BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Can I ask a stupid question? I know this question has been asked a million times, but I'm really needing some reassurance.
I'm doing TW right now and I really like it. I make all her food myself and she's loved everything I've given her so far. But I want to introduce finger foods - so I guess kind of do a mix of TW and BLW (even though I know that doesn't really exist, but hopefully you know what I mean). I almost gave her a piece of banana today, but I got sooo scared of her choking. She's not going to choke, right? She'll gag, but not choke? I really want to do this, but I can't seem to get over the fear! Did any of you feel like that before you started?

Hello :flower: Jayden started on food at 5months (TW spoonfeeds) by 6 months he could pick up food and his hand/mouth/eye co-ordination was pretty good. I started with soft things like banana, soft carrots etc and it went well. He is 8 months now and so far only gagged twice! And yes they usually just gag, babies gag reflex is much closer than an adults, so food is less likely to get stuck and if too much gets pushed towards the back of the throat they gag and it comes out (nice eh!) xxx

Thanks! I am debating switching to BLW completely, but I'm not totally sold on it yet. I like TW, but I really want to give her a chunk of banana or something and see how she does with it. I've given her pre loaded spoons of puree and she's gotten it into her mouth without any real issues, so I think she might enjoy feeding herself. But I'm scared! :)

Do it! You will be amazed how well they do with it. At 6 months old they are perfectly capable. x

So I did it! I gave her banana. At first she looked at me as if to say "what am I supposed to do with this?" but then she shoved it in her mouth. She actually bit off some big chunks, but then promptly spit them out. Is that normal? I think she ate a little bit of it, but most of it ended up on her clothes!

Yes its normal, anything she is unable to manage she will spit out. She will learn to chew first, then move safe amounts to the back of her tongue before swallowing.

I love BLW. I think its fantastic!!

Hi guys can I just ask did anyone let baby taste foods before you started BLW? As in let them have a lick of bits of your food? xx

Stalking this thread again...won't b long before we start weaning. He stole some tortillas wrap last night. Lol

It's not long ago I last did it but I feel like I've forgotten everything. He'll b five months this weekend. Did anyone start blw before 6 months? If so when?

Yes me, we started TW at 17 weeks and gradually added finger foods in from about 5 months, fruit, veg etc. We started BLW properly on Thursday so a few days before 6 months.

Hi guys can I just ask did anyone let baby taste foods before you started BLW? As in let them have a lick of bits of your food? xx

Yes! But very little (he had reflux so a tsp of banana each day). Transitioned to BLW no problem.

Yes me, we started TW at 17 weeks and gradually added finger foods in from about 5 months, fruit, veg etc. We started BLW properly on Thursday so a few days before 6 months.

Thanks. Im thinking of gradually letting him play with finger foods in the next week or so but I'm not sure. Hes feeding more and i dunno if it's a growth spurt or not. Plus he has ezcama so wondering if i should wait?! Argh too many questions

Right girls iv come to pick your brains, Id like to do BLW with Niamh but she was born 5 weeks early. Every thing iv read says not to do BLW with prem babys but she isent that far behind in her delelopment only a week or two which is considerd with in normal limits.

Im unsure as to wether to just start BLW or start TW at 6 months with more textured mush and to then to just introduce finger food at 6 months adjusted?

^^^ We were in the same situation. We did BLW and started at 6months actual age. She took to it fine and we hit no problems with it. She was developmentally just a wee bitty behind at that point and she just took to it at her own pace. She did have excellent head control and good hand/ mouth co-ordination though. Personally it was the best way to wean her as we were not sure whether to wean a bit later but BLW meant she just naturally dropped milk feeds.

Thanks. Im thinking of gradually letting him play with finger foods in the next week or so but I'm not sure. Hes feeding more and i dunno if it's a growth spurt or not. Plus he has ezcama so wondering if i should wait?! Argh too many questions

Only you can decide Hun :hugs:

im kinda lost in what to finger feed her she can do it very well for her age but i still feed her more i dont make its puree anymore as she can chew.

she is 5 and a half months can she have sandwichs toast and stuff like that.

We started BLW about a week and a half ago, we had tried purees but she wasnt too interested and wanted to handle the food herself so we researched BLW and it made sense so we've been offering finger foods which she really enjoys.

However the last couple of days she has been getting really excited when we offer her food and it appears that she is putting far too much food in her mouth, which in turn she ends up gagging or choking (a couple of times its been silent so I guess this is choking??) then vomiting...

Is this just a phase they go through to learn not to force all of it in their mouth? I've been quite laidback about BLW so far but watching her do this is a little unsettling to say the least lol x

I think it's a phase, Tristan did it a few times in the beginning and vomited too. He rarely does it now all though he does carry on cramming food in even if he has a mouthful already, he just spits out what he can't manage.

Thanks, she has been a little better today but maybe because I've stayed with easier foods today like fruit & veg, it's all my nerves could handle today lol. I just keep telling myself it will get easier x

It does get easier I promise. I've uploaded a couple of videos on FB of Tristan eating, he will have been BLW 2 weeks tomorrow :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->