Bottles/ daycare

Jaymelynn

Reaction score
I go back to work in 2 weeks and need to buy more bottles for daycare. Should I buy 5 oz or 9 oz bottles? Do breastfed babies ever really take more then 5 oz a feeding? Using the kelly mom estimator lo takes 2.5-3 oz per feeding, but I do not know if it is accurate.

I would go with the 5oz. I think it's pretty rare for bf babies to take more than 5 oz per feed, 1oz per hour is about average. I would just have a talk with daycare/ provide literature about 'paced bottle feeding' and insist that they practice it with your lo because it's really easy for care providers who aren't paying attention to overfeed a bf baby.
The main reason I would go with the 5oz is to influence caregiver perception. If they get 5oz bottles and see themselves feeding a full/mostly full bottle, they're less likely to incorrectly perceive your lo as hungry when (s)he is actually full because they'll feel like they've fed the baby more than if they're feeding an empty-looking 9oz bottle with 3oz of milk in it. They'll wait for another hunger signal rather than just believing the child "must" still be hungry, especially if they're used to feeding large formula volumes.
The secondary reason is that sending 5oz bottles would make it more difficult for them to try to overfeed the baby to make them go longer between feeds to give themselves less work to do, especially if you're sending empty bottles and they're filling the bottles themselves.

My LO still takes 2 oz. at a time at 11 months! Definitely the 5 oz bottles.

I would go with the 5oz. I think it's pretty rare for bf babies to take more than 5 oz per feed, 1oz per hour is about average. I would just have a talk with daycare/ provide literature about 'paced bottle feeding' and insist that they practice it with your lo because it's really easy for care providers who aren't paying attention to overfeed a bf baby.
The main reason I would go with the 5oz is to influence caregiver perception. If they get 5oz bottles and see themselves feeding a full/mostly full bottle, they're less likely to incorrectly perceive your lo as hungry when (s)he is actually full because they'll feel like they've fed the baby more than if they're feeding an empty-looking 9oz bottle with 3oz of milk in it. They'll wait for another hunger signal rather than just believing the child "must" still be hungry, especially if they're used to feeding large formula volumes.
The secondary reason is that sending 5oz bottles would make it more difficult for them to try to overfeed the baby to make them go longer between feeds to give themselves less work to do, especially if you're sending empty bottles and they're filling the bottles themselves.

Oh that is a great point about the carer's perception! They currently have 2 other BF babies, but I printed out the pacing handout from LLL- thanks! I worry that my lo would keep drinking no matter how full he is because he is a big comfort nurser. But maybe daycare will be too exciting and he will find better things to do, lol.

Wow only 2 oz! How often does he eat? I think I am (almost) more nervous about the whole milk and pumping part then leaving lo, lol.

Oh one more question- level 1 or 2 nipples? I was thinking level 1 to slow him down.

Have you been doing practice bottles? If so, what nipple is he using now?
General rule for bf babies is to use the slowest flow possible so that they can better perceive fullness before overeating.
If you're not doing practice bottles, I would recommend doing some practice runs where dad feeds a non-bedtime bottle (because some babies are less/more particular about sleepy bottles than daytime bottles) before investing too much in any one bottle or nipple. Some babies can be very particular about the equipment, or bottle temperature, or how they're held when they're taking a bottle. Better to have that all figured out before you have to be gone for any length of time so you can let the daycare know and they're not starting from scratch figuring out how to get him to take his milk.

Wow only 2 oz! How often does he eat? I think I am (almost) more nervous about the whole milk and pumping part then leaving lo, lol.

Oh one more question- level 1 or 2 nipples? I was thinking level 1 to slow him down.

he takes 8 oz during my 10 hr work day, I don't know how they space but they do paced bottle feeding.

Slowest flow you can get on the nipples.

We've done some practice bottles, but not full feedings. I am trying to pump to get a stash so it is hard to pump even more for practice bottles. I had a decent stash until we figured out lo has a soy intolerance. So I am not using that milk :( He was good with the Breastflow bottles that an LC recommended. I tried both nipples without noticing that they were different stages, haha.

he takes 8 oz during my 10 hr work day, I don't know how they space but they do paced bottle feeding.

Does the daycare have you make up bottles beforehand or do you send the milk in bags?

My DH and MIL watch him, so I bring the milk home in glass jars and they make up the bottles.

Does the daycare have you make up bottles beforehand or do you send the milk in bags?

We've been through several daycares and it varied. The one we were at longest required that the milk was delivered to them in the container that would be used for feeding. They were unwilling to transfer breast milk. The first one was fine with us sending empty bottles and baggies. The second one asked us to send milk already in bottles in the volume we expected he would take, but we were allowed to also send milk in bags and a couple empty bottles that they would use to make up "snacks" if DS was still hungry after a full bottle and so they could make an extra bottle if they ran out of the full ones I sent that day.

My baby uses 4oz wide dr brown bottles with lansinoh momma nipples slow flow. Even with slow flow, he drinks 4oz in 3 minutes!!

My daycare only allows breastmilk in bags. They make the bottles. I think this is because by law they must have certain permanent markings on milk and only the bags you can write with permanent marker.

Baby takes 12oz per 9 hr workday. After starting solids, 2 meals at daycare about 1.5oz each, he still takes 12 oz in the workday.

I pump twice at work. About 6 oz each time. Lately however I'm having trouble pumping enough. Hope my supply goes up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->