Booking appointment - Can I refuse blood tests?

From what I recall the blood tests are tests for things like STDs, Rubella immunity, RH factor, anemia, and determine your blood type. So I haven't decided yet if I'm going to get it or not. I had my Rubella vaccine 5 years ago. I'm not anemic. I don' thave STDs my blood type is on file. I'm just not sure on the RH factor if that needs to be tested every pregnancy or not.

Rh only matters if you have negative blood. If so, then prepare for extra shots! Got my first rh- shot in the butt. The second one comes somewhere in the 24 week range I believe. And as your blood type won't change, won't need to be tested with each pregnancy. If you have + blood you're good to go.

If you know what the tests would consist of, and they are things that you know are not of a concern (STDs, anemia, etc) I don't see the issue with politely opting out. I don't think your desire to not be stuck more times than necessary means you are not willing to do things for your baby. Of course, I would definitely defer to your doctor, first, on what would be the best option.

I use to have a terrible fear of needles, and then over the years I managed to get over it. Most techs and nurses have a hard time finding a good vein for me, so I end up helping, guiding, and watching the whole thing to make it less of a PITA for me. Unless the nurse/tech is really good I usually end up getting stuck about 2-3 times, and they dig the needle around in my arm before they hit a good vein.

:hugs: Thanks ladies. I talked it over with my lovely midwife and I have decided to get the blood drawn at a 10 week appointment. She agreed that it was all things I already had the answers to, so it's not strictly necessary, but it's best to be 100% sure. I'll get my partner to go with me :) Really liked my booking appointment, she was so reassuring and positive!

Im glad she was supportive x

Glad you decided to have it because while you're pregnant you have every right to make your own decisions but once your baby is born they have there own rights which includes being protected from the diseases they check for. Technically they can take legal action against you if they weren't able to check baby for those diseases as its in your babies best interests. I'm a midwife and have experienced paediatricians taking legal action :/ I'm in United Kingdom.

I refused them with my last baby. I have had the booking-in bloods done with each of my previous 4 pregnancies before hand.

My reasoning? In 2004, 2005, 2007 they missed something in my bloods that has always been there. I only found out in 2009 when I was pregnant with twins. Absolutely no way is any ultrasound 100% safe, nor these blood tests as accurate as they try to make out. IF and when I fall pregnant again I won't be having them.

It is my pregnancy, my baby and 100% my choice. Having previous bloods done they know my blood group and all the important stuff and that just doesn't change over time.

P.s the NHS hate Mothers who stick up for themselves and their rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->