Boo for a middle name?

You're not required to put it on your passport. It's not lying or hiding anything, it's just not required. And what documents have to match? You have your passport and that's it - they don't compare it to anything (like a birth certificate or anything).

Canada is clearly less picky regarding middle names.

You're not required to put it on your passport. It's not lying or hiding anything, it's just not required. And what documents have to match? You have your passport and that's it - they don't compare it to anything (like a birth certificate or anything).

Canada is clearly less picky regarding middle names.

but a passport isn't Canadian its INTERNATIONAL, and most countries do have laws on this :wacko:

I agree its a middle name, my middle name is Nancy and I HATE it id much prefer Boo lol, but point is as much as I hate it its not a big part of my life, its on my passport and whatever other documents but so what? to be honest no matter what name you give your child theres a chance they could absolutely hate it when theyre older..

to be honest no matter what name you give your child theres a chance they could absolutely hate it when theyre older..

Of course there's a chance with any name, but they're obviously far more likely to hate Boo than something like Sarah or Jane. I don't particularly like "plain" names either but Boo can clearly be considered ridiculous and cause trouble for the person. Why risk that, for your own daughter?

I have been married before and said my middle name in the vows. I use it relatively often (often enough that it'd fill me with dread if my middle name was Boo!) My middle name is quite unusual and has had comments but at least it means something and sounds like a name.

Wow, what a ruckus you've caused over such a tiny name ;) here's what I think. I think if you and DH love it, then use it. People are gonna talk about any name you choose, because people have opinions and they just LOVE to express them. Boo is cute and sweet. Is it a"proper" name? Nope, but who cares. And yes, it'll be on her documents, and honestly, who really pays much mind to them besides people checking IDs? A bouncer is NOT going to deny access because of a middle name; if anything, she'll probably get a free drink, lol. As for CVs, it's fully appropriate to use just a middle initial if she so chose. It's cute, it's unique and chances are she'll embrace it more than say other typical middle names.

I have to weigh in on the "nay" side as well. It's cute as a nickname, but since my middle name is used quite a bit (live in the US) I would be really reluctant to tell people my middle name was Boo. Even though I love different and adventurous names, this one is pretty odd, in my opinion. It would be a "what were they thinking?" moment in my mind.

But then again, I'm a big believer of using a name if you love it. We can't tell what your LO's personality will be. Maybe she'll love it and embrace it, maybe she'll hate it, there's no way to tell with any name. If it has special significance then anything is okay. But keep in mind her adult life. Is this appropriate? I've had to discard a few loved names because of the potential of (huge) bullying. It's up to you, of course! It's cute, but that's it...very cute.

As for CVs, it's fully appropriate to use just a middle initial if she so chose. It's cute, it's unique and chances are she'll embrace it more than say other typical middle names.

So then they say "what does the B stand for?"

Seriously, why use it if you're already having to think of ways she could cover it up?

but a passport isn't Canadian its INTERNATIONAL, and most countries do have laws on this :wacko:

No shit, Sherlock. However, whenever I have travelled abroad, I've only used my passport - I've never carried any other documents for them to *compare* it to and my passport doesn't have my middle name on it. It's never been a problem. So, :wacko: to you too.

I don't particularly like "plain" names either but Boo can clearly be considered ridiculous and cause trouble for the person. Why risk that, for your own daughter?

I know a girl who has the middle name of Marie and she HATES it and wishes her parents had been a little more original. How many women have the middle name of Marie, Rose, May, Lynn, Jane, Anne, etc? Sometimes it's nice to be a little different.

OP, weigh the pros and cons but if you guys honestly love it, then go for it. People get mocked for a lot less than a middle name. :flower:

I know a girl who has the middle name of Marie and she HATES it and wishes her parents had been a little more original.

My response still stands. It's far more likely that she'll have strong feelings about Boo than about any of those names. Just look at this thread!

