Breastfeeding after breast reduction...

Cinnamon

Reaction score
I had a breast reduction two years ago and one of the first questions I asked the doc was wether or not I would be able to BF after the Op. Thing is she said probably not, but maybe. As much as it did change my life, they didn't remove as much as I'd hoped for (only 1 Kg, like 2 pounds) but on the other hand I'm hoping I can BF because of that if that makes sense. Also, when I went for my check-up, I said I expected more removed (in a subtle way) and the doc said if I still have the same feelings after loosing weight (six months after the check-up) they'd re-do my scars ( I had scarring probs) and remove a little more at the same time... I really would love doing it if it didn't mean me taking so much time sick-leave and if I didn't want a baby soon (what's the point of operating if they're gonna balloon with hormones?!?!). Anyhow, times coming up and I still have the worry.

After all the babble, my question is: for you girls who have a baby and had a breast reduction. Could you BF?? How much did you get reduced??

Thanks for reading girls and sorry for this enourmous post. xxx

Hey hun, Not been in the same position as you, but have thought about having my humungous baps reduced so I can stand up straight one day lol.
Ive tried the dieting route and they werent the first place to shrink, so looks like im stuck with them wether I want them or not. I have asked my GP but she said oh your fine, just lose weight...Grrrr!
Im interested in the answer to your question tho, would be good to know for in the future :)
Best of Luck xx

My mum had a reduction and because they remove the nipple and re-place it she was told she wouldn't be able to bf

I haven't had a reduction myself, but know of people who have - some are able to breastfeed, others can't and you won't really know unless you try. It does depend a great deal on the amount of scar tissue in the breasts I think, so it might be better to wait until you've had a baby and tried breast feeding before having another op which would probably reduce your chances of breastfeeding successfully. Good luck :hugs:

I haven't had a reduction myself, but know of people who have - some are able to breastfeed, others can't and you won't really know unless you try. It does depend a great deal on the amount of scar tissue in the breasts I think, so it might be better to wait until you've had a baby and tried breast feeding before having another op which would probably reduce your chances of breastfeeding successfully. Good luck :hugs:

That's exactly what I thought and, as I said, they didn't remove too much, I might have chance:cloud9: I really would love to BF... My nipple was also replaced, I think that's the way they always do it for reductions...

Thanks girls for your answer and I'll pop by to see if any BF mum answers too. :hug:

It depends how they do the reduction. If the nipple was completely removed then its pretty unlikely you'll be able to BF, if they kept the nipple attached and just repositioned it then it's 50/50 (they do tend to do the latter now as it also helps keep nipple sensation).
It's not recommended to have it done if your going to TTC any time soon as the pregnancy will just undo the result and it'll need doing again.
I can't wait to have mine done but gotta wait til I've finished having babies!

Hum, I still don't have proper nipple sensation, or any other for that matter. It's slowly coming back so I guess they did remove it totally. I know they made them smaller to make them more adequate to the new size/shape.
I do higly recommend a reduction for those of you that already have had your share of kids, even if I took longer than usual to heal, If I were to go back to that time, I'd do it all over again. It's upsetting about the BF though...xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->