BLW help...again!!

fantastica

Mum.
Reaction score
Sorry to post again! I'm just having some trouble getting my head around this...I know I was advised to go get a book...but can't find one anywere where I live!!! So have had to order...just need some advice for the time being!

Ok...well no-one is supportive at all of BLW, keep saying he'll choke..now i'm paranoid. So..i'm not sure if I've gone and ruined it :S

We were having salad for dinner tonight (my parents and grandparents here) and he looked interested so I gave him a stick of pepper to play with...he usually has a banana and does fine...they were critical so thought I'd show them....BUT he took the tiniest piece off and then started to 'choke' he couldn't really breath or anything...and then suddenly vomited and a tiny bit of pepper came out...oops. I'm not sure if he really was choking, but it frightened me! So there goes me proving everyone wrong. Now i'm petridied it'll happen again!

Was I wrong to give him a pepper stick? Should I have cooked it or something frist? :shrug: Sorry i'm so stupid!

Although in fairness...he also did this with mashed potato..no lumps!

I'm just so lost...I know there's hundreds of threads on this...but is there anyone who could just give me a couple of ideas to get me started? This weaning thing is so stressful...how do I know if he's had enough? How much should he be eating?

Thanks! x

Ok...just googled..and I was probably quite silly with the raw food :( but he didn't really bite off too much anyway :S...so confused!!!!!

Aww hun! :hugs:

It's hard when everyone around you is determined to "prove" you wrong, but your LO done exactly the right thing; he cleared the food himself. If he couldn't breathe and turned blue, then yeah, he's choking but any kind of noise/gagging/coughing/being sick is all perfectly fine and part and parcel of it! All babies will do this at some stage, whether BLW or when first introducing finger foods to a baby used to puree so please don't worry about that.

The gagging will eventually ease as he learns to control the food better and he can only do that by being given opportunity to do so. You done the right thing by letting him clear it himself - the worse thing anyone can do is "jump in" because they think he's choking.. He's quite capable of clearing it himself as he showed you. Violet has choked once since we started BLW (she wasn't making any noises and it was 'different' to her gagging) but she still managed to clear it by time I'd even got her out of her highchair. It's all part of the learning process for them.

Pepper sticks are great things to give, and no you don't need to cook them first. Cucumber sticks, carrot sticks (raw or cooked), roasted parsnips, roast potatoes, banana, apple pieces, pear, brocoli, cauliflower.. There are so many other options you could try but they are just some examples.

Try not to worry about how much he is eating at the moment. For a good few weeks, it's all about playing and learning. You'll probably find it's a couple of weeks before he even starts swallowing instead of spitting the majority out.

Every baby has their own cues as to when they've had enough. I think some common signs are clearing their tray of all the food, banging on the tray, crying or just losing complete interest. You'll learn his cues.

I know it's a lot easier said than done, but honestly, relax!! It can be so much fun if you just go with the flow and follow LOs lead.

Take it slowly and definately give that book a read once you get it - I'm sure it'll put so many worries you have to rest.

In the meantime, there's a great sticky at the top if you need support regarding anything to do with BLW.

Enjoy it hun, it's so rewarding and so much fun if you can learn to relax a little x

^^Well said!

Just wanted to let you know that I have the same problem. Everyone around me thinks I'm a complete nutter for doing BLW and are convinced that LO will choke. They also think I am crazy for being willing to offer him adult type meals from 6 months on. (We aren't there yet).

I just have to stick to it and remind myself he is my baby and I can do what I feel is best for him. So far it is going much much better this way.

I had to give him pureed prunes do to a constipation problem a couple of days ago -- I must say that even though he took it like a champ, he was completely frustrated as he is used to being able to feed himself. I think he already takes great joy in doing for himself. Purees just don't allow that.

It is all down to what works for you! Gagging and retching are common, so if you want to keep trying BLW, then go for it!

^^^ Agreed, nothing to add except to say come join us in the sticky thread and ask as many questions as you like! :thumbup:

Thank you everyone :)

Think i'm feeling a bit better about the whole 'choking' thing...and now i've got OH on board too everything is a bit easier...meal times are definitely a lot more fun for all of us!

managed to get the book in the end...and it's well worth it! Just trying to convince others it wont actually harm him!

Remember you don't have to convince anyone! This is your baby and your parenting choices to make. :) Besides, they will see it works just fine in time... and they will likely even be impressed by it after a couple of months! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->