Also, there is a middle ground! There are hundreds of unique names that people wouldn't find ridiculous.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like strapping a weight to the kid until they're old enough to get rid of it.

Domt forget that on a kids level it rhymes with poo and in the playground that could get quite mean.

Documents aside, I have never heard a person saying their full names during their wedding.

I think people are making too much of a big deal out of it. It's a middle name, they hardly affect your day to day life.

I had too, when I was getting married, so did my Husband. And every wedding I've ever been too, the bride and groom had to say their full names.

What country are you from? I have genuinely never heard a bride and groom say their middle names, I don't even know the majority of my friends middle names. I know on wedding invitations sometimes middle names are used but I've never heard them in vows.

I think in the UK it is part of the wedding rules, I'd never really thought about it before this thread!!

I agree, whats cute on baby is not cute on a 45 year old executive. No, your middle name tends to only come about use when you want it, but I think maybe a nickname would be best..

You asked and we told, but in the end its your decision :)

Also when picking a middle name try not to use one that can also be a surname :blush:. I married a Mr Lee, now my full name is Kelly Leigh Lee :haha:

I say no... I think it's super cute as a nickname, but not a legal middle name.

We call my son Bubba, or Bubs, but I would never have considered name him Daniel Bubba.

And as far as middle names appearing on legal docs, when we applied for our home loan and they did our background and credit checks, they pulled every name I had ever been known as:

Emily Rae C****
Emily R. C****
Emily C****
Emily Rae B******
Emily R. B******
Emily B******

It is printed on my passport, my driver's license, all my work authorization docs, my home owner's documents, my marriage docs, my college degree, my auto/home/life insurance, my social security card, my medical and dental insurance docs, my bank records, my son's birth cert, ... I know it's not universal, but mine pops up on a fairly regular basis. BUT, no, I didn't have to say it in my wedding vows. "I, Emily C****, take so-and-so...."

to be honest no matter what name you give your child theres a chance they could absolutely hate it when theyre older..

Of course there's a chance with any name, but they're obviously far more likely to hate Boo than something like Sarah or Jane. I don't particularly like "plain" names either but Boo can clearly be considered ridiculous and cause trouble for the person. Why risk that, for your own daughter?

I have been married before and said my middle name in the vows. I use it relatively often (often enough that it'd fill me with dread if my middle name was Boo!) My middle name is quite unusual and has had comments but at least it means something and sounds like a name.

But it really depends on the person..Id prefer Boo as a middle name to a plain name like Sarah or Jane..Im sure Im not the only person..To be honest I had Poppy picked out as a first name for a little girl and I got the exact same reaction that it was silly and she wouldnt be taken seriously when she was older..As I already said we thought Boo was cute but decided against it just incase it caused problems, but its up to the OP what she does at the end of the day and I thin kthere are much worse middle names than Boo

Keep in mind there are a million other unique middle names to choose from that aren't Boo. Just because some suggest not to use it doesn't mean the only options left are Marie, Anne, Sarah or Jane.

No shit, Sherlock. However, whenever I have travelled abroad, I've only used my passport - I've never carried any other documents for them to *compare* it to and my passport doesn't have my middle name on it. It's never been a problem. So, :wacko: to you too.

I don't particularly like "plain" names either but Boo can clearly be considered ridiculous and cause trouble for the person. Why risk that, for your own daughter?

I know a girl who has the middle name of Marie and she HATES it and wishes her parents had been a little more original. How many women have the middle name of Marie, Rose, May, Lynn, Jane, Anne, etc? Sometimes it's nice to be a little different.

OP, weigh the pros and cons but if you guys honestly love it, then go for it. People get mocked for a lot less than a middle name. :flower:

your arguing against a thread full of people telling you in most countries the middle name is commonly used, your just starting to look silly now it may not be common where YOU live but in most places it is

and by the way I do know of people refused access to the country due to a missing name or only a middle initial on the passport - it happens quite a lot, why risk it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->