BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Hmm I've had this with Ruby a couple of times, like 2 weeks ago I gave her pear which she usually eats loads of, but she spat it all out, for a few days actually...but I tried it again on Monday and she ate it normally again. Phase I reckon.

Hello!

I've been thinking about BLW for a while and thought I might do it alongside purées, but having read Gill Rapley's book and some of your experiences on this thread, I'm definitely going to give it a go.

Just wondering when you all started. I got the impression that the book suggests not before 6 months, but what if baby is already reaching out to play with my food? Should I keep stopping her? She's only just turned 5 months.

I think I'm getting a bit excited by it all - maybe I should just be patient and wait a few more weeks!

Hi Tacey!
Some people in this thread did start at 5 months. The only thing I'd say against starting now is that there is a pretty long list of foods you can't give before 6 months. That said, she probably won't eat for a while anyway, as you'll know as you've read the book :)

That's true. But if she managed to swallow something like toast early (miraculously!) I wouldn't want it to affect her badly. Hmm. Maybe I'll hold off for a couple of weeks and then let her play with some veggies. Thanks for the reply!

Hi Tacey!

I started with Olivia when she was just over 5 1/2 months but I only offered things like carrot sticks and apple until she reached 6 months.

Hmm I've had this with Ruby a couple of times, like 2 weeks ago I gave her pear which she usually eats loads of, but she spat it all out, for a few days actually...but I tried it again on Monday and she ate it normally again. Phase I reckon.

If it is a phase, I hope it passes quickly! Our mealtimes are long anyway but even though she hasnt been swallowing much, mealtimes are now last about 30 minutes at least.

She chews the food, spits it out and then picks it back up and chews again :wacko:

Hello!

I've been thinking about BLW for a while and thought I might do it alongside purées, but having read Gill Rapley's book and some of your experiences on this thread, I'm definitely going to give it a go.

Just wondering when you all started. I got the impression that the book suggests not before 6 months, but what if baby is already reaching out to play with my food? Should I keep stopping her? She's only just turned 5 months.

I think I'm getting a bit excited by it all - maybe I should just be patient and wait a few more weeks!

I'm glad you are going to give it a true go! :mrgreen:

We started early as my LO would have it no other way. I tried everything I could to put him off. I would first make sure you can tick off all the important signs of being ready (there are more than just playing with food). Some of the main ones:

Can sit upright unassisted. Can sit upright with minimal support for longer periods.
Reaching for and grabbing food from adults' plates.
Watching adults eat and mimicing the chewing motion.
Chewing (not just sucking) on fists, toys, etc.
Loss of tongue thrust reflex (or at least mostly loosing it)

I feel like there are more but I can't think of them! PG brain!! :dohh:

Anyway, Otter showed all of these. I gave him spoons and other things to play with at dinner to try to occupy him for a while. That worked for about a week. It got to the point where he would throw an absolute FIT :hissy: at dinner time and ONLY be satisfied by being allowed to properly partcipate.

So, we started very carefully and slowly at almost 5 months (probably closer to 4.5). I gave him only steamed veggie sticks (like carrot or sweet potato) and fruit (like watermelon), only at dinner time, and not every night. Usually about 4-5 times per week. We went about it that way until just before 6 months when we started with giving him actual parts of our meals.

I would try to put her off any way you can for as long as you can. She will tell you when she won't have any more of it! :)

Thanks for your advice! She is doing most of those things (except I'm not sure how to test the tongue thrust reflex) but although she does get very interested at meal times and reaches for my food, she doesn't get too cross about not getting at it. I think I'll try and be good and wait until I'm certain she's ready.

By the way - congratulations on your pregnancy Tigerlady! I'm trying to persuade DH but he's not got over the shock of birth number 1 yet!

Tacye - we started doing purees before 6months as he was showing signs...it was only from coming on this forum that I discovered BLW...so we switched at 6!! It's so much more fun, and he definitely likes BLW so much more!! So maybe it's best to try and hold out...but if not it's obv not the end of the world! Other than that can only echo what everyone's already said! x

Ahh...i'm getting so stressed about weaning :(. It's probably just the day i'm having...but that's where it's being focused. Basically I've gone straight from eating like a student...to needing to make compltetely healthy meals suitable for a little un...and it's proving harder than I though!!

Could anyone please let me know a sort of basic menu they use throughout the day?! Or just some ideas of things your LOs like? Will also give the recipes people have posted a go too...just seem to be running out of things to try!

