Breastfeeding Blocks Pain Of Vaccinations

Jemima

Mother of One
Reaction score
Have a read of this girls. Worth a look as it explains that breastfeeding while shots are being given reduces the pain felt by baby. Interesting.

Breastfeeding Blocks Pain Of Vaccinations

Thanks for this. I always feed her when they vaccinate her. It happened by accident actually. When they came to give her vitamin K injection just after she was born, I'd already started BFing her for the first time. The MW half told me off as she said that they liked to give the injection first. Anyway I said I didnt want to take her off as she'd latched on lovely so she did it while she was feeding - she didnt flinch. Again, by accident, she was BFing when they visited us at home the first time for he heel prick - again, not a muff. So I've just taken to doing it every time now.

I would say though that my sister said she did the same thing with my nephew and he was bottle fed. She would have a bottle ready and feed him while they did it or straight after and it worked the same for them too.

x

Thanks for this. Alyssa is due to have her first vaccinations next week. I was planning on BF her anyhow while the injections were administered so as to comfort her, and this has made me even more certain to feed her when they're given :)

Thanks Jemima. When Pops had her first jabs I asked if I could feed her while they did it but the nurse seemed a bit sceptical so I didn't end up doing it. Fortunately she was fine for her 1st and 3rd jabs, the 2nd seemed to really upset her but I think it's because the needle grazed her leg as it went in. Ouch :(

Helena had her 3rd jabs today, and feeding really really REALLY helped! :)

I am certain that any feeding, be it breast or bottle, will help babies to experience less pain.

Lovely to see a pic of your Pops, Bec!

You have inspired me to update mine!

I always feed harry when he has his jabs... i think i may get bitten if i do it at his 12-18 month mmr jab though!!! Serves me right for letting the nasty lady stab his legs though!!!

wow i wish id read this sooner!
i was worried that BF violet during her injections might cause negative associations with the breast??
will try BF for the next lot in a couple of weeks and see how it goes!

So glad i've seen this. Gemma is due her first jabs in a couple of weeks.. Was dreading it. 8-[

Jasper was a champ for his shots.

He was more shocked than anything! He cried and gave me tight cuddles for a minute and then even red-faced and teary start smiling and chatting again like nothing had happened.

I cant see how I'd BF while he got his shots - maybe they do it differently in the UK - but they give them two needles at once into each thigh. I dont know... it took 2seconds and I could turn him around for cuddles! I guess if he'd fished for boobies I'd given him a comfort suck though, no questions asked!

I did do this with Landon (well bottle with him) and nursed Casen either right before, or immediatly after...not during cause like the pp they did them all at once so it was faster for them..but it really helped them, comforted them alot. I don't miss having to deal with that at all....we no longer vaccinate and Hayden never did so it wasn't an issue with him, but it did really help the other two

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->