• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Boys Hydrocele

Gwizz

Boys Rule!
Reaction score
Just had bens 6-8 week review and it was discovered he has a 'hydrocele' in his testes. The HV said "have u not noticed one is larger?", i honestly hadnt and i feel awful now :blush:

A boy's testicles develop inside of his abdomen while he’s still in the womb. Sometime before birth they usually push through a tunnel in the tissue between the groin and the abdomen and descend into the scrotal sac the passage through the abdominal wall should close up. But if it remains open, as it does in up to 50% of newborn boys, fluid may accumulate around the testicle and cause swelling. This area of swelling is called a hydrocele.

Does anyones else know if their little boy has one and what have u found happens .... I have to get ben checked in a couple of weeks.

xx

Alasdair has a hydrocele in his right testicle. It was noticed when he was still in hospital, then at his 8 week check, then he was checked at 5 months and I have to take him back at a year. The GP isn't concerned because it isn't causing Alasdair any problems (not even sure what problems it causes?) and has said that they usually disappear by themselves. Stupidly, the 8 week check GP and the paediatrician in hospital hadn't written down an approximate size but the dr who checked him at 5 months wrote that it was 'pea sized' so she would know when she checks him at a year. How big is Ben's (hydrocele lol)?

Heya

Bens is in his right one too, but just checking his notes it doesnt say a size :s when she showed it to me it was bigger than a pea, i would say it 'filled' the sac as it were - kinda the size of a 50p.

Im not sure what problems it causes - if any either, but yeah we have to go back and get it checked and they did tell us too that it can disappear, but didnt tell us what would happen if it didnt..

I will have to flag up with the HV next clinic about the 'size'.

It's good to get a documentation of size I think. As we don't know if Alasdair's has shrank or stayed the same size or what! I haven't heard of it causing problems, I think it's just a wait and see kind of thing with them. Boys are trouble!!

hey, i dont have a boy, but work in a paediatric a&e and see these quite frequently!!

things to just watch out for are if it gets red/purple or if he is getting very upset/inconsolable. other than that if they have them when they are this little they should go away. if it give him bother when older, or anything i said above, they may consider a small op to remove it.

xxx

ty guys for your advice and info :hugs: greatly appreciated

:D

oh, and dont feel guilty!! you werent to know hun! boys dont come with a text book lol
xx

Ollie's was picked up at his 9 week check and my GP said it'd sort itself out within the first year but if it doesn't then to go back. He's 6 months now and it's gone x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->