Breastfeeding and took an herb that is unsafe :( what should I do?

Livebythesea

Reaction score
I think I have a UTI. My sister-in-law is studying Chinese medicine and herbs and told me to get uva ursi. My brother is a doctor but in another state and thinks it might also be a ruptured cyst. Anyway I forgot to remind my sister in law that I am breast-feeding and I took one dose now I don't know what to do because I checked online and you should not take it when breast-feeding!

My baby is exclusively breast-fed with very little solids, because he doesn't like them so far. He doesn't take from a bottle either so I don't know how long to pump and dump to get rid of this herb in my body :( when will I be able to give him milk if he doesn't take from a bottle?

Help!!!

I'm not sure how long the herb will stay in your milk because I don't know anything about its half life and the dosage you took. My HV told me about a day for 8mg of diazepam for pumping and dumping. If you're pumping and dumping and your LO wont take a bottle, feed him watery sloppy foods with lots of yoghurt and cheese. That's what my HV recommended. Hope somebody can tell you how long to pump and dump for :hugs:

I'm not sure how long the herb will stay in your milk because I don't know anything about its half life and the dosage you took. My HV told me about a day for 8mg of diazepam for pumping and dumping. If you're pumping and dumping and your LO wont take a bottle, feed him watery sloppy foods with lots of yoghurt and cheese. That's what my HV recommended. Hope somebody can tell you how long to pump and dump for :hugs:

Thank you so much. I wish I could give him lots of yogurt, cheese but just found out he is allergic to dairy :(

I think if you only took one dose, it should be ok. Generally with these things it's repeated exposure which causes a problem. But to be on the safe side, you could try looking up the half-life of the herb to calculate how long it will be in your body for. Or is there a breastfeeding helpline you can call where you live to get advice?

I think if you only took one dose, it should be ok. Generally with these things it's repeated exposure which causes a problem. But to be on the safe side, you could try looking up the half-life of the herb to calculate how long it will be in your body for. Or is there a breastfeeding helpline you can call where you live to get advice?

Thank you very much I will definitely look up the half-life of the herb and try to find a helpline.

Just go on as normal one dose is likely so small that the amount (if any) passes through your breast milk would be harmless. If you are really concerned, you could pump and dump. No one would really be able to say how long you would need to do this until it passes through UR system..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->