BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

:rofl: lisa!

was thinking of taking a trip into chester sooon if your available for coffee and crinkle cut veg snacks LOL

I found this recipe, that Oliver absolutely adores!! I stole it from someone else though, so sshhhh, don't tell!!

Savoury Flapjacks.

• 7oz Oats
• 7oz Grated cheese
• 7oz Grated courgette (or sweet potato if you fancy a change)
• 7oz Grated cheese
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 1tsp dried thyme/sage
• Salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to gas mark 7.
2. Grease a baking tin (the swiss roll size)
3. Mix all ingredients together and press firmly into the baking tray.
4. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.

Be very careful though - I keep eating them, they're that gorgeous!!!:dohh:

Alfie just had his first taste, well suck, of food!!!! i was eating a banana and he grabbed it and sucked it a few times :happydance:

Alfie just had his first taste, well suck, of food!!!! i was eating a banana and he grabbed it and sucked it a few times :happydance:

Yey :happydance: Well done Alfie! Onwards and upwards now. Roast dinner tonight??:rofl:

Now I know that you're not daft and have some common sense!! But this happened to us this morning, even though I knew better. Oliver had been eating pitta bread for breakfast and about 20 minutesafter he had finished eating, my hubby changed his nappy. I could hear Oliver coughing and thought to myself that we really should check his mouth after eating, then thought nothing of it.
When they came down, it turned out that he had secreted a bit of pita in his mouth somewhere and as hubby laid him down, he started choking on it. The strange thing was, that only an hour previously, he had asked me what to do if he was choking, so I gave him a run through of the back slap etc. He obviously executed this perfectly, as the pitta landed across the bed when he slapped him!
Anyway, just a word of warning, not to be too complacent - I wil certainly be checking Olivers mouth after EVERY meal time from now on.

Aside from that - how is everybody getting along? Things have been a bit quiet around here the last few days.
Oliver is now eating pittas (obviously!), cheese, weetabix, apples, peppers, savoury flapjacks (my favourite!) and anything else he can get his hands on! Only the day before yesterday, he had a lightbulb moment and now eats the food instead of playing with it. He pruposefully puts it into his mouth with gutso now. It's wonderful to see!

Glad you got him sorted :D I think bread items are particularly bad for that - Hebe sticks bits to the roof of her mouth while sucking and chewing so when she's done Irun a finger up there just incase. She also regurgitated some apple skin once and she just spat it out but had she been laid down she might now have found it as easy.
All good here too - just chipping along putting the same things we are having in front of her! No meat yet but that's coz I'm veggie so I'm not really in rush to.

I've read it's really common for babies to do that Kat. Alasdair doesn't seem to do it any more, maybe it's something they grow out of...maybe not!

Nothing new for us really. Alasdair eats everything and anything (obviously within reason!) I made chicken korma (a baby recipe, not from a jar with high salt or anything) for the first time last week. Ally liked it alright I s'pose! He still has days where he seems to eat very little apart from breakfast and fruit/vege. His weight gain is fine, and I know he's healthy so I don't worry.

Right, a question to you old timers!! (Yes Tezzy, that means you!!)
When do I start doing an actual menu as such? at the moment, we feed Oliver at our breakfast time and lte afternoon. He is far to tired in the evenings. We just give him things to play with and taste. A bit of veg, so me toast or pitta bread with something on it, that sort of thing. When do I need to actually start looking at what I'm giving and ensuring it has all the nutrition he needs?
This morning, he had toast with cream cheese and a slice of pear. He still only eats a bit of it, so obviously isn't eating for appetites sake yet.
I've just seen people posting saying that they give certain things at certain times, so am I doing it wrong?
I am doing 100% BLW, so no purees whatsoever.

hiya Kat,

for now i would say that you are fine with just giving him tastes of foods.. a bit of pear here and some pitta bread there is absolutely fine for now :)

we started weaning with both rhys and ffion at around 5 months and 3 weeks, at 7 months they went onto 2 'meals' (tastes really) and by 10 months we were ensuring that they were given things each day that they need.

if Oliver isnt showing signs of being overelly hungery just yet that fine, just make sure you have a variety of food available to him, like fruit for breakfast.. maybe pear for 2 days, then apple for 2 days. then for a second meal you could give him ricecakes and cream cheese with chunks of cucumber and then another meal you could try him with some grilled veg like carrot and sweet potato. its just about variation really rather than giving him 'meals'

rhys will still eat single things like ill make him egg on its own as he wont eat it with toast or ill do him a raw veg plate for his snack

hiya Kat,

for now i would say that you are fine with just giving him tastes of foods.. a bit of pear here and some pitta bread there is absolutely fine for now :)

we started weaning with both rhys and ffion at around 5 months and 3 weeks, at 7 months they went onto 2 'meals' (tastes really) and by 10 months we were ensuring that they were given things each day that they need.

if Oliver isnt showing signs of being overelly hungery just yet that fine, just make sure you have a variety of food available to him, like fruit for breakfast.. maybe pear for 2 days, then apple for 2 days. then for a second meal you could give him ricecakes and cream cheese with chunks of cucumber and then another meal you could try him with some grilled veg like carrot and sweet potato. its just about variation really rather than giving him 'meals'

rhys will still eat single things like ill make him egg on its own as he wont eat it with toast or ill do him a raw veg plate for his snack

Thanks hun, knew I could rely on you!!That's sort of what I'm doing really. He always has breakfast and has either lunch with us, or something mid afternoon. He's loving trying new things, so I'll just stick with what we're doing for now. It's interesting seeing him now, if we eat and don't offer him food! I always make sure I have a plate for him too. Hubby was giving him things off his plate, but I don't want to start down that route. He has his own meals and can share ours now and again - not the other way round.

yeah its really important not to make a habit of giving them food off your plate. rhys is really cheeky and will take stuff from my plate without asking and it drives me crazy!

This is why I'm nipping it in the bud now. It is my pet hate at the best of times!! I hope he grows up to respect other people and their belongings - and that includes food!!!

Hebe sits at the table with us and has a plate of anything suitable that we are eating - even though she's already had her tea. Tonight we had veggie chilli and rice and I gave her a plate of boiled rice to play with. She did eat a few grains but mainly she made a right bloody mess! :lol:

im glad Hebe had fun!! Ffion is starting to like chilli.. as long as its extremely mild and i put big chunks of caurgette and pepper in it for her to hold.

Alasdair and I have exactly the same thing, but I do think about him before me when I'm planning the meal if that makes sense. Makes me eat a hell of a lot more healthy. I used to skip at least 2 meals a day, now I only skip 1!

Right you lot, how's it going? Oliver is doing well. Discovered he only really wants toast for breakfast. We can put whatever we want on it, but it has to be toast! Still working our way through the veggies and haven't found anythign he doesn't like yet. He definitely prefers pear over apple and loves savoury falpjacks!!
Still not onto proper meals yet, but he knows what food is now and shoves it straight into his mouth as soon as he sees it!!

thats great Kat, Ffion is doing really well she had an omlette this morning for the first time, i just cut it into large chunks and she dug right in!

Oooooo Omlette! Did she love it Tezzy?? Can I give Hebe omlette yet??

x

theres lots of different recommendations regarding eggs.. and they all contradict themselves!!

ive gave rhys eggs from 6 months but ffion only had it for the first time today.. no reason why we didnt give them her sooner.. we just dont really eat a lot of eggs!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"