BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

ok so just tried to explain BLW to my mum...oh it went well lol

shes think
im just being lazy
River will choke
that gagging and choking are exactly the same thing
its still appropriate to give babyrice before bed to FORCE them to sleep through
and didnt understand the idea of baby led parenting at all!

Tell her that in the early 1900s, babies were given bones to suck the marrow out of as their first food.

Times change!

aww well done Niamh! It's wicked to hear shes doing so well and such inspiration for us BLW'ers at the start of our journey.

I completely forgot to tell everyone...he's trying out the pincer grab! He tried so hard and really concentrated on trying to pick up a piece of banana with his thumb & finger, he just couldn't quite do it, he grabbed it then let it go lol

Sublime, we give Freya's last bottle after her bath, in her bedroom then she goes to sleep. Good luck with it! :)

Was wondering if anyone else's LO does this...For the past few weeks Freya has been poking her food around with her index finger, it looks really funny, she pokes everything like this now, sometimes with both her index fingers at the same time :rofl:

We had lasagne tonight, Freya hasn't eaten proper stuff for a few weeks because of being ill, I didn't think she was going to bother with it, she just poked away at it and then when me and Jake had finished she started on it and ate loads! :D

I have stopped giving her fruit and yoghurt for a while now as she got to a point where she would only eat blueberries :dohh:

omg a really quick one as Daisy is waking up from her nap .... she ate a whole Weetabix thismorning!!! surely this is waay too much ???i was so so so worried cos of all the Fibre but she's done a nice big poo...... :shrug:

Advice from Food Standards Agency
Don’t give your baby high-fibre versions of foods, especially those with added bran. It stops babies from absorbing important minerals such as calcium and iron. It’s better not to give your baby brown rice, wholemeal pasta or bran-enriched breakfast cereals until they are older, although you can give some brown bread.

Jayleigh, with banana, I found that if I left the skin on, she'd just suck the skin or ended up peeling it! But without the skin on, it was just a little too big to hold as it was too slippery.
So, I cut the bit I'm offering her in half long ways, so she has two long slices and put the curved part on her tray so that she can pick it up - if the flat edge goes against the tray then it just sticks and is impossible for her to pick up. Found that the best way for us :thumbup:

oh no :nope: from the way it was worded in the bible it said not to give too much fibre etc etc but as a once in a while kinda thing was ok ?? or did i just make this up ?? i have lent my bible out to a girl at baby group and havent had it to consult for the past few weeks :dohh:

Sublime, we give Freya's last bottle after her bath, in her bedroom then she goes to sleep. Good luck with it! :)

Was wondering if anyone else's LO does this...For the past few weeks Freya has been poking her food around with her index finger, it looks really funny, she pokes everything like this now, sometimes with both her index fingers at the same time :rofl:

We had lasagne tonight, Freya hasn't eaten proper stuff for a few weeks because of being ill, I didn't think she was going to bother with it, she just poked away at it and then when me and Jake had finished she started on it and ate loads! :D

I have stopped giving her fruit and yoghurt for a while now as she got to a point where she would only eat blueberries :dohh:

OMG that must be so so cute!!LOL

we did raspberry;s the other day with yoghurt and she looked a similar picture to freya's except she was totally Naked and she had Yoghurt in unmentionable places :blush:

i've never had Blueberry's - do they have to be prepped? they always look like they need to have an end cut off them ????

sara

xxxx

Wow, really interesting to come back to this thread and see so many new BLW Mummies! :happydance:

Niamh is just over a year old now, and we have BLW since she was 6 months. We get comments all the time from people about how well she eats. She will literally eat anything, and we haven't found anything yet she dislikes! We went out for lunch today and she had some nice chicken and peas, then decided she wanted fish off my Mums plate, cucumber off OHs and some baked potato from mine :lol:

:yipee:

I hope Otter is the same when he is that age! :)

What kind of fiber??

Is fruit fiber okay? Like plums and prunes??

yeah i think so TL... its more whole wheat pasta brown bread etc that you're not meant to give

I don't have my bible either Sara..
Violet was having wholegrain bread/pita bread more or less since we started BLW and well you probably know of the issues we've had with her nappy rash and her really dirty nappies.... Well, last couple of weeks we've changed to white bread completely and things have greatly improved. I don't know whether it's pure coincidence because she was also cutting two teeth at the same time as having brown bread (both teeth are now more than half way up). It could be complete coincidence but I won't be trying her on wholegrain bread for another couple of months I think. We've never had wholegrain or high fibre versions of anything else though.

