BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

He ate most of a big bred stick today!! He loved it - gummed it to death til it went soggy. He did look like he was choking on a bit and OH leapt up to slap his back, but I stopped him. I knew that he would just bring it forward again if we left him and he did! Out came a huge piece of it. My OH and In-laws were looking at me like I was crazy though, until I explained the theory behind it all. The're clever things these babies!

What a clever lad :happydance::happydance::happydance:

I'm really lookin forward to starting with Alfie. What signs did you wait for before startin kat???

well done for standing back and letting him deal with it!!

xxx

What a clever lad :happydance::happydance::happydance:

I'm really lookin forward to starting with Alfie. What signs did you wait for before startin kat???

To be honest I just followed my own rules! He looked like he wanted food - grabbing it, biting fists, extra feeds etc and I know that these are all normal at this age. But the way I saw it was, if I gave him the food and he just played with it for 6 weeks, then fine. If he wanted to est it, then even better. I'm quite suprised about the events of the last couple of days to be honest! He had some carrot at the pub today too. We only offer him food once a day and most of the time, he just throws it. We'll just take things at his pace I think.

Sounds like it's going well Kat!!!

Hebe had a few new things while we were on holiday - apple, cucumber, pepper. She also ate nearly half a banana totally unaided!! It was sooooo funny. And the apple was funny too - she was rubbing it so hard on her gums that it was squeaking!!

I'm doing a bit of BLW with Niamh. Even though she's not 5 months yet she's trying everything i've given her and after feeding her ear a few times she's now hitting the target and getting stuff in her mouth!.

She liked banana, brocolli, soft carrot sticks, loved chewing on celery and sucked some asparagus to death. Not sure that she's swallowed much yet apart from some banana but she gets so excited when she sees me with her pink bowl and i put things on her tray.

I am also giving her banana porridge (didn't like baby rice). I load the spoon for her and she pops in her mouth.

She is doing so well all things considered.

I have a funny boy who won't touch bananas. Still! I'm always so (stupidly!) amazed when I read about other people's babies eating them esp baby led babies.

I'm glad that other people are doing this on here now :) Maybe if there had been more doing it when I first started weaning Ally I wouldn't have doubted myself so much!

If anyone remembers a post I posted a couple of weeks ago about Alasdair only wanting to eat carbohydrate, I have an update! He now won't touch carbohydrate until everything else on his tray is gone lol. Does anyone elses baby have an order they eat things in? Today I realised Alasdair had eaten one thing and not started on the next until the first was completely gone. So he had cheese, blueberries, grapes, cucumber and a ricecake lol. He even actually ate the green grapes before the red grapes!

I have a funny boy who won't touch bananas. Still! I'm always so (stupidly!) amazed when I read about other people's babies eating them esp baby led babies.

I'm glad that other people are doing this on here now :) Maybe if there had been more doing it when I first started weaning Ally I wouldn't have doubted myself so much!

If anyone remembers a post I posted a couple of weeks ago about Alasdair only wanting to eat carbohydrate, I have an update! He now won't touch carbohydrate until everything else on his tray is gone lol. Does anyone elses baby have an order they eat things in? Today I realised Alasdair had eaten one thing and not started on the next until the first was completely gone. So he had cheese, blueberries, grapes, cucumber and a ricecake lol. He even actually ate the green grapes before the red grapes!
Clever boy with his colour co-ordinating!!!

Just a little update!
We have been giving Oliver food for a while now - no joy really. Except great fun.
Today, he found his mouth with it!!! He tried carrot (it was ok), broccoli (his face was a picture!) and apple. He enjoyed it so much. I think we've started something now and anything goes! Really excited about this going forward now! How is everyone else doing>
P.s. Shall I ask the mods to move this to the weaning section, so can start a support thread for BLW?

well done Oliver :happydance:
Oooh I have a good update too kat!!
Rebecca has decided that she will not only eat purees but toast, steamed carrot sticks, rice ckes and now thinks she should be getting some of whatever I am eating!! including cups of tea :rofl:

cant wait until I can start giving her bits of what I am eating
Good idea about moving the thread, didnt realise so many people were doing BLW when I first posted

He ate most of a big bred stick today!! He loved it - gummed it to death til it went soggy. He did look like he was choking on a bit and OH leapt up to slap his back, but I stopped him. I knew that he would just bring it forward again if we left him and he did! Out came a huge piece of it. My OH and In-laws were looking at me like I was crazy though, until I explained the theory behind it all. The're clever things these babies!

