BLW- would you give wraps?

wtbmummy

Reaction score
Ds has been tw since 4mo but can also feed himself toast, sweet potato chips and from the spoon (if I load it) Now hes 6mo I want to purely do blw at lunchtime and continue tw for breakfast and dinner (ds doesnt currently have lunch)
So I made the whole family lovely roast pepper wraps with avacado and of course cut ds's into small pieces.
He loved it and was licking off the avacado from the wrap and eating the peppers. But he then managed to get off a piece of the wrap and very almost choked badly on it. I got it out of his mouth for him as he didnt seem to be able to bring the tiny pieceback out. His eyes were streaming but he smiled and carried on.

I'm now thinking I should stick with bread but I have seen him swallow larger pieces than he had in his mouth today.
Also stupid question but hopefully some blw mummies will know.... Did ds choke or was he just gaging as when his mouth was open I could quiet clearly see the piece of wrap at the back of his tounge so not sure if he was gaging or he's coughed which made it come back out :shrug:
Thanks for any advice/help ladies

My two haven't never really taken to.wraps I think.itbwas for them to chew even now they are not too fussed. I would lathing a pice didn't get chewed and so the natural gag reflex bought it back up.

Sophie isn't that much into them, she finds them hard to bite even at 20 months.

Has he been eating bread for a while? It's not meant to be eaten before 6 months due to the gluten.

Think I will stay away from them for now then. Thanks ladies :)
He has had a tiny bit of my toast 3-4times. Not had toast daily or anything :shock:
But when he has had a piece he has been able to eat it no problems in choking or gaging. Just eats it.

I am only now going to start introducing lunch and doing blw only for lunch. It wont even be everyday for the time being, just if we are home and hes hungry.
:thumbup:

From what you describe, that was just gagging, which is exactly what you'd expect him to do. Wraps are perfectly fine if he's able to chew them. They are a bit tougher than bread, so he might need more teeth than he has to chew them as they would be hard to gum. But I certainly wouldn't avoid offering them. Just see how he continues to do and if he can chew them fine, then yes, I'd keep offering them. If he's just doing a lot of chewing and not really getting anywhere, might be easier for him to stick with bread until he gets his molars and can chew tougher things. One suggestion though would be to keep things in stick sized shapes as he's starting finger foods. As you are combining finger foods with TW, he's not used to chewing things and you want to give him something he can hold onto while he chews in (think like a roasted carrot stick shape or toast finger or a banana cut in 1/3 pieces lengthwise). This way he'll have more control over what he's eating and won't have to put the whole thing in his mouth right away, but can bite off chunks that are the right size. As he gets more skilled with finger foods, you can offer smaller pieces and he'll be able to pop the whole thing in his mouth and eat them.

Sounds like he was gagging, not choking.

Learn the difference and never put your fingers in his mouth unless he's definitely choking.

My DD has eaten wraps plenty since we started BLW at 6 months and we had loads if gagging but never any choking.

Also, spoon feeding will damage his ability to chew/swallow etc so you'd be better to stop that altogether until he is more confident eating for himself.

Also, spoon feeding will damage his ability to chew/swallow etc so you'd be better to stop that altogether until he is more confident eating for himself.

What rubbish!

I did a mix of self feeding and spoon feeding. LO has never had an issue with chewing or swallowing.

OP - like others have said wraps are tough. My LO has tried them but even with a few teeth at 11 months he can't really manage them.

None of my two have ever done that well with bread in any form while weaning. I still give bread, toast and wraps to dd but she will gag on it at least once while eating. It sounds like he gagged to me. Chocking is completely silent and his lips would quickly go blue.

I also agree its rubbish that spoon feeding effects their ability to chew and swallow. Babies were tw for generations and ive never met an adult who couldnt chew. Im doing mostly blw but we do spoon feed breakfast and my daughter is no better or worse at chewing and swalowing then some of my friends children the same age who have been fully tw. My son was also tw and has always been an amazing eater, in fact much better than dd at the same age.

Mine loves wraps and can happily chew on them (she does have teeth though so might make a difference) we do mixed feeding too and i don't agree on the advice on no spoons, just do what works for you and baby!

Learn the difference and never put your fingers in his mouth unless he's definitely choking.

My DD has eaten wraps plenty since we started BLW at 6 months and we had loads if gagging but never any choking.

That has to be the most ridiculous thing I've read in a long time. What do you even mean it will "damage his ability to swallow"?

Sounds like gagging not choking. Micah has always been a big fan of wraps since we started weaning (blw) at 6 months. I can't remember how many teeth he had at that point though.

Most ridiculous post i have seen. Has eating from cutlery since being a baby up until now ruined your ability to chew and swallow? I think not.

Anyway, Isabella struggles to eat the store bought wraps so i started making them myself so they are a little softer and more moist. She manages them much better. I sometimes put a little spreadable cheese on so its easier for her to eat. She was probably just gagging so dont worry too much. xxx

We have offered wraps both times when BLW from 6 months with no problems. Dd3 didn't have any teeth until she turned 9.5 months and had no problems apart from maybe a one off gag here or there, but that was the same with any food offered.

I would say what your LO was doing was most likely gagging and was probablly bringing it up himself, even when spoon feeding my eldest two they would gag even on mush, probablly more than the youngest two ever did/do tbh.

We put all the wrap ingredients loose on the tray, including shredded pieces of wrap... Sort of a wrap salad lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->