BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Sun- I find Emma only really seems to get into a meal once we're done eating ours so we're left sitting around watching her (and now DH and I are eating more desserts :dohh:). I know Bun doesn't like sitting in his highchair much, but maybe letting him have a go at his meal from your lap after you're finished eating would work :shrug: Emma sucks the life out of rice cakes too- I keep them in my purse as emergency food for her if we end up grabbing a bite to eat that isn't really Emma-friendly :) Sometimes I'll spread homemade hummus or guacamole on them for her.

Craftymum- Emma's had a few days like that too. I've resorted to putting her in a mei tai carrier on my back so I can get dinner ready- she happily plays with my hair while I chop veggies.

Are rice cakes over there the same as here? They seem too crumbly to be able to eat easily - I find it almost impossible to spread anything on them!

These are the ones we have: https://www.lundberg.com/products/ricecakes.aspx

Edit: Maybe they just suck on them at first???

Yip same ones. Emma won't even suck them now! I have packets of the blooming things and she just looks at them in disgust!!!:wacko:

I'm a little stuck so some help would be appreciated!

I just know that LO isn't content with his milk only - thats why we began weaning lol! - but I'm getting a bit fixated on making sure he is eating something, which I'm sure is adding a bit of pressure to him...?

Tonight for example, he played with a cherry tomato, some roasted sweet potato and a little strip of chicken, but I'm sure that he didn't swallow any of it. Or if he did, it was minimal. So I kinda panic-ed a little and make up some porridge to give him.

I know that this was wrong, but I'm struggling to come up with foods that he will a) enjoy, and b) actually eat!

He does love taking things off a pre-loaded spoon, so do I maybe make up some chunky-ish soups? Or a stew?

I'm really confused and I'm worried now that I'm putting pressure on him when he doesn't need it :(

Hi Sun :) Gabriella wont eat rice cakes either - I think its the feel of them that she doesnt like more than the taste because she doesnt even put them to her mouth - I dont blame her - they're like cardboard!!

Jenny - I understand how you're feeling, I hate it when Gabriella doesnt eat much. Like today for example, she slept through breakfast, had a suck on some cheese off cheese on toast for lunch, and didnt eat anything at tea (she had potatoes and carrots out of corned beef hash). I do get anxious, but I know that she is still getting everything she needs from my milk, so I try not to get worked up about it. In complete contrast, she ate loads yesterday - porridge for breakfast, ham and cheese spread sandwich for lunch, and jam on toast and an orange for tea. Some days I just dont know where she puts it!!

How does everyone else give oranges/tangarines?? I peel it (obv) then just give the segments to her - she loves them and sucks and sucks at them until the actual orangey bit has gone out of the middle, and shes just left with the skin (iykwim). I take it off her at this point as im a bit scared that she'll choke - I know Im not supposed to take things off her with BLW, or is it that oranges are unsuitable at 6.5 months?? How does everyone else offer them??

Just now he's getting plenty of nutrition from milk, food is like a toy. He'll swallow bits and bobs and over time he'll start taking more. Just now though don't panic! Aslong as he's getting his milk he'll be fine.

If you do want to do preloaded spoons though I sometimes ddo yogurt, or she's had guacamole on a spoon, I also use bread sicks as a spoon. We tried stew but it jusst made her cross as everytime she tried to put it un her mouth it fell off.

Dom, I have only given satsumas to Adam, not oranges yet (but that's because I find oranges annoying to peel), and I only offered satsumas for the first time a couple of weeks ago (no real reason to wait but I decided to hold off acidic fruit a little while). I peel and break them into segments and he manages great, has never gagged, eats the whole thing - in seconds, usually, he just hoovers them up. :)

Thanks Mary Jo :) I dont know why im getting jittery about them - it might be because I sometimes find the skin stuff on them a bit tough myself, and when shes got a full piece worth in her mouth its quite a lot, but I dont want to stop giving them to her bacuse she absolutley loves them - they're her favourite fruit :) I cant think of another way that I could give them though, so i think Ill just have to trust her and let her get on with it

x

Thanks girls. We do porridge, yoghurt and weetabix on a pre-loaded spoon - basically because I know he likes these and will eat them! But I think hes definitely becoming a bit bored of the porridge and weetabix, so now I'm stuck :/

He does actually love rice cakes and toast (haven't tried un-toasted bread yet, like sandwiches), but I always worry that this isn't enough...

