Breastfeeding in public

scot_17

Reaction score
My baby is nearly 4 weeks and I havent yet fed in public. I have quite large breasts and find it hard to know how do it it without showing everything!

Does anyone have any tips?

I find this "routine" the easiest:
--while carrying on conversation with who you're with or playing on phone if alone, get boob ready - i.e, out of bra, or unhook nursing bra.
--position LO in BF position then just either pop boob out bottom of top (i do this while wearing bellyband) or out top (i do this using a light scarf/shawl thing) or out of nursing top (i found these to be most fiddly though)

practice in front of a mirror first...all i can think of so far!

I have larger breasts too and am not very confident with feeding in public, have done it 4 times in almost 5 weeks.
I find getting the breast out from underneath my top works better with a blanket around my tummy under baby then my top coms right down close to her face covering most of my skin thats on show.
I bought a feeding apron from Mothercare and used it while out and found it very frustrating and fiddly, I couldnt see baby properly, she got a little stressy trying to latch herself on and it just made the whole experience very uncomfortable.
I'm sure with a bit of practice we'll get it down to a T tho :D x

I started NIP last weekend. I find the following helps: wear a bump band under your top so you don't have to worry about showing your belly, if you are really selfconscious t might help you on your first time if your bump band is same colour as your top so it is even less noticeable that you have your top up. Alternatively if you dont have a bump band, wear two vest tops so one goes up and the other goes down. I also have a big baggy cardi from topshop which I like to wear which gives cover from the side. I then lift LO up to the right height so her head is in front of my boob, lift my top up, unhook and fold down nursing bra and then latch on. Cradle hold is usually easiest for discreet NIP.

I found I was pretty nervous the first time, but after that I've been doing it whenever wherever. People don't seem to notice at all anyway. Try to find somewhere quiet and family friendly for your first time and once that's over with, you will hopefully be more confident to do it everywhere else because it's actually very easy to be discreet and not flash too much flesh. I'm getting pretty relaxed about it even though I've only been doing it for a week. Have a feeling that soon I won't even be worried about being discreet :haha:

I wear a nursing top underneath a shirt, and I make sure my bra is the same colour. I get my boob ready-remove layers of clothes, unclip bra-then get LO into position and quickly pull down bra and pull him on.

I don't have subtle boobs, but most people don't notice what I'm doing when I NIP!

I wear nursing friendly bras, nursing bras and tops. I've been breastfeeding for almost 9 months now and at first I was very hesitant to NIP, so I would use light blankets to cover myself and baby. Depending on the shirt I am wearing, I will either lift my shirt and pop out from the bottom or from the top... really depends on what I am wearing though I always try to wear shirts that are slightly low cut in the front. I have a nursing cover that I hardly use anymore because I have gotten to the point where I do not care about discretion, if my baby needs to eat, she's going to eat no matter where I am and I feel if people don't like it, they don't have to look. Hope this helps!!! Good luck and blessed be..

i bought a few vest tops (about 3 pounds each) stretchy ones are the best, then i wear one under my normal top, i unclip my bra and get my boob out ready and pull the vest down over my boob, so my boob is out the top of the vest (tshirt still covering all) i then get baby into position the pull my top up. all thats poking out is a small amount of boob, once babies on you cant see anything. the vest underneath hides my belly, and tshirt hides most of boob.

i bought a few vest tops (about 3 pounds each) stretchy ones are the best, then i wear one under my normal top, i unclip my bra and get my boob out ready and pull the vest down over my boob, so my boob is out the top of the vest (tshirt still covering all) i then get baby into position the pull my top up. all thats poking out is a small amount of boob, once babies on you cant see anything. the vest underneath hides my belly, and tshirt hides most of boob.

this is what i do too.

this is what i do too.

Me three, I'm a two top girl and have always felt covered/ comfortable NIPing this way x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->