Also...if anyone's heard of veggie fingers...are they ok?!

Maybe we should resurrect the BLW recipe thread?

I try to do a varied menu, so will be hard to sum up, but I will try...

Brekkie: share oatmeal, toast, yogurt, fruit
Lunch: Sandwich (like grilled cheese, turkey & cheese, etc) with fruit
Dinner: VARIED! I try to do a healthy meat -- chicken, steak, etc and a veg or fruit side. Hmm.. I'll just list some of the things I have done this week:

Steak (broiled in the oven), asparagus/pepper side. This side is a BIG hit with Otter. Roast red peppers in the oven (I leave the skins on), slice and put in a bowl. Boil asparagus spears until tender, add to bowl. Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil. I add salt and pepper for the adults, but don't for Otter.

Tuna melts and strawberries. Make up tuna, place on bread, muffins, etc (I used sourdough english muffins), place slice of cheese over it, bake in oven until warm and cheese melted. Served whole strawberries as a side.

Chicken breasts and steamed broccoli. I just marinate the chicken breasts for a couple of hours, then cook on the stove top. Steam broccoli to serve as a side.

Tonight is Beef Stew. Cubed stew meat, celery, onions, potatoes and carrots in the slow cooker all day with the seasonings for stew. Will probably serve with a piece of bread or something.

HTH some! :flower:

Oh, I also have done that aspargus/pepper thing without the peppers and did sun dried tomatoes instead. Also a big hit!

Hey sorry to barge in lol...:haha:

but im wanting to BLW and was wondering if there are any good books i could be reading and clueing myself up on lol...spesh as my HV is useless and has never heard of such a thing..as she put it haha!

TIA girls :flower:

There is really only the one book and it is a must read! Baby-led Weaning by Gill Rapley. Definitely get it and read it before starting. :mrgreen:

There is really only the one book and it is a must read! Baby-led Weaning by Gill Rapley. Definitely get it and read it before starting. :mrgreen:

oooh thanks hun! A must buy when im out tommorrow me thinks :thumbup:

The only book you'll ever need is the Gill Rapley book :thumbup:

And TL, I agree, maybe we should revive the BLW recipe thread - that was a great idea and gave me a few ideas in just those few pages :flower:

TL - I'm hungry after your post!!!

Can LO's have smoked salmon - I made some smoked salmon pate for lunch tomorrow. If he can't have it he can have cream cheese but I do tend to chuck it in pasta & risotto so it'd be good to know.

Hi girls. I started BLW with Katie this week & it's going well!! So far she's had cucumber, strawberries, toast, carrots, brocolli, mango, turkey steak, cauliflower & melon. I didn't think she's swallowed any after the first meal, but then found bits of brocolli & carrot in her nappy the day after :thumbup:

TL - the sandwiches you make for Otter, I presume you cut them up into 'sticks' for him? Or is he able to rip/bite bits off the whole muffin?

Oh & with the toast - I gave it her dry as I was unsure if our olive oil spread would be ok due to the salt content. In the book it says you can use 100% fruit spread or nut butter - does that mean peanut butter? What do you girls put on their toast?

TL - I'm hungry after your post!!!

Can LO's have smoked salmon - I made some smoked salmon pate for lunch tomorrow. If he can't have it he can have cream cheese but I do tend to chuck it in pasta & risotto so it'd be good to know.

Yeah smoked salmon is fine. Think I will try Ruby with some actually, but I won't be very impressed if she chucks it on the floor!

Hi girls. I started BLW with Katie this week & it's going well!! So far she's had cucumber, strawberries, toast, carrots, brocolli, mango, turkey steak, cauliflower & melon. I didn't think she's swallowed any after the first meal, but then found bits of brocolli & carrot in her nappy the day after :thumbup:

TL - the sandwiches you make for Otter, I presume you cut them up into 'sticks' for him? Or is he able to rip/bite bits off the whole muffin?

Oh & with the toast - I gave it her dry as I was unsure if our olive oil spread would be ok due to the salt content. In the book it says you can use 100% fruit spread or nut butter - does that mean peanut butter? What do you girls put on their toast?

Hi :) Glad BLW is going well so far!
I put anything on Ruby's toast! So far she's had:
- 100% fruit spread
- Marmite spread very thinly
- Cream cheese
- cheddar cheese (cheese on toast)
- Tuna and sweetcorn
- Tomato puree, mozarella and basil
I use unsalted butter if I happen to have some in but mostly I just use flora buttery.

When I give muffins I cut them up into strips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->