tilted uterus so it was ages fiddling about then to find there was no baby. I think I was a bit numb and just asked when will i miscarry etc etc but they said I have to wait till next thursday for another scan (procedure apparentely) before I can either choose the tablets to induce mc or have a d&c. :( Why do i have to have another scan?? It seems cruel they want me to go back just to see the empty sac again, I can't move on till i know it's gone and the lady said i would probably not miscarry naturally anytime soon as the sac is measuring correctly, just no fetal pole anything else was found :(

Any advice would help

They didn't even offer a second scan for me. Or the option of waiting. They said "D&C!" and scheduled it 2 days later. I started naturally miscarrying it the night before the procedure. I'm not even really sure if it was a blighted ovum as the doctor said, "I think it might be a blighted ovum. I just see a lot of tissue, but no baby. There could be one without a heartbeat though". I hate not knowing.

I say do the second scan. :hugs:

Hi all, had another scan, sac still growing but no baby so unlikely i will m/c naturally. will have surgery tuesday x

I too, had a blighted ovum and appreciate what you're going through. I felt quite torn; I felt sad because I was miscarrying, but then I felt guilty because there was 'never a baby'. Sure does screw with your head!! I was fortunate to have a friend go through the same thing, so we could talk about it when I was feeling down - she was very helpful. Even my husband didn't quite get it like she did! I hope you can find that buddy to talk things through! Thinking of you!

thanks guys, work wasn too bad today, just want to draw a line under it all now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->