Blood Tests

sarah2211

Reaction score
I went to my doctor today as I had been tentatively diagnosed with PCOS but had an IUD so it wasn't confirmed. I explained we'd been trying since November and she said that for both those reasons it was worthy of doing some blood tests.

She's ordered the following:
CD 2- FSH & Oestradiol
CD 21- Progesterone

She was quite a young doctor, probably mid 20s and although she was lovely, she didn't seem all that confident in this area. She didn't really seem to know which test I needed done on which day, but decided on this.

I'm wondering if she's ordered the right blood tests and if this is enough to check what's going on?
What if CD 2 and 21 fall on a weekend/Easter and I'm not able to get a blood test. Is there any flexibility in these dates?

Thanks.

I don't know anything about the cd2 test but cd 21 test is testing your progesterone to see if you are ovulating.

Most docs start on cd21 because if you don't have a firm set cycle length they start with the "average" 28 day cycle. The progesterone test is supposed to be done 7 days past ovulation. So starting it on cd21 assumes you ovulate on cd14. If cd21 falls on a holiday or weekend then waiting a day or two won't alter the results too much.

My doc started me on cd 21 too. I ended up finding out through temping I ovulate on cd 17. so I switched it to cd24. I have a standing order with my lab so my doc doesn't actually know of the switch.

With your previous chart showing that you may have ovulated on cd19 then cd21 won't show much and will likely cause her to think you aren't ovulating. Keep temping and I would go for the blood test 7 dpo.

My OB said FSH is usually drawn on CD3, I forget the reason why. I have a lab for a 21 day progesterone. The lab is open on Saturdays but if closed on Sundays, in that case I was told to go with day 22 as it would not make a difference and would still determine if I ovulated.

Thanks so much.

Aayla, that's what I had wondered too. Last month I ovulated day 14, this month day 19 according to FF. I'm now CD34 and my last few months have been 29-31 days. I've been pretty stressed this month so I'm wondering if that has some effect on my cycles.

7DPO should fall on a week day next cycle so it should be fine.

Thanks 2Ducks, I see you've been diagnosed with PCOS, must be good to have some answers, although not the answer you wanted!

And if you took away the positive opk I would say you ovulated on Cd20 last month, by the temps you entered.

Start with cd21. If your progesterone is really low then either get your doc to repeat it in 6 days or try again the next cycle.

Sometimes it takes a few cycles to figure it all out. Especially if the doctors don't pay attention to your charts. Which sucks when you want a baby really bad.

I didn't bother with OPKs because my husband is away for work, so it didn't really matter. I thought I may have ovulated at CD14 as that's where FF first put the cross hairs (and we may have had a chance before my husband went away).

So you think testing 7dpo or CD 21?

Yeah the doctor didn't know what she was looking at when I showed her my chart.

Thanks so much.

If you are pretty sure you don't ovulate that early then I would say go with 7dpo basing it on temps.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I ovulated when FF says I did, especially with the watery CM. Plus AF just arrived, so that would put my luteal phase as 15, same as it has been the past 2 months.

I think I'll go with CD 3 for FSH test and 7DPO for progesterone.

Thanks.

No prob. keep us updated on how your tests turn out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->