Bottle advice 8 months

jkbmah

Preggers with #2
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm trying to swap my 8 month olds afternoon feed for a bottle. The only issue is that she will take max 2 oz then refuse it, yet if I offered her breast she would take more/a decent feed. I don't mind her having only a couple of ounces with this feed but I'm trying to start weaning her off boob one feed at a time, but can't really do this when she takes so little at once.

I also feed her to sleep at night and for her morning nap, she won't take a bottle under these circumstances but I'm worried as I switch feeds that she just won't have enough to drink/eat.

Is it just a case of persevering? I've tried sippy cups which she takes regular sips from but doesn't take much at once so straight to cups won't work for us.

Any tips appreciated.

Awh sad to see you've had no replies to this.

I don't have experience myself but just to share my fellow mum thoughts I would say that with solids and breastfeeding at other times, it is okay for her to only take a couple of ounces in the afternoon and it will help ease her into getting used to the bottle if you do it routinely every day :)
My little girl can go probably up to 6 hours in the afternoon without breastmilk if she has solids and I am not around, she is almost 8 months. It seems to be the time of day where she takes the least milk.

I recommend that you trust her, she will take what she needs and if she still wanted milk and the amount she could take from the bottle wasn't enough she would cry and communicate it to you.

One thought springs to mind, are you using a fast enough flow teat on the bottle? Maybe she gets tired of sucking if she is used to yummy let downs. I would try a faster teat just to see xx

Can I ask how you know she takes more than 2 ounces from your breasts? If she's starting to properly eat solids she may have self limited the volume of her milk intake (the average breastfed baby only takes about 3-4 ounces per feed I've heard - even when over 6 months and being quite big.)

Is she used to drinking from a bottle? Could she be taking air in too? I know older babies don't have as much trouble with wind and just burp themselves when they sit up and move around, but it could be making her feel prematurely full maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->