breastfeeding and major surgery

birdlee337

Reaction score
My baby girl is 2 months old. I am exclusively breastfeeding her. I will need to have surgery pretty soon. I am havjng to have a full hysterectomy....was going to try to put it off as long as possible but I am in too much pain to wait. I have severe endometriosis and adenomyosis. I knew this day was coming but not so soon. I would like to continue to breastfeed her after all the meds wear off. Which I have no idea how long that will be...I will have to pump and freeze alot and then pump and dump. Doea anyone have any experience with this? Have u had to do this? How'd it go? What I am worried about is her taking a bottle! She will take one now but only from my mother....not me!! :( If anyone had this experience was it hard to get her to breastfeed from u agian and not a bottle? THANKS!

I am sorry no one has responded. I have not had surgery while breastfeeding, but I know kellymom has some great resources about it.

https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/meds/anesthetics/

https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/illness-surgery/mom-surgery/

hope these help!

I had to give DS a bottle starting at 3mo every weekday, it was an adjustment and one style did give him nipple confusion but we used the medela calms and that one didn't give us any problems going back and forth.

Hey hon, I have no experience with surgery and breastfeeding so can't advise.

Regarding bottles, my babies all started out taking bottles from others but eventually would take them from me also. It helped me to change things a bit when I bottle fed. For instance, during breastfeeding I used a breastfeeding pillow so made sure not to have it during bottle feeding.

Do you have extra breast milk in storage? If not, it is probably a good idea to start pumping and building up a supply. Good luck.

I don't have much experience to share, but I wanted to suggest you go on the Human Milk 4 Human Babies facebook page and go on your local page if you are okay with milk sharing and need support to get enough for her. I can imagine in your position you are feeling quite anxious, so it might be a good back up/safety net if needed! Just a suggestion, it's not for everyone :)

In regards to the method of feeding I have heard mixed things about going between breast and bottle and back, I think babies are quite different with what they can adjust to. I really hope you're able to continue breastfeeding after your surgery :hugs: If it was me I would probably be giving a bottle once daily to get her used to it before the surgery and hopefully encourage her in time to take one from me.
Hopefully others will have advice about re-introducing the breast.
XX

Thanks ladies for writing me! I appreciate it. Things have changed a little for me. I can't have surgery yet. I am having issues healing from giving birth still...so my dr doesn't think I'll heal well anytime soon. So surgery is being put off. Unfortunately I am now looking at having to quit breastfeeding and go to supplement....due to not bwing able to control my pain. I meed to take pain meds....and I can't while I breastfeed. It's not what I wamt to do...but I may have to. Going to talk to my dr this week about it. :(

Are you sure they can't give you something you can take while nursing? For c sections here they give Percocet and can still breastfeed but maybe its just for short time. I am having surgery next month to remove my gallbladder so notv as big of a surgery but still stressed about freezing enough, etc. Good luck hun!

I posted a similar question a few weeks ago and also got some responses that might help you:

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/b...tfeed-after-getting-surgery.html#post33179757

Are you sure they can't give you something you can take while nursing? For c sections here they give Percocet and can still breastfeed but maybe its just for short time. I am having surgery next month to remove my gallbladder so notv as big of a surgery but still stressed about freezing enough, etc. Good luck hun!

I may actually be getting surgery to remove my gallbladder as well. What did your doctors tell you about the surgery and breastfeeding?

Yea I need to take something long term. :( I don't know what to do. I am so torn!!! I don't want to stop breastfeeding but I can't continue to be in pain either

I was told that I'd have to pump and freeze alot then pump and dump for a good while. It would all depend on what kind of hysterectomy I'd have. So really don't know details til it would happen. However can't have it done now anyhow. Looka like it would happen probably in a year. And by then I'd be ok to stop breastfeeding. Now I just have to decide if I want to breastfeed or not be in pain. However I am not much good to her if I am in pain! :*(

Well ended up getting the depo provera shot today. All went well didn't have any reaction thank god!!!!

Glad you didn't have any reaction! They told me once general anesthesia wore off I could nurse. I had my appendix out and its a similar surgery and I didn't really take anything very long switched to ibuprofen quickly. I have son pumped for the day I have the surgery but will be coming home the same day so shouldn't need a ton, granted im feeling up to nursing or pumping

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->