Unless you start noticing a change in her nappy contents, I wouldn't really worry? I don't think a bit of weetabix is going to hurt?

Weetabix should be fine, I think it's just constantly choosing high fibre versions of food. DH and I always used to have brown rice and pasta and we've now changed back to white for Aisling. We all have best of both bread which doesn't cause problems. Anything natural like fruit should be fine as long as LO doesn't get bunged up.

It's great to hear how well Niamh is doing, I was just thinking the other day that it'd be great if some of you guys like Elm and Helen came back to give us an update! :hugs:

yeh, thats what i thought...she certainly managed to get it out ok! LOL i was worried it might stuff her up especially with the amount she ate!! she just kept going and going!!!

i try to make sure i follow as many of the 'rules' as i can... and she only has weetabix once or twice a month so i'm sure that frequency wont hurt her! i've heard of far worse things ......... (Tomato soup in a bottle for a 5 week old!!:saywhat:) i feel like i am running out of things to give her for brekkie now... we usually have toast, Porridge (made with her formula) have given her rice krispies with yoghurt once (is this ok??) eggy bread a couple of times dont want it to get borring for her!! i know theres omlette and scrambled eggs etc but in a morning i need something thats not too hard to make as she will only tolerate being left to amuse herself for so long ( for those that read my thread in Baby club a while ago it does seem to be improving:) ) so i cant spend hours in the kitchen rustling up a culinary delight !!!LOL

anyhoo sorry for the ramble !!LOL dont think there was really much point in that post was there ?? ermm god i dunno..i'm too tired :dohh:

sara

xxx

Weetabix should be fine, I think it's just constantly choosing high fibre versions of food. DH and I always used to have brown rice and pasta and we've now changed back to white for Aisling. We all have best of both bread which doesn't cause problems. Anything natural like fruit should be fine as long as LO doesn't get bunged up.

It's great to hear how well Niamh is doing, I was just thinking the other day that it'd be great if some of you guys like Elm and Helen came back to give us an update! :hugs:

yeah i was thinking that too Lu! i love to hear how well all the 'graduates' are doing!LOL i love looking back over the thread brfore the current 'term' started and seeing they went through pretty much the same stuff etc etc !!!LOL

Well done Niamh!!

sara

xxxxxx

I used to give Violet rice krispies with yogurt - I remember rice krispies being recommended in the bible :thumbup:

If you want other quick things for breakie, what about pancakes and crumpets? Violet's been having toast for a couple of weeks now so I'm going to pick some up tomorrow for her, she hasn't had them for aaages so should be a welcome change for her!

God poor Aisling, she has porridge every morning! :blush: She seems to love it though! Lunch is always toast or pitta bread of some form so I don't want to use our bread allowance on breakfast! :lol:

Freya has porridge or fruit for breakfast, she won't eat toast :dohh: We still don't do brekkie every day though.

ooh i never thought of crumpets !!! thanks for that Faille!! Daisy Loves porridge and weetabix and toast i just dont want to get her so used to those for brekkie that she will onlly have that ITKWIM? we have to be careful with crumpets tho as daddy is a crumpet feind and will eat all of them before we get there!! LOL Will have to try pancakes too, tho it'll just be Daisy doing that as i HATE those evil little blighters!!LOL

just had an idea..for those who were asking what you're supposed to do in case of proper choking i can send some stuff via e mail to anyone that wants it ... just pm me your e mail addy :)

sara

xxxxxxx

Ruby has weetabix or Oatibix sometimes - I only ever give her half a one though and not every day due to the fibre content and the fact it does have a little sugar and salt added. She loves it though! I alternate it with yoghurt and rice Krispies. I don't give her bread at breakfast unless I've nothing else for her, as she usually has quite a bit of it at lunchtime.

Ruby has been throwing up her milk a lot :( I'm not sure why, but when we've finished the current lot of hungry baby milk we've got, we're going back to first milk to see if this improves things. She's perfectly happy and ok otherwise, just throwing up loads of milk. I'm only giving her 3 x 6oz and 1 x 8oz per day now so don't think she's on too much....will have to ask the oh-so-helpful HV...

Oh and Ruby loves pancakes too....but be careful, I noticed some brands have nasty hydrogenated fats and a lot of sugar added :( checking the labels takes me aaaages these days...

Claire, Aisling went through a phase a few weeks back of throwing up her milk, not too sure what it was about but she's stopped now :shrug: Just to say it might not have anything to do with the particular formula you're using xx

Think I'll get some rice krispies in to give with yoghurt so the poor girl doesn't get bored of porridge!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->