I give Ruby tinned madarin oranges. Apparently you should peel the segments of satsumas etc because they are a choking hazard otherwise, and I so can't be doing with that!

just posted this in the BF forum but then found this thread and hoping to pick your brains too!
there seems to be a lot about at the mo re LOs being deficient in iron, have read that at 6 months old breast milk does not contain enough iron for LOs, and they should be having those follow on milks and baby cereals with extra iron in. i want to do BLW when baby is old enough and don't want to introduce baby cereals or follow on milks, will breast feeding be enough for her until she is taking in enough iron rich foods herself? i have just received the rapley BLW book and am going to start reading asap but have noticed lots on here continue to breast feed long after 6 months, do you all supplement with these follow one milks/cereals? or is there no need, is there enough iron in breast milk?

just posted this in the BF forum but then found this thread and hoping to pick your brains too!
there seems to be a lot about at the mo re LOs being deficient in iron, have read that at 6 months old breast milk does not contain enough iron for LOs, and they should be having those follow on milks and baby cereals with extra iron in. i want to do BLW when baby is old enough and don't want to introduce baby cereals or follow on milks, will breast feeding be enough for her until she is taking in enough iron rich foods herself? i have just received the rapley BLW book and am going to start reading asap but have noticed lots on here continue to breast feed long after 6 months, do you all supplement with these follow one milks/cereals? or is there no need, is there enough iron in breast milk?

Hiya, we don't supplement with any other "iron rich" formula etc as although they are iron rich the iron in them is not as easily absorbed as the iron in breast milk. I personally think that breastmilk is sufficient on its own (probably until baby is well over a year old) so was happy to let baby play and get used to solids through baby led weaning whilst continuing to breastfeed on demand

Hiya, we don't supplement with any other "iron rich" formula etc as although they are iron rich the iron in them is not as easily absorbed as the iron in breast milk. I personally think that breastmilk is sufficient on its own (probably until baby is well over a year old) so was happy to let baby play and get used to solids through baby led weaning whilst continuing to breastfeed on demand
brill, that's what i hope to do! what age did you find you LO demands for breast milk reduced and intake of solids increased?

brill, that's what i hope to do! what age did you find you LO demands for breast milk reduced and intake of solids increased?

To be honest I haven't really noticed Sophia having less breastfeeds but they are definitely shorter snack type feeds during the day than proper ones (iykwim). i would say she properly started eating at about 7.5 months and took a little less milk then but mainly she is just pig and has both :dohh:

Thanks Mum2be_Claire, it never even occured to me to try tinned oranges. Im going to have to look out for them next time Im in Sainsbury's. Are they slimey like other tinned fruits or does Ruby manage them well?? She is quite a lot older than Gabriella too. I dont think she would be able to eat them if I peeled the segments because they just fall into them little bitty bits.

xx

Dom we have clementines/satusumas etc I peel break into segments then i break the membrane, skin he picks up a segment sucks the thing to death then deposits the membrane, although last time he mushed it round his mouth and ate them.

Thanks Maffie, I think Gabriella would eat them if I let her, but I am terrified of her choking on them. I think she did eat one last time, but I think she swallowed it down in one big lump rather than chew it - because they're so hard to chew I guess??

And congratulations on the pregnancy, I just noticed it on your siggy xx

Thanks dom. i was worried about choking but ive learnt slowly to let him gag things back up. He does it so well and it's so scary at first but it does get easier.

You don't need to supplement - just continue with the breastfeeding. Formula does have added iron but it's not a necessity and your breastmilk will suffice.

We were a bit naughty this weekend and gave LO some toast for brekkie - he loved it!!!

We are away with the ILs this weekend and he has been having just porridge with a puree mixed in and I've done a bit of spoonfeeding as well as loaded spoons so it's back to BLW properly on Monday!

God I must be awful. LO gets a teensy bit of toast every other morning. He loves it so mch though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->