Breast feeding mamas - which contraception?

Peppermint25

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for some advice abs experiences you have of contraception when you are breastfeeding. After my little girls birth at about 9 weeks I was pressured and convinced by my doctor and HV to go on the implant as they said there was no affect on supply with that. So I got it and have had an awful time. Every 2 weeks ish I have bled which has resulted in 3 - 4 days of a major decrease in supply - empty breasts, no milk being pumped and my little girl hungry and fussy and having to feed every 20 minutes. So iv demanded I get it out this week as it clearly is not working for me and is too stressful.

So what contraception can you recommend I go on now? What do you use that doesn't affect supply?

My doctor suggests I now go on the copper coil. Iv never fancied having it before, however I know that due to exclusively breastfeeding there are not that many options for me.

Thanks in advance!x

Condoms for us until I'm done BFing.

Oh...and the face we hardly ever do it! lol!

Yes condoms or coil is probably the only things that wont have an affect. Sorry you felt pressured to use coil. I tood them point blank I would make my mind up at lster date, were not havihg sex yet mind!

I take the mini pill, doctor confirmed was safe to use whilst BF. It has not affected my supply in any way. No side effects either.It seems a bit off that your HV tried to push any form of contraception on you. Mine just ran through the options and left it up to me to decide.

They push you for coil/implant as its cheaper for nhs to fund than the pill is. I had a coil fitted after tom was born and it was fine x

I'm on the mini pill but going to stop taking it at the end of this pack I think. This is my second pack and I wasn't keen on the idea of putting hormones in my body just after having a baby anyway but I've found it is making me really short tempered and my sex drive has completely gone. We've not DTD in over a month now so no point putting hormones into my body for no reason!!

Think we'll be using condoms (yuck!) until we TTC again in a couple of years... Xx

Does the minipill have just progesterone (sp?) in Kwills?..... I had the coil with just progesterone and was very short tempered too!... I was hoping to go on to the minipill but if it has the same hormone content then I think I'll stay clear!

NFP using the marquette method breastfeeding protocol. No effect on supply at all, and hopefully pre-warning when AF is on her way. We are open to the idea that there is a chance we might get pregnant again though.

Other than bleeding and frequently reducing my supply the implant has definitely affected my moods and made me extremely short tempered too! I don't want any extra hormones in me either so am thinking condoms or copper coil as that is no hormones too. My doc said age does not recommend just condones as she sees so many accidental and unwanted pregnancies a year. An accidental pregnancy would definitely not be unwanted but would be a few years sooner than we planned! Argh what to do...

Yeah the mini pill is a progesterone only pill. Pleased it's not just my imagination or me blaming my short tempered-ness on the pill if other people have found the same!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->