Breast feeding.

could you not express it... i dont know too much bout it but surely it keeps for a few hours???
ive got to look into it myself toria.

NO judgement here! This is just my thinking.

I plan to BF as long as I can. For me it has never been something to think about, or a choice to make. I personally can not imagine wanting to. For me it is an amazing mircle that not only can I grow this baby inside of me, providing eveything it needs to build itself, but I can do so once it is born. No one else can provide food for my baby like I can, it is all for me to get to do. Plus I realized this morning, that I am going to miss being pregnant, and I think that breastfeeding will help that. It is a special bond that no one else gets to have with this child.

I agree that it's totally up to each of us to find the best way that works for them.

Personally, however, I am really hoping that I will be able to breastfeed for a long time.

Why give a human baby milk that was meant for a cow baby, if the real thing is available?

I didn't wanna breast feed at all because I'm not comfortable with it. But I do plan on pumping for 3 weeks-1 month. If it doesn't work well, I won't beat myself to do it. Whatever people think, that's MY decision and they should respect that !

Toria im exactly like you , all the reasons you stated are how im feeling. I didnt breastfeed my first and i was going to do it with my second.

But as the time gets closer im more for bottlefeeding. OH can feed her and we will have the same amount of sleep through out the night ( expecailly as i have a 2 and a half year old to run around with in the morning) and i just dont feel comfortable. I wouldnt do it in public, so id be stuck in . Not only is that unfair for my other child but i couldnt stay in for months breastfeeding!

Breast is best as they say but do what you want , iether way they get fed , and nothing is wrong with my daughter! im bottle feeding and proud :)

Reasons for breast feeding:
People nagging. - Tell them to shut up
Because people tell me to. - because it's proven to be the best start we can give our baby if possible. Babies are designed to drink human milk. Not something processed. If possible.
It's free. - hurrah! And always on hand, sterlized and at the right temperature!

Reasons for not breast feeding:
Personally, I'm not comfortable with it.
Other people can feed her/ bond with her. - pump some off. Daddy can then feed her.
I wouldn't be able to do it in public. I just wouldn't. - buy a hooter hider / nursing cover https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI...567410&tGUID=0524db3d1190a09c13d3a003ffdfb077
I'd feel really uncomfortable around anyone. - me too hence my nursing cover / hooter hider. this way I can feed anywhere!

That's just me, and how uncomfortable I am about my body right now. I feel selfish for most of those reasons I put there, but that's just how I am. I can't help how I feel about it.

there's my suggestions.

hooter hider - that is the best name ever

i will def be breast feeding again its brill helps you lose weight and good with depression plus im a lazy cow can roll over shove a tit in my baby gob and stay in bed simple as no getting up lol plus can express for my oh to feed the baby

I did both, breastfed my 1st and bottle fed my 2nd.. I had problems feeding the 1st, he wouldnt latch on and the MW's were useless and wouldnt help. I did it for about 8 weeks and then gave up and switched to the bottle. My 2nd had the bottle from day 1 with no problems. They say breast is best and gives the baby the best start in life, but my little boy who was breastfed has asthma, excema and terrible hayfever in the summer and always seems to catch everything going, yet my little girl who i bottle fed is a clean bill of health! She is never poorly.. I although i feel guilty will be bottle feeding this one too, just because of my individual experiences. I agree though its down to the mum and whatever you feel comfortable with :hugs:

Thinking about it, my sister (who was bottle fed) is slightly more suseptable to colds but I'm the one with eczema and sensitive skin. I'm not going to do it if it doesn't feel right for me. My mum says I'll know when she's in my arms. So I'll just have to wait and see.

its funny how the debate about breastfeeding is more "do what is right for you" than the debate about alcohol. I totally feel that you should do what is right for you and what you feel is right for the baby, but just to play devils advocate here, why would some people not drink a drop of alcohol during pregnancy, just incase it harmed the baby, and then not breastfeed when there has been far more conclusive research into the latter and the benefits it has - not only for the baby but the mother too.
i guess it has to do with people's perception of risk and benefit. its not always (or in fact is rarely) logical and i think the differences in the opinions of people posting here and in the alcohol one shows it.
Anyway, i just thought it was interesting.

its funny how the debate about breastfeeding is more "do what is right for you" than the debate about alcohol. I totally feel that you should do what is right for you and what you feel is right for the baby, but just to play devils advocate here, why would some people not drink a drop of alcohol during pregnancy, just incase it harmed the baby, and then not breastfeed when there has been far more conclusive research into the latter and the benefits it has - not only for the baby but the mother too.
i guess it has to do with people's perception of risk and benefit. its not always (or in fact is rarely) logical and i think the differences in the opinions of people posting here and in the alcohol one shows it.
Anyway, i just thought it was interesting.
I was thinkling that EXACT same thing, but I didn't really want to say it lol.

I will be breastfeeding for 6 months, should I be able to do it. If not, then it's fine. Ill be a bit disappointed, but its not the end of the world.

I do NOT judge people for not breastfeeding, the same that I don't judge people who have one or two drinks during pregnancy.

But thats just my opinion.

xxx

As with everything else it's a personal decision and no one has the right to make you feel bad about what you've chosen.

