breastfeeding /formula for premies

firstbaby9573

Reaction score
Hi all I have premature twins born at 32 weeks - they are now a month old and been home from scbu a week .
Whilst they were in hospital I was expressing milk for them and they have always been on combination feeding.
Now they are home I tried to continue breastfeed but my milk supply hasome gone right down to pretty much nothing so iv had to stop breast feeding as they were getting so worn out trying to get milk from me they wouldn't drink anything else and were waking up screaming.
Iv been trying to express where I can in between feeds but there is just hardly any time and again I'm there 4 ages and getting hardly anything.
I spoke to the health visitor who basically said I'm trying my best and some things r out of out control n don't get upset about it coz it's really hard with twins.

I'm just really upset as I want to keep offering breast milk and I feel like I can't even provide 4 my own babies. I feel like a complete failure and it makes me cry

Anyone got a similar story or any advice?
Thankyou

I don't have an answer for you, but I want you to know you're not alone.

My son was born at 35w6d and spent 6 days in NICU.

I've been exclusively pumping, and feeding fortified breastmilk with formula as supplemental feedings.

I'm seen a decrease in my supply the last few days...week, if I'm being honest. I've been pumping less (4-5x/day) and drinking lots more caffeine. I also haven't been doing kangaroo care.

So, these things are changing beginning today with lots of support from fiance.

I need my supply to increase. I can pump for an hour and not empty. I was getting 14-16oz/day but it's been less than 12 lately.

It's emotionally draining. And the time consumption is exhausting...feeding baby, THEN pump. By the time you turn around, it's time to do again.

Don't be too hard on yourself! I beat myself up so much over formula top ups due to slow weight gain/sometimes loss. You just have to do what is right for you & your babies.

I had a lazy feeder with a poor latch, I did everything I could to get her to feed & gain weight. R was hungry not gaining weight & I was stressed, tired & very sore.

I can't imagine going through what I went through again with two babies. There is help out there if you want to up your supply ... at 17months I have a lot more milk than in the beginning. But you need to do what is right for your family.

Also pumping milk can be very hard - the most I could ever pump was 3oz & that was in the middle of the night. Even now I am full of milk, even though I don't pump now I have tried recently & still pumped very little.

Thanks ladies- it is just finding time to pump - I was given a prescription to up my milk supply but it just made it worse- iv stopped taking the tablets and had a little increase
The most annoying thing us visitors. I try not to allow them every day but I'll have two good days then two bad ones , and partner us out at work so I'm on my Todd mostly.
I'm not at all worried about weight gain if anything as both are gaining extremely well and are increasing his much they drink every week- last week they drunk 90ml each bottle now it's 110/120ml!
I just want to do it for me mostly. Of course it want them to get the goodness but I want to be able to provide for them in that sense and it's upsetting I can't- which us probably just making it worse! Arghhh

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubysan
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->