Booking appointment Bloods

jkbmah

Preggers with #2
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering. I had my booking apt last week and they took 3 x vials of blood to test for things like sickle-cell, HIV etc. Do they also test for pregnancy stuff, like HCG levels? ?Do they re-check that you are indeed pregnant?

I know this may seem odd but otherwise I could just be making it all up as all Ive had is a positive HPT, nothing has been confirmed by the doctors/midwife yet Ive had a hours appointment and scans are all booked in.

I did a urine sample as well but I think that was to check sugars?

I'm interested in this too - I don't think they even check you're pregnant until your 12 week scan!!

In the UK they do an STI test which includes HIV. Just looking at my notes and they test for the following:
Blood group and count
Antibodies
Rubella
Syphilis
Hep b
Electrophoresis (no idea what this is)
HIV

(sorry re read you knew all of the above!)
The urine test is also sent away and I assume this will be tested again for pregnancy. Hcg levels are not tested. In all honesty I think there is one, maybe two sticks that tell the person taking the urine test sugars, blood, protein etc. and not separate tests, in this I think there is also pregnancy.

The only reason I say that is because I went in to an out of hours drs at the weekend for cramps and bleeding, and I did a sample to test for uti, and I was give a piece of paper 2 mins later to hand to the dr with all the above ticked as they were tested for, including positive pregnancy.

I always wondered this too. Doesn't it seem a bit crazy that you could just be making it up??! My booking appt is 4 days before my 1st scan so doubt they will even have the results back!

They also take bloods that they use alongside your 12 week scan to test for Downs. Are you having the nuchal test where they measure the fluid at the back of babies neck? If so, that blood will also be used for this x

Sorry, that wasn't what you were asking! If always wondered that too, but I don't think they do.

Last time I was pregnant, the MW said that they don't confirm your pregnancy as in they don't do a test at the doctor's any more. If you've done a pregnancy test then that's good enough for them. Of course you could be making it all up and my MW said that that had happened but very rarely. I guess there is no point as you would be found out eventually.

Nah they dont test to confirm pregnancy by blood/urine at this stage. As long as you have tested and tell them it was positive they believe you x

I had 9 vials of blood taken this morning at 7+5. >< Sleepy, to say the least.

In Aus - I had 4 vials taken after HPT x2 BFP, checked all viruses etc mentionned by pp. After 3days had pregnancy confirmation etc, then booked scan to date bub. :flower:

I've thought about this too! What if I've dreamed my bfp?! I'd like someone who doesn't know me to confirm it then I know it's real... Hehe.

I have nothing useful to say, except FOUR VIALS?! Omg! I'm not good with blood tests!

X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->