Breastfeeding around older children

I am SO GLAD to hear all of your opinions! I would have never guessed my husband would feel this way about breastfeeding! It is all sort of making more sense to me now... i think DH grew up being taught that EVERYTHING was shameful! I was never even allowed in the bathroom when he was in the shower til we had a talk about it years after moving in together... He doesn't let our son in the bathroom when he goes, and gets uncomfortable and avoids the fact that our son is getting curious about his boy parts, so I've had to potty train and explain about everything without DH! Soooo glad also to hear that I'm not TOO open with DS, he still sees me use the bathroom or get changed sometimes and DH has made me question myself a lot lately!

I am SO GLAD to hear all of your opinions! I would have never guessed my husband would feel this way about breastfeeding! It is all sort of making more sense to me now... i think DH grew up being taught that EVERYTHING was shameful! I was never even allowed in the bathroom when he was in the shower til we had a talk about it years after moving in together... He doesn't let our son in the bathroom when he goes, and gets uncomfortable and avoids the fact that our son is getting curious about his boy parts, so I've had to potty train and explain about everything without DH! Soooo glad also to hear that I'm not TOO open with DS, he still sees me use the bathroom or get changed sometimes and DH has made me question myself a lot lately!

I think that's a shame. I grew up with one of those. They don't realize how much of being a human doesn't come naturally. You learn what's normal through the actions of those closest to you. It's not just about bf, it's about body perception, hygiene, knowing you need to/can get help with a problem. I had an untreated recurring yeast infection for years as a teen caused by untreated pcos and insulin resistance because I had no clue what was normal and what was okay to go to someone with for help. I only got treatment for both when I finally felt like I could go to a gynecologist without my parents assuming I was sleeping around a few months before my wedding. I didn't realize the health department would have helped me before that-- I assumed they would turn me away or call my parents. I hope you're always really open with your son-- it's important for him to feel like your door is open, for everything. My parents never spoke down to me about stuff like that-- we just didn't talk about it, so it felt really strange and forbidden. It doesn't take much to make some (otherwise reasonably-adjusted) kids keep their problems to themselves.

There is no issue in breastfeeding around older children. It's good to be open with it as hiding it may make your child think there is something wrong or something to be ashamed of with breastfeeding. Personally I think that breastfeeding around an older child would be a good thing as it normalises breastfeeding. All mammals breastfeed their young and don't hide it, so neither should humans. It's natural :)

there are probably some childrens books that talk about breastfeeding our feature breastfeeding moms which you could incorporate into your storytime to help normalize it for him before the baby comes

never gave it a 2nd thought in my own home.......kids are so more accepting than others ......when i had my 3rd my 4 and 2 yr old would get their own babies out and lift their jumpers and feed with me it was hilarious............my oh can be a bit more self concious if we are out but usually about me exposing my flab

haha your baby not your husband ;) though maybe reading those books might make something click for him too

I personally think it's weird that some children don't know breasts feed babies......!!!!

I think there is a childrens book about breastfeeding. I think its by the same author that wrote "everyone poops" :)

My husband's like that, I accepted it as part of who he is before, now it's just annoying, like he can't shower naked with his baby son. You're the healthy one, don't let your hubby make you question yourself, he needs to learn to let up on prudishness.

https://www.mothering.com/community/a/25-childrens-books-that-depict-breastfeeding

this came up on my newsfeed on Facebook x

I', breastfeeding in front of other children (my friends' kids) and they seem ok with that. 90% they don't even notice it, some little girls have come close and help my baby's arm while breastfeeding and asked me questions about the baby. Maybe 1 girl asked her mom about it, and her mom explained what BF is and that she was also breastfed.
It is imho a great thing for kids and toddlers to witness because this is the only way BF will be normal again :)

The husband needs to be educated and comfortable around boobs lol!~

My husband's like that, I accepted it as part of who he is before, now it's just annoying, like he can't shower naked with his baby son. You're the healthy one, don't let your hubby make you question yourself, he needs to learn to let up on prudishness.

My husband is the same way. A lot is how he was raised (by his grandfather) when I first told him I was going to bf ds, he insisted I covered up, bring a bottle because I couldn't feed in restaurants etc, after some shock therapy (doing what I want, where I want) he has changed his view points on a lot of things, and is a huge supporter of breastfeeding, without covers too ;). I still handle everything like potty training, bathing, explaining body parts, functions etc.

Back on topic, I nurse in front of my 4 & 2yo, its normal to them, and my friends 5 yo son too. I have had kids at the park come up to see the baby (when 2yo wae nursing) and ask what he's doing. I tell him hes drinking his milk from me instead of a bottle and they say ok and either play with his feet/head or talk about something else. Kids only think its weird if we teach them that.

My bil was very uncomfortable, to the horror of my mil, but my husbands always been fine with it:)

Kids don't care about boobs! This is all your husbands issue I'm afraid.
Yesterday I fed Scarlett in front of a friends 7 year old. She asked if Scarlett was sleeping and I said no, she was feeding. She looked confused as her little sister (same age as Scarlett) is bottle fed, but we briefly explained how babies can be fed either way. She accepted this and got back to reading her book.

My brother is 10 and when Dexter was first born I went upstairs to feed him as we were still at the full boob out, trying to latch for 15mins stage, and he came upstairs and was like 'what is going on?' Turns out he had absolutely no idea that breasts made milk and fed babies! How sad is that that he had never been told that at all! My stepmum couldn't believe he didn't know and it sparked a conversation about bf and how he was bf too and how it works. Now I bf around him very often and he doesn't think anything of it. Really glad he learnt about it prior to his teenage years so we could make it a normal sight for him. X

It's too bad so many men are like this. My husband has always been a great supporter of me breastfeeding. He told me at first it felt awkward for him to watch me expose myself in public, but the more comfortable and normal I made myself look the easier it got for him too. Sometimes you just have to do what feels right to you, they will come around. As for the being naked with his son, it doesn't bother him at all. We take turns getting in the tub with our six month old for bath time, and don't worry about being naked with him. A naked body is a natural, normal thing and we want our son to grow up knowing that. It's not like going to the bathroom/bathing/changing or breastfeeding is sexual!

Hope your oh comes around or at least accepts that your going to do your own thing. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->