My mom breastfed me for about 2 weeks but had to stop because her milk wasn't filling me, I wasn't gaining weight and she was in pieces. So her dr moved me onto formula. My sister was fed formula from day one. We're both healthy people. Have always been healthy. My sister never had any of these allergies they talk about. The only difference was my sister was a really chubby baby LOL whereas I was... well normal.

I'll breastfeed. If I can. I so want to breastfeed for the first couple of months before I get back to work. I'll express milk and introduce bottle feeding at around 6 weeks or so.

I've heard that breastfeeding lets off a hormone that helps your uterus back to it's pre-pregnancy size. The 2 main reasons why I'll do it are because I believe it's best (IMO) for baby and bonding and 2ndly.... well... it's cheaper lol.

tiny toes, how long does it keep for?

Human milk has been found to have properties that protect it from bacterial contamination which allow it to be stored longer than was previously thought. Guidelines for breastmilk storage are as follows:

• Freshly expressed breastmilk may be kept at room temperature for up to 10 hours (colostrum or milk expressed within 6 days of delivery can be stored 12 hours at room temperature).
  • Freshly expressed milk may be stored at temperatures slightly below room temperature (such as in a cooler with icepacks ) for up to 24 hours. If the milk has been kept at room temperature prior to being placed into the cooler, safe storage time in the cooler may be decreased somewhat.
  • Fresh breastmilk may be kept in a refrigerator for up to 8 days. Store milk in the back of the refrigerator rather than in the door. If milk has been kept at room temperature or in a cooler with icepacks prior to being placed in the refrigerator, safe storage time may be decreased.
  • Fresh milk may be placed in a freezer compartment inside a refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. If it has previously been kept at room temperature, in a cooler, or in the refrigerator, storage time may vary.
  • Freshly expressed breastmilk may be kept in a self-contained freezer unit of a refrigerator for up to 3-6 months, depending upon how often the door is opened. Store milk in the back of the freezer. If the milk has been stored at room temperature, in a cooler with icepacks, or in the refrigerator prior to being placed in the freezer, safe freezing time may be decreased.
  • Fresh milk may be placed in a separate deep freeze (chest-type freezer) for 6-12 months. If previously kept at room temperature, or stored in a cooler or refrigerator before freezing, storage time may vary.
  • Previously frozen milk may be kept in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours after it has completely thawed..
One last word about the guidelines: Although the above is the latest published set of guidelines regarding safe storage times of breastmilk, keep in mind that these are just guidelines. It's wise to try to stay as close to them as possible, but milk that is older than the stated safe age, should not be automatically discarded. Milk that is truly bad has a very distinct sour taste and odor. Even if expressed milk is "out of date" it should still be considered safe to give a baby as long as it still has a fresh odor and/or taste.

Long time huh? :D

I'm not even going to start on why drinking when you're pregnant is nothing like whether you breast feed or not.

iwhy would some people not drink a drop of alcohol during pregnancy, just incase it harmed the baby, and then not breastfeed when there has been far more conclusive research into the latter and the benefits it has - not only for the baby but the mother too.

Some women are unable to, like me. I was unable to produce enough milk for my daughter and my son was in the NICU and wouldn't latch on properly.
And the ones that just don't feel comfortable, just don't. They have the right to choose if they want to or not, baby is still getting the nutrients through the formula, not as good but lots of babies grow up healthy on it.

Off topic:
As for the alcohol debate, I don't think I posted in it but I think its fine to have the odd drink during pregnancy, 2nd tri and on I believe (hard liquor exluded). I had some wine during the christmas holidays and I feel no guilt for it. Isis is perfectly healthy and doing wonderful. Like everything else, we have a choice in the matter and you have to do what you feel is right. Nobody should look down on you for deciding something that has to do with only you. Not saying people on here are looking down on others, but just in general.

Yay for freedom of choice and difference in opinions :laugh2:

I'll be BF as long as I can too (up to 18 months or so). DH and I both agree that this is something that is probably very natural and best for our baby. I BF with my first, and it was an amazing experience.

DH asked me the other day if I was going to miss being pregnant. I will definately miss having another person inside me (but won't miss the pregnancy aches and pains of carrying that person lol). I said I would, but that if history is an indication, I was a lot more sad when I weaned DD#1 than when I gave birth. That connection, being THE mama for my baby, it is all of the most wonderful parts of being pregnant (the bond, the love, the nurturing and caring) PLUS the added benefit of looking into LO eyes as you provide their very sustinance as you did when pregnant with them.

I quite frankly LIKED being the only person to feed my daughter. Everyone wanted to take her, hold her, fuss over her that it got out of hand! BF was time that I GOT to have her just for me, and me just for her. Sure it was a pain sometimes when I had other things to do, but it only takes 15 minutes when they get good at eating, and it was a chance for us to reconnect. There are lots of things daddies and siblings can do to connect with baby, and give us moms a chance to take a shower, grab a nap, or just go to the potty by ourselves for once. :dohh:

Infants eat all the friggin time, and new mama's need lots of rest so it's almost a natural forced "sit your butt on the couch and just BF and enjoy baby, relax and get well."

Yes, and the weight loss is a great benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->