This is why I havent told my inlaws that we are doing BLW as they will think I am crazy or stupid!! Rebecca has looked like she was choking a bit on a carrot and on a rice cake earlier today but I never take my eyes off her when she is eating so if she really was choking I would have been able to react quickly, scary stuff this!!

Sounds like it's going well Kat!!!

Hebe had a few new things while we were on holiday - apple, cucumber, pepper. She also ate nearly half a banana totally unaided!! It was sooooo funny. And the apple was funny too - she was rubbing it so hard on her gums that it was squeaking!!

Bloody hell Hebe!!! that great that she ate so much bannana!! did you just give her the whole thing to hold?

Ok how do I quote more than one persons reply in my reply?? if that makes sense!!:rofl:

We do this with Maley.....we give her purees aswell as she likes them but at the end I dip the spoon in the puree and give her the spoon and she has loads of fun licking it all off....i have a video somewhere....heres a pic

fingers foods we have tried so far are.....

sticks of cucumber,
rusks,
melon slices,
the crust end of toast,

and she likes it all!!! she has learnt to chew already which is great! she actually chewed a lump of melon which was great as i was sitting there holding my breath in case she chokes

Attachments

• DSC00562.jpg
    DSC00562.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 21
Clever Maley!! Hebe likes rusks too.

Sam - I gave her half the banana. When it got slimey and she kept dropping it I just passed it back to her. Then I gave her the second half in the skin. She sucked the skin a few times but it kept it from getting as slimey.

I am literally giving her anything off our plates so long as it's not processed or has salt or sauces on it.

She's gagged a couple of times but she just gets it back up on her own - so long as you keep an eye on them you'll be fine.

Tonight we've had a takeaway curry and she had chapati!!

Just a little update!
We have been giving Oliver food for a while now - no joy really. Except great fun.
Today, he found his mouth with it!!! He tried carrot (it was ok), broccoli (his face was a picture!) and apple. He enjoyed it so much. I think we've started something now and anything goes! Really excited about this going forward now! How is everyone else doing>
P.s. Shall I ask the mods to move this to the weaning section, so can start a support thread for BLW?

well done Oliver :happydance:
Oooh I have a good update too kat!!
Rebecca has decided that she will not only eat purees but toast, steamed carrot sticks, rice ckes and now thinks she should be getting some of whatever I am eating!! including cups of tea :rofl:

cant wait until I can start giving her bits of what I am eating
Good idea about moving the thread, didnt realise so many people were doing BLW when I first posted

A bit of advice for you hun, from experience of my nephew. If you give tea, make sure it's decaf. I know you probably make it very weak, but my parents did this with my nephew and before they knew it, he was addicted to the caffiene! So be careful. We only have decaf anyway, so we should be ok.

oops just re-read my post and it sounds like i give her tea:dohh: I dont she just tries to grab my cup of tea, even when she isnt on my knee!!:rofl:

Where have you all gone?!!
Oliver is doing well with his food. It is now reaching his mouth and going in on purpose! He loves his veggies, but rusks were a complete nightmare. It just swent everywhere and kept slipping out of his hands!:dohh:
Might try him with some sloppier foods soon - see what he makes of them. My God - he'll end up looking like Torias Caitlyn!!!:rofl:

Glad it's going well Kat. I'd go for trying him with sloppier foods! It's a lot of fun and in my experience they get really excited about it all :)

Our most interesting news to report is that a while ago Alasdair had a reaction to strawberries (first time he'd had them) and I was advised not to give them to him for a couple of months. I had a go at giving him them again on Saturday and he wouldn't put them in his mouth. He talked to them, he picked them up but they were not food to him. I'm not going to force him to try them again, he probably knows best and he eats plenty of other fruit and veg!

Hebe's just had BBQ'd courgette & aubergine (eggplant) !!! I'm gonn upload pics in a min....she loved the aubergine :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->