BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Lol@Ruby eating like a dog :lol: - shes obviously not letting anything get in the way of her food now!

That's great fantastica, glad your mum is at least willing to give it a go and support you :thumbup:

Charlie, most babies on puree have finger food introduced around 6/7 months so you could just start giving him some finger food from 6m and let him handle it himself.

Kirsten, Violet's usually eating for about an hour too.

Wow, loads to catch up on! Sounds like everyone is doing well, though.

Way to go on the hissy Fantastica. I'm glad you got your mum to understand better.

So... Uk peeps... what is the difference between a doidy and a sippy? I need to start Otter on something like this soon, I think. We still aren't really consistent with meals or anything. He usually gets a go at BLW 4-5 days per week at dinner time. The other days he's usually asleep at dinner and I don't bother waking him. But he'll be 6 months in a couple of weeks and I need to start proper then.

Still battling his refusal to poo :grr: (I call it refusal as when he does actually go it is not hard or dry. I'm at a loss. :confused: ). So, I need to make sure he gets some water when he eats solids to see if that helps. Do you think water is best? Or should I try EBM?

A doidy has an open top, but is tilted to make it easier for them to drink:

https://espimages.biz/2149/I/119/8/scaleRed-Doidy.gif

A sippy is anything with a spout.

I would try water if I were you :D

Thanks! I like the look of the doidy. I wonder what they call them here so I can find one. :rofl:

He has a sippy, but doesn't seem to get it -- tries to use it like a bottle. :dohh:

Here is Freya making a snotty mess with her doidy, she drinks out of it better than this sometimes, but I don't have any videos!

https://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab231/freya100509/th_MOV02301.jpg

Aww, she's so cute!!! and so excited for it. :mrgreen: Completely adorable.

hey ladies!!!!
kirsten Freya is SOOO cute!!!
love her little chuckle!

ruby does the same with the doidy.. shes too lazy to lift it most times so if i dont, she generally just sticks head into it!!

today we had toast & avacado for brekkie, and its swede chunks for tea... havent introduced lunch yet, but planning to this week!
do you guys offer any 'supper' before bed, or just breakfast lunch & dinner? my Oh thinks she should be having a bit of toast or something for supper, but personally i dont think she should! i hate going to bed on a full tummy!

Aww Freya's so cute! Looks like she knows exactly what it's for :thumbup:

NI, we only do 3 meals but may have to start introducing a snack between lunch & dinner as dinner is going to become later when I go back to work.

We only do 2-3 solid meals. I don't think their tummies need to be full of solids at night, a full tummy of milk should be all they need IMO!

I'd rather Ruby snacked on milk than solids for now.

given that it will take connah a few weeks to get the hang of BLW,would it not be like taking a step backwards for him as he is on 3 very small meals a day of puree?

I'd love to do it but would rather stick to what he knows for now and give finger foods in a few months when his weaning is well established. Otherwise i can see his routine being somewhat upset :shrug:

That is ultimately up to you, hon. But if you truly want to do BLW (and not traditional weaning), you really don't give purees at all. :nope:

Milk is really all he needs. Is he FF or BFed? The only concern might be that it would take a couple of days of increased feeds to get your supply back up to his needs if you are BFing. If you are FFing, just increase his FFs as necessary until he needs less again.

Really the only thing to do would be to give it a try and see if it works for you. If you do BLW for a few days and he is frustrated, then maybe purees and finger foods are the way forward for him.

I have a friend that does purees and finger foods - every time I have seen the LO try to be fed purees, she has a fit. Every time I see her eat regular food, she does well. I think she would switch to pure BLW no problem. Maybe Connah would be the same?

Charlie, like TL said, if you wanna go straight down the BLW weaning route then it does mean cutting the purees out but you can counter this with increased milk feeds until he starts getting the hang of eating and eating enough.

We've been doing BLW since 5.5m (so nearly 3months now) and Violet has only just dropped a bottle within the last week so that kinda gives a guideline from one persons experience - obviously there will be babies who drop faster and some slower.. But it basically means she's only just started getting/eating enough solids.

