Body Privacy.

CaptainMummy

Reaction score
Recently, Paige doesnt want anyone (including OH) to see her do the toilet apart from me. She still uses her potty downstairs sometimes and if Oh is there, she tells him to go in the kitchen (potty is in the living room.)
Also, she says things like 'i dont want gran seeing my bum' (if we are getting changed to go to her grans) and she panics if she hears someone coming if she has a bare bum.

Is this normal at this age?

2 things there

Firstly actually using the toilet, I wouldn't want to be watched either so I think that's really quite normal

Second one actually being naked etc my kids have never cared, Leah decided when she wanted privacy that way and it was about 6 she started to get dressed in her room but saying that she is 12 now and will happily walk about the house in her bra lol but on the other hand they have never been naked out with our immediate family of me, dh and their brother/sister

Thank you for posting this, my daughter has become exactly the same! Its been going on for a few months now but I am the only one allowed to take her to the toilet or get her undressed etc. If she is out with dh and she has no other choice she will let him take her but once in the cubicle she tells him to face the door, lol! If we're visiting mil/fil she will let mil take her occasionally but once again if its fil looking after her then she tells him to turn away. It mostly men that she is most uncomfortable with and I have no idea where its come from! I'll be interested to hear others experiences x

I just want to say, im not sure if its normal or not - my daughter wasnt that aware at that age.

But recently ive just started teaching privacy to Amelia.
Closing the door to use the toilet, getting dressed in 'her' room, so not mine or the living room, not taking her clothes off/pulling them up in front of anyone other than me and OH.
I also make sure she doesnt come into the bathroom with me when im toileting.
im making her aware of appropriate and inappropriate behavior, taking her pants off and running around naked at a party isnt appropriate for example.
but having a bath and being naked for that is ok. but coming in while im showering just to be nosey isnt ok.

- hopefully you get it? its a long winded thing, but dont let her be ashamed of weeing in front of daddy or yourself, id consider saying, if you want privacy to use the big toilet? that might wean her off the potty too. win win?

has someone told her its wrong? or dirty? to use a toilet or be naked in front of people because thats the wrong thing to tell a child (not saying you have, maybe someone else has? nursery maybe?)

saying all this and amelias just come in, pulled her trousers down and grabbed her bottom saying, ''i need a wee weeeeeee'' *giggle* :dohh:

I don't know if it's normal or not but personally I've never met a 2 year old who was body shy yet? Has anything happened that maybe has made her feel that way? Maybe someone has said something or made her feel embarrassed?

We in our house don't have this issue , my son walks into the bathroom when I'm in the shower or going to the bathroom and he is 4 and still doesn't think anything of changing or going to the bathroom in front of me or anyone else ,

Tom always tells us to go away if he's doing a poo but with wees sometimes he does but most times he's not bothered. He is happy to run around naked at home but gets funny now about people seeing his tummy at swimming or changing for PE at preschool.

I actually don't see the problem with him still getting dressed in the lounge, running round naked at home or wandering in to see what I'm up to in the shower....I'm sure he'll draw the boundaries on these things when he's ready rather than me push adult concepts of privacy on him when he's still so little.

I was like this. I remember my mum talking to another mum whose little girl had worms and had to be checked over. I physically felt sick for weeks at the thought of also getting worms and having to have a doctor see my bum. Which is totally weird as at the same time I'd also run around naked.

Niamh really isn't bothered but me and OH are not body shy around each other, she regularly goes in the bath or shower with us. I want her to grow up knowing what a normal body looks like and not just the perfectly sculpted air brushed ones you see on TV. Has some one said something to her about being naked in front of others? Two is very young to have issues about nudity.

My middle DD has always had delicate sensibilities. She wouldn't have been okay using a potty in the living room at any age. I think she was fine with OH dressing her and she would bathe with her sister, but she never wandered around partially dressed the way my other kids do/did. Its just her way. They've all been raised in the same environment with the same attitudes about bodies and nudity. My DS takes his pants off at every opportunity-- and then some-- and she won't undress in front of anyone including me.

At 2 she would also instruct complete strangers to button their shirts all the way or zip their cardigans. :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->