Born in the wild.

Hangin_On_AGS

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the trailer for this show? One couple says they are just trying for a home birth and they just happen to live in rural Alaska. I'm interested in what you ladies think about this idea? I'm all for an unassisted home birth heck that's what I'm shooting for, but that is in the comfort of my own home.. Not out in a dingy cabin or in the middle of leaves.

I have not seen the trailer, but personally I find being out in nature to be vary calming. If they really are out in the middle of no where, I could see it being an empowering experience. (Provided it's not too cold out or uncomfortable ground to stand on.)

Did you see the YouTube video with a women giving birth in a stream in the middle of a forest?

if they live in rural Alaska i recon this kind of environment IS their home so it is like any other couple aiming for an unassisted home birth.

I saw a little bit of the trailer, but my understanding (maybe I'm wrong) was that it was just like home birth outside. They seemed like they had midwives there, or there was someone assisting who was wearing gloves so I assumed she was the midwife. So it looked just like a home birth outside. I didn't see what the big deal was? I mean, obviously this is coming from someone who thinks home birth is just the normal thing to do, so I imagine for most people who didn't even realise that was possibe, it seems crazy. I had my daughter in the winter, so it was freezing even inside our house! But if I lived somewhere warm and we had privacy outside, birthing outside sounds great. I can see the appeal. But I think it was probably just way over-sensationalised, like everything else that Fox News and the Daily Mail pick up on.

Maybe I just caught a weirs part of the trailer cause the two couples I saw one was outside in a pile of leaves with just a tiny blanket and the other in what looked like a survival cabin. One did not have a midwife either.

Like I said I'm all about home birth and unassisted births, but there has been studies that most homes are safer than hospitals when it comes to germs. I would worry what the sanitary conditions of some of these places would be. Like the mountain stream mountain flowing water is some of the cleanest water so I could see doing that.

I haven't seen the trailer, but it sounds neat, whether or not they're UC or attended.

I have had 4 UCs, but they've all been inside. I'm not really an outside person...I like looking outside from my window. :laugh2: I also prefer to give birth in tiny spaces, like our itty bitty bathroom.

I read a book about traditional childbirth 4 or 5 years ago that talked a lot about practices in giving birth outside or in tents and things like that. One group of people would give birth over a mound of sand so that it would cushion the baby when it fell out and also absorb the blood and fluid, easy clean-up.

The MW suggested having my first birth outside. We had the birth in my parents home and they have a nice garden. I think she was thinking it was a good place for a birthing pool. I didn't have a pool and didnt fancy being outside for the birth because they have neighbours, somewhere more private it could be nice though. I did spend some of laour walking outside and it was nice.

Has anyone seen the trailer for this show? One couple says they are just trying for a home birth and they just happen to live in rural Alaska. I'm interested in what you ladies think about this idea? I'm all for an unassisted home birth heck that's what I'm shooting for, but that is in the comfort of my own home.. Not out in a dingy cabin or in the middle of leaves.

Hahaha no offense but I'm from Alaska. Now while I'll add most of the shows you will see on tv are a bunch of bull. When you are actually a native living in a village you don't really have a choice where you deliver, because when you go into labor your a boat or plane ride away from a hospital. (Most of the time) it's really just normal to them, having a baby in the hospital is taboo to some of them as well.

So I just watched the he first episode... And the trailer did it's job it made it look much more extreme than it is. Now that the actual episodes are playing with they show these parents are educated and have people with training around and are highly prepared... Good job at fooling me life time good job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->