Boys Names Shortlist

bump.on.brain

Reaction score
It’s taken us 29 weeks but I think DH and I finally have a shortlist of names for our DS...

* Charlie
* Joshua
* Alexander
* Oscar

DH has a definite preference for the name Charlie and I do really like it/think it’s started to stick but never thought I would pick an abbreviated name (and I’m not a fan of Charles personally).

Just wondering what others opinions are?

My favourite is Alexander :) I love it and would have used it if i Didnt have an Alice.

I like Charlie but i like a more formal name on birth certificates so id have to put Charles down. You wouldnt have to use it, my youngest is Ellen on birth cert but only known as Nellie.
I do think Charlie can be used as a stand alone name though, its just my personal preference :)

My dogs called Oscar so whilst i do like it i couldnt use it for that reason.

Joshua is my least favourite.

Alexander is one of my all time favourites!

I'm not a fan of Oscar but like the other three. :) I think Charlie also works as a 'full' name, not something shortened. :)

Thanks ladies!

My only concern with Alexander is that we also have an 11 letter surname... so it starts to turn into a bit of a mouthful!

With Charlie, I’ve met a lot of children recently with abbreviated names (Bobby, Reggie, Archie, Alfie) and as far as I know that’s their name on the birth certificate. So think it is becoming more common, just always imagined personally I’d use a more formal name officially but don’t really want to with Charles...

I love them all! Alexander and Charlie are my favourites :)

Thanks ladies!

My only concern with Alexander is that we also have an 11 letter surname... so it starts to turn into a bit of a mouthful!

With Charlie, I’ve met a lot of children recently with abbreviated names (Bobby, Reggie, Archie, Alfie) and as far as I know that’s their name on the birth certificate. So think it is becoming more common, just always imagined personally I’d use a more formal name officially but don’t really want to with Charles...

I think it's perfectly normal these days to use abbreviated names on birth certificate because the nn can take an older name, and make it more modern(like to mentioned Reginald/Reggie). Also Charlie is not a name that would sound silly in the professional world as an adult which I think concerns me when I've thought about using full names/nn on the birth certificate.

Short version: I like Charlie, and would use it as it is!

Thanks everybody! When we had DD it took us until 37 weeks to find the perfect name but once we found it we knew... I think I had hoped for that again this time but am starting to think the “perfect” name doesn’t exist!

I love Charlie and Joshua. Not keen on other two. Alexander will probably get shortened to Alex by friends x

I may be the only one who likes Oscar. Also like Joshua

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"