If you wanna stick with puree then there's nothing stopping you from introducing finger foods and putting an ephasise on those.

If you are seriously interested in BLW though, I'd strongly recommend getting the book by Gill Rapley as there's lots of info in there about switching from puree to BLW. :flower:

Just had the meeting with the Boss Lady at Otter's daycare and looks like I can go forward with BLW at lunch times there. Whew!

It isn't the perfect situation, but will hopefully work. The infant room is separate from every other room there and adults are not allowed to eat in the infant room. Which means if Otter eats in there, he is only exposed to other babies eating purees and being spoon fed. :dohh:

So, we agreed to the following:

The one year olds eat at 11 am and adults can eat with them. They have a small table that is about knee high. We can take Otter's high chair (which will put him well above the rest of them -- the only bad part) into the one year room and he can eat while they do -- and I will eat with him. Then he can have a boob feed after eating. All this done on my lunch hour. :wacko:

It might mean that I have to cut his BLW lunch a bit short... he can probably get 30 minutes for eating and that is it.

Do you ladies think this will be "good enough"? I know it is not ideal, but I have constraints. The caregiver in the infant room isn't comfortable with BLW at all. :(

Or any other suggestions on how to tweak it?

Thanks, :flower:

TL, glad the nursery are at least willing to negotiate with you so that you can continue BLW!

I reckon, give them a couple of months (if that) and they'll see just how relaxed it is and give them the chance to become comfortable with it and obviously let LO settle in and eating in front of new people. You might find he doesn't eat much at all to start with because of all the new excitement so 30mins might well be long enough!!

When I go back to work, our dinner time is going to be far from ideal but you've just got to work with what you've got - can't do any more than that :hugs:

Charlie, like TL said, if you wanna go straight down the BLW weaning route then it does mean cutting the purees out but you can counter this with increased milk feeds until he starts getting the hang of eating and eating enough.

We've been doing BLW since 5.5m (so nearly 3months now) and Violet has only just dropped a bottle within the last week so that kinda gives a guideline from one persons experience - obviously there will be babies who drop faster and some slower.. But it basically means she's only just started getting/eating enough solids.

If you wanna stick with puree then there's nothing stopping you from introducing finger foods and putting an ephasise on those.

If you are seriously interested in BLW though, I'd strongly recommend getting the book by Gill Rapley as there's lots of info in there about switching from puree to BLW. :flower:

Thanks for the advice,just ordered the book off amazon now :D

aww Freya is so so cute.. i love seing pics and vids of her !!! everyine seems to be doing fantastically well with eating or pursuading people that BLW isnt the devils work!LOL

well today has been a little stressy :dohh: Daisy had a fruit selection for lunch...Banana,Strawberry,Blueberry and Pear.......Banana stuck to the table, Blueberry rolled off the table and pear was too hard and she got really frustrated with it.....the strawberry went down really well:thumbup: but she got so so so mad cos she couldnt get everything else :hissy:

we had Chilli for Dinner and she was so so so loving it but again she just couldnt pick it up and it was just falling out of her hands as it wasnt actually 'finger food' IYGWIM? and again got really really frustrated with herself so we got a spoon and loaded for her and let her feed from that feels like we cheated a bit tho ?? how does everyine elses bub's manage rice etc??? she knows that she wants it and REALLY REALLY wants it but she just couldnt do it bless her!

sara

xxxxxxx

Freya has only just started to manage stuf flike rice and chilli, so don't worry Sara, I would just wait a bit before you expect her to eat it, but keep offering it if you want. :hugs:

I'm not sure what to expect when Freya goes to nursery, I am going in this week to sort it out. It's very small and relaxed, when I last went in Freya was the youngest there, I mentioned BLW to them but they weren't sure what I meant :dohh:

I saw their menu for the older kids (she was showing me, so not sure if Freya is going to be offered that too?) and it was fine, like normal meals. I suppose if you have a baby on purees they expect you to provide the puree? So hopefully they will let her eat the normal food, I am going to have to explain it really well! They all eat at the same time too, which is good, and the little ones sit in high chairs in a circle so they are facing each other...not sure what she will think of that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->