• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Books for 4 year old

Smanderson

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some books for 4 year olds? I asked the same last year (for 3 year olds) and got some great recommendations which we have really enjoyed :flower:

At four we bought some reading books for school to practice at home. Julia Donaldson has some phonics books which they read at school so we read them at home too.

My son still at five loves the Julia Donaldson books (Gruffalo, Snail and the Whale).

Other good ones we have are: the book with bite, press here (love this one!) and we have some Spider-Man/super hero books which he loves too.

He basically loves being read to!

Holly loves The Jolly Postman, The Gruffalo, any Mr Men or Little Miss books, collections of fairy tales, Peace at Last, Can't You Sleep Little Bear, any of the Kipper books. We love reading :)

Agree with Julia Donaldson books (my 5 year old still loves them). We also brought my son a set of traditional tales - little red riding hood etc - when he was 4 and he's loved those. We also have "10 little dinosaurs" and "10 little pirates" which are a firm favourite

Julia Donaldson books are great, as are traditional tales. My DS also enjoys The Dinosaur That Pooped ... collection. Katie Morag are good books and often have moral tales tied in.

M&S do a great range of early and first readers.

I also started reading the Harry Potter books to my DS when he was about 4 and, although quite tricky, he did enjoy the thought of being read a 'grown up' book and loved the movies.
Roald Dahl books are another family favourite here for adults to read to children.

The Book People (online) are great for books and do a whole host of different fiction/non-ficition age ranges.

I may have replied last year - not sure. If it's to read to him then we've loved the 'How to Train Your Dragon' series (first got when Ds was three and have re-read a couple of times. Ds also loves the Percy Jackson series. For this Christmas I've picked up the books Simon Mayo has out (The Element Hunter), it looks as though it will be nice for me to read and is right up Ds's street.

Thanks ladies, love the recommendations we will slowly work our way through them thank you xx

How about Amelia Bedelia? This is a good age to start talking about double meanings and literal versus figurative language.

How about Amelia Bedelia? This is a good age to start talking about double meanings and literal versus figurative language.

Thank you I'll look into that, funnily enough we ran into this topic this week and I had absolutely no idea how to explain it :wacko:

Also holly loves the book 'We're Going On A Bear Hunt'. She has the book at school and at home she enjoys it that much :D

Jades favourite is the bear hunt one too. She also likes 'park after dark' x

Aww I remember that one from when I was little :cloud9:

Not so much a book to read but my boys love the Where is Wally books :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->