Blind babies. How would you know??

Aidan's Mummy

Mummy to Aidan and Oliver
Reaction score
Well me and my mum were talking today about a blind girl she knows. I don't think Aidan is blind as he looks at everything. But how would you tell if a baby is blind or not?? I mean they can't tell you. I'm just really curious and its been bugging me all day so i thought i'd ask you ladies :D
xx

I guess the same way you tell their not. they don't look at things and such.

Are there eyes alittle different in colour if they are blind? Im not too sure?

Are there eyes alittle different in colour if they are blind? Im not too sure?

Yeah i think there is something different about there eyes that a doc would pick up on. Like when they shine that light on babies eyes and i guess if baby was blind and couldnt see that light the doc wouldnt get the same reaction as a baby who wasnt blind! Thats just a guess though im not actually to sure!

the light they shine checks for a red reflex which you wouldn't see if a child had cataracts. But its not to check for blindness. Think if child wasn't focusing or looking at things would be one of the first ways to know?

I think it can't be picked up on until 6 months. Once they hit 6 months if they can't follow an object from left to right they start checking.

Two of my cousins were born blind and it wasn't found out until they were much older(6-8 months).

There are a lot of signals that parents can get, such as a baby not following objects. Also, as smiling is a learned response to us smiling at them, a baby who doesn't smile is often a signal that your baby can't see.
Blind babies can be diagnosed from earlier than 6 months, but I'm sure it depends on what is the cause of their blindness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->