BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

It does get easier I promise. I've uploaded a couple of videos on FB of Tristan eating, he will have been BLW 2 weeks tomorrow :)

I love the vids of Tristan, he is so adorable too. It has given me more confidence watching these too. I tried some toast again for breakfast today and she was great, she was really concentrating on chewing the bread this time so I can see she is learning!

Morning everyone! Dillon has been showing all the signs and playing with fruit and veg for a couple of weeks now - which has really brought his hand-mouth coordination on, it's amazing - and the HV has said he's a few days off 24 weeks now, so to crack on. She's almost as excited as I am about the BLW and is a huge advocate.

Anywho, hubby and I went out for lunch at Strada yesterday. I took a cool bag with lovingly-prepared sticks of yellow pepper, cheese, pear and pitta. He zthrew a couple of bits on the floor (we put a mat under his high chair!) and decided he fancied daddy's fish stew instead :dohh: so he was sucking the sauce off daddy's fingers.

He then had crumpet for tea and seems to prefer things he can rip up to boring sticks of veg :rofl:

https://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m602/tulip1uk/Dillon%205%20months/1f4dfda8.jpg

Love him! So excited to see him discovering food :cloud9:

laineys first blw meal!
https://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/227712_10150168443781198_509311197_7195120_2670791_n.jpg
https://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225482_10150168443861198_509311197_7195121_5815024_n.jpg
https://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/225467_10150168443976198_509311197_7195124_2256201_n.jpg
https://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/224037_10150168444246198_509311197_7195129_6161152_n.jpg

SHE WAS V.GOOD! cant wait to try more xxxx

After not having much luck with TW so far (offered for a week then stopped and tried again today but LO hates it!) I'm just wondering if it might be an idea to try BLW instead.

Have absoutely no idea what to do first though - any tips? Steamed carrot sticks maybe? What else is a good starter food? And how well steamed do you do them (ie: choking v falling to mush??).

And how do you serve it? Sam is 6 months next week but not sitting up himself yet so not fully comfortable in highchair (although secure enough). He's not keen on his bumbo.

Sorry, i'm sure all been asked a million times in the 400+ pages of this thread!

Theres this thread that you may get more help - https://www.babyandbump.com/weaning-nutrition/119046-blw-baby-led-weaning-support-thread-419.html

We started Tristan on things like steamed vegetable sticks, organix carrot sticks etc. Once he hit 6 months we started adding toast in etc and now he just haves what we have.

Tulip D looks like he is enjoying that!! :) Tristan loves crumpets with pureed pear!

Did anyone start a little early? Lyra's 21 weeks now and can sit well with support, very straight in her high chair and bumbo. I've let her lick the odd fruit or veggie and now if she is sat on my knee while eating she launches herself at my food :dohh: Do you think I could start a little early? Or should I just be patient and wait another 3 weeks? xxx

We started a little early but obviously things that they are allowed eg not gluten, wheat etc.

There is no harm in offering her fruit and veg now :)

No, just because she hasn't put something in her mouth herself, or if she has, just because she hasn't swallowed it all does not mean I will mash it, blend it, puree it, mush it a bit with a fork, *insert applicable mashing device here* and feed it to her with a spoon.

End of. :dohh:

Rant over :)

No, just because she hasn't put something in her mouth herself, or if she has, just because she hasn't swallowed it all does not mean I will mash it, blend it, puree it, mush it a bit with a fork, *insert applicable mashing device here* and feed it to her with a spoon.

But if she could pick up things, put them in her mouth and chew them would you start a little early?

I'm not going to mush things, I want her to discover things herself, but I think she might be able to have a good chomp on a carrot stick or broccoli floret :winkwink: xx

This REALLY gets on my tits.

:growlmad:

But if she could pick up things, put them in her mouth and chew them would you start a little early?

I'm not going to mush things, I want her to discover things herself, but I think she might be able to have a good chomp on a carrot stick or broccoli floret :winkwink: xx

Yes and no. Haha. I started her with veg 12 days before 6 months. However, I have intolerances so I didn't want to introduce things too early. She's 7 months next week and only today had gluten, and only a few days ago had lactose based products. If I didn't have those considerations then I would have started when she started wanting our food and being able to put it in her mouth, so probably 2 or 3 weeks before that.

Also, just because she could and would put things in her mouth, doesn't mean she'll swallow them. That didn't happen for about 2 weeks. Now there is no stopping her. If she wants something, it'll get in, and swallowed. If she doesn't want it, she won't swallow, or she won't put it in her mouth. I let her decide.

Yes and no. Haha. I started her with veg 12 days before 6 months. However, I have intolerances so I didn't want to introduce things too early. She's 7 months next week and only today had gluten, and only a few days ago had lactose based products. If I didn't have those considerations then I would have started when she started wanting our food and being able to put it in her mouth, so probably 2 or 3 weeks before that.

Also, just because she could and would put things in her mouth, doesn't mean she'll swallow them. That didn't happen for about 2 weeks. Now there is no stopping her. If she wants something, it'll get in, and swallowed. If she doesn't want it, she won't swallow, or she won't put it in her mouth. I let her decide.

I read it was normal for them not to swallow things at first anyway, so by the time she is swallowing stuff she will probably be a week or 2 away from 6 months. We have no allergies in the family.

I cant sit her on my knee while I eat any more because she is trying to get my food! The other day while I wasnt paying attention she had grabbed a baby carrot off my plate and stuck it in her mouth :dohh:

Personally if she's sat upright and grabs food herself and can pick it up I can't see there is any harm I'm letting her have a suck on a few things as long as your specific on what she has. At the end of the day that's what BLW is, letting the child decide! I wouldn't put any pressure on it just let her grab a few things if she wants to!

Thanks girls, we went for it today and offered her a piece of broccoli and a piece of pineapple, she dropped them a lot but she did enjoy having a nibble. :) xx

Argh I've already had a 'watch she doesnt choke' lecture after posting a picture of her eating broccoli on facebook :dohh: :growlmad:

^^ Seconded!
I'm following your blog Pixxie, i really should start updating D's again...

I saw that I had a follower and got all excited :haha:

Argh I've already had a 'watch she doesnt choke' lecture after posting a picture of her eating broccoli on facebook :dohh: :growlmad:
:dohh: Just point out she is actually less likely to choke than if u were feeding puree!

My LO hasnt even gagged! Been BLW for nearly 4 